Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Jan 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2364418)   #51
6Cilindri
Rookie

Netherlands
6Cilindri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent stuff !

Apparently they now want to sell the car :
http://www.scuderiadelportello.org/forsale.pdf

Interestingly, the car is already build in 1989 for the superturismo. The works team then drove under the banner of Jolly Club CiBiEmme sport and the cars were fitted with the 'normal' evoluzione body kit. The IMSA body kit, as fitted to the car in the picture, didn't appear in the superturismo until 1992.
Old 3 Jan 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2364439)   #52
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Cilindri
Jesper, I think you mean 1992. That year Alfa started with the 155 GTA in the CIVT.
Yes indeed! 1992 it was.

If chassis #28 started life in 1989, could it be a case of a renumbered chassis?

Jesper
Old 7 Jan 2009, 10:09 (Ref:2366897)   #53
malscar
Rookie

malscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are a few more shots I found of Bondy's car. Also cfound one of the Alfa 33 that ran the two WTCC rounds in Aust and for chunterer, the Gemini he was asking about(is there a Gemini thread?)

And you guys thought the first photo I posted was a wet track. Check out the track to the front left of the car.

Old 7 Jan 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2366899)   #54
malscar
Rookie

malscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the Alfa 33 from the 1987 WTCC Calder round.

Old 7 Jan 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2366916)   #55
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by malscar
And the Alfa 33 from the 1987 WTCC Calder round.
Now that's a story that has always puzzled me- Alfasuds and 33s had been raced in Group A by various teams in Europe, but by 1987 were way off the pace in the class and very rarely seen: Despite this, the Autolodi car did the full WTCC season and I think was a registered championship contender, presumably a factory-backed Alfa entry. I can't help wondering why?- there was no way it was ever going to be competitive with the Corollas...
Old 7 Jan 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2366944)   #56
Jesper OH
Veteran

...but as long it finished there was 20 WTCC points for best in class, no matter how many Corollas were in front. I think it even managed a few bonus points for overall WTCC positions as well.

In 1990 several 33s (and Alfasud Sprints) contested the smallest Group A catagory (A6) of the Italian championship fighting lady racer Tamara Vidali and her VW Golf Syncro and at times Russian driven Lada Samaras. Go figure!

Jesper
Old 7 Jan 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2366951)   #57
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH
...but as long it finished there was 20 WTCC points for best in class, no matter how many Corollas were in front. I think it even managed a few bonus points for overall WTCC positions as well.

In 1990 several 33s (and Alfasud Sprints) contested the smallest Group A catagory (A6) of the Italian championship fighting lady racer Tamara Vidali and her VW Golf Syncro and at times Russian driven Lada Samaras. Go figure!

Jesper
Yes, of course- I'd forgotten that only registered entries scored points...
Old 8 Jan 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2367855)   #58
75TB
Rookie

Netherlands
75TB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pictures Alfa 75 EVO

Perhaps that some pictures already have been showed in former pages, but some will be new. In a few days I'll have some pictures of a Grp A 75 that were made somewhere in italy.
Attached Thumbnails
4.jpg   5.jpg   5-Alfa-Romeo-75-82.jpg  

53-Estoril-1986.jpg   75-la%20belva.JPG   200-Alfa-Romeo-75-141.jpg  

Old 8 Jan 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2367867)   #59
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
75TB, i'd like to find more images of Italian Touring Car Racing when it ran to Group A regs in the late 80's/early 90's. (As in pic 2 of your last post with the M3 and 75 side by side)

Do you have any links to sites that have some history etc?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2368141)   #60
KA
Veteran

The photo archive on the Monza Sport website has some late 80's Italian TCC pics- mostly 1989 season, but there might be others. I've linked to a few in several of the Group A threads in the past, but it's probably worth a look (Some nice 1985/6 Monza ETCC shots as well!)
http://www.monzasport.it/public/gall...llery_2005.htm
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2368173)   #61
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thanks KA, some interesting shots on there, albeit not hugely comprehensive I guess.

Plenty of the 75's as well as various M3's and Cosworth's, some looking like prodsaloons?

Last edited by chunterer; 9 Jan 2009 at 16:58.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2368204)   #62
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Thanks KA, some interesting shots on there, albeit not hugely comprehensive I guess.

Plenty of the 75's as well as various M3's and Cosworths, some looking like prodsaloons?
If I remember correctly, the Italian series covered both Group A and Group N, sometimes with separate races for the various classes.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2368272)   #63
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies if this is a repeat but I have not the time to check the whole of this thread.Try www.gtv6-156gta.be Can anyone get the pdf files to open? Ian
Old 9 Jan 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2368276)   #64
Jesper OH
Veteran

Click on the bit size next to the pdf symbol and you should have no problems

Jesper
Old 9 Jan 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2368467)   #65
75TB
Rookie

Netherlands
75TB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Links

Chunterer, I am sorry but I done't have some links for you. I discovered most of the pictures on google with the names of some drivers like Giorgio Francia, Gianfranco Brancatelli, Ricardo Patrese, Mauro Baldi, Nannini and Larini.

The combination of the names with ITCC, WTCC (etc) and the specific years will give you some interesting information.

Some other pictures
Attached Thumbnails
870906SSTT-03.jpg   870906SSTT-108.jpg   870906SSTT-109.jpg  

spa87%2075.jpg   spa87depart4.jpg  
Old 1 Nov 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2573474)   #66
rallyford
Rookie

France
Cannes
rallyford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to buy a IMSA 75 , any idea please ?
Thanks for the help
Old 1 Nov 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2573586)   #67
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see so many Alfa's in various Alfa Romeo Owners Club events I get dragged to by my dad in bog standard production form, so it's a treat to see these in such fine racing trim.

Some very odd racing Alfa's have popped out from the blue over the years, but correct me if I'm wrong this 75 is quite a well known racer?
Old 6 Dec 2010, 05:45 (Ref:2800204)   #68
lanciarally
Rookie

lanciarally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa 75 Turbo

G'day all,
I have just joined and was looking at an old thread on the Colin Bond Alfa 75. In the 90's I was working in an Italian car specialst workshop and the ex Colin Bond Alfa was brought in by one of our customers to work on. In the thread I noticed that someone mentioned a lack of power from the car, I have a very clear memory of it on our dyno, it did only have 400 BHP, but it had in excess of 1100 ftlbs of torque at about 4 to 5000 revs. I can not remember the exact range. But I do recall seeing it at several meetings and it was a very quick car but I would guess not an easy car to drive.
Merry christmas to all.
Old 6 Dec 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2800299)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanciarally View Post
G'day all,
I have just joined and was looking at an old thread on the Colin Bond Alfa 75. In the 90's I was working in an Italian car specialst workshop and the ex Colin Bond Alfa was brought in by one of our customers to work on. In the thread I noticed that someone mentioned a lack of power from the car, I have a very clear memory of it on our dyno, it did only have 400 BHP, but it had in excess of 1100 ftlbs of torque at about 4 to 5000 revs. I can not remember the exact range. But I do recall seeing it at several meetings and it was a very quick car but I would guess not an easy car to drive.
Merry christmas to all.
Warm welcome lanciarally!

The Bond Turbo car had 400 brake??? Jeez, that's a lot more than the M3's had at the time (and not that far off early Sierra Cosworth power!). I always thought the 75 had promise, was nearly on M3 pace in Europe as the factory got to grips with the reliability (after all it was a new car in 1987) but it remains to be seen how it would've continued to fare with continued development on the car had the WTCC continued.
Old 7 Dec 2010, 06:59 (Ref:2800715)   #70
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bond car had a Sports Sedan life after it's ATCC career ended during 1988... perhaps by the early 90s the engine had been 'tinkered' with abit given the freer Sports Sedan regs?
Old 7 Dec 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2800950)   #71
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
The Bond car had a Sports Sedan life after it's ATCC career ended during 1988... perhaps by the early 90s the engine had been 'tinkered' with abit given the freer Sports Sedan regs?
That would be my thought too - an afterlife as a sports sedan. I think it has been mentioned that the Bond-75 ended its life in a crash during such a race, but memory might be playing up!

The car was supposedly a Belgian Luigi Racing prepared car with a promised 280 bhp by early 1987. Actual measures suggested that the rating was closer to 220 bhp, but by the end of the season their own programme had it up to 320 bhp.

In the Italian series the 75 TE was quoted at 400 bhp by 1990, but running to altered Group A regulations - one of the major differences from proper Group A was the size of the intercooler.

Jesper
Old 7 Dec 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2801004)   #72
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks racer and jesper, that sounds more plausible! Maybe they sourced an engine from the ITCC Evoluzione's to get that power output then?
Old 27 Feb 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2837606)   #73
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post

German team owner Frieder Nickel tried the 75 TE for the 1987 DTM with defending champion Kurt Thiim as driver, but poor performance and even worse reliability meant very little in terms of results.
A M. Kopf raced a single DTM race in 1987 with another 75 TE.
The ATN/Nickel car for Kurt Thiim is one we haven't heard much about- found a nice wallpaper-sized pic of it though...
http://www.mycarwallpapers.com/alfa-...o-tcc/1/37166/

Looking at 1987 DTM results, as you say, Thiim and the ATN team had a tough season with the Alfa- they seem to have had some kind of delay with the project, as Thiim appears to have turned out for the first DTM round in ATN's 1986 Rover.

Anything known about the Kopf car mentioned? It only appeared once, right at the end of the season
Old 27 Feb 2011, 23:17 (Ref:2837699)   #74
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
That would be my thought too - an afterlife as a sports sedan. I think it has been mentioned that the Bond-75 ended its life in a crash during such a race, but memory might be playing up!

The car was supposedly a Belgian Luigi Racing prepared car with a promised 280 bhp by early 1987. Actual measures suggested that the rating was closer to 220 bhp, but by the end of the season their own programme had it up to 320 bhp.

In the Italian series the 75 TE was quoted at 400 bhp by 1990, but running to altered Group A regulations - one of the major differences from proper Group A was the size of the intercooler.

Jesper
Werent there 2 Bond Alfa 75's? The one that crashed in Mr Cesario's hands at Bathurst 1987 was seriously donald ducked, and a 75 appeared for Mr Bond at later events that year...

Mr Beninca was on the engine tweaking mode by then wasnt he? Difficult without a fully programmable ECU (MoTeC was a couple of years away at that point...) to unleash the beast of course, intercooler issues not withstanding...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 7 Mar 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2841341)   #75
MPC
Rookie

MPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
]The Bond car had a Sports Sedan life after it's ATCC career ended during 1988... perhaps by the early 90s the engine had been 'tinkered' with abit given the freer Sports Sedan regs?[/QUOTE]

My father used to race quite often against the ex Bond 75 Turbo when it raced as a sports sedan in Australia. It was driven by Bob McDonald (if my memory is correct) with Boxalls signage (blue and and red colours).

I distinctly remember in the early 90's my father sitting on pole for one of the 6 hour races at Eastern Creek and the Alfa joining him on the front row. Dad's car was a Datsun 120Y coupe with a mid mounted 13B pp rotary, 10 inch wheels, big wings etc. The Alfa was heavily modified over Group A spec. I am happy to say that Dad got the better of him.