Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Feb 2016, 10:33 (Ref:3617925)   #201
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe,but two years running winning the championship cannot be taken away from them.Being partly responsible for the cars build,I know for a fact it was 100 percent compliant,so happy enough about it.
Old 5 Mar 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3620174)   #202
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I had my engine size checked twice in one season because I was consistently beating a lot of the next class up, in the end the complainants admitted defeat.
A car that is well driven (and more importantly) everything on that car works in harmony and handles like the driver want's it to is the answer, not just big cc.
In all honesty a few more CCs make sod all difference IMHO !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Mar 2016, 10:57 (Ref:3620175)   #203
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great post Gordon. Some drivers just need to realise that however good they think they are, someone else is going to be better in the same car; sometimes substantially so.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 7 Mar 2016, 08:20 (Ref:3620804)   #204
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I ran a bigger engine with CTCRC 5-6 years ago . . . it highlighted driver/handling deficiencies. Once they were ironed out the car went just as well with the smaller FiA engine.

most engines are ill conceived lash ups. getting all the components in harmony as Gordon suggests makes a hell of a difference.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 08:52 (Ref:3620814)   #205
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Although I can't argue with any of the above, when you combine an exceptional nut behind the wheel, all the oily bits harmonised AND an oversize engine producing more power / torque, then the car must surely be faster than one with less power / torque?

Apologies for going OT.....
Old 7 Mar 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3621024)   #206
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The skill of the aimer will always be the most important factor but when an allegedly identical car follows you through a tight corner then leaves you standing in a straight drag, no amount of skill can compensate. We've all been there! There are cars and there are cars.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3621286)   #207
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
Just heard that the Marcos 1800 is no longer being granted papers - bit of shame from my point of view as I have always loved quirky British cars
Once homologation has been revoked does this mean even those cars with current papers have them removed ?

Just had a look at the latest update posted by Louis on the other FIA themed thread and it clearly still provides for the Marcos GT (Volvo) in Period F.

So the rumour may be just that.....a rumour

Old 8 Mar 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3621293)   #208
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Just had a look at the latest update posted by Louis on the other FIA themed thread and it clearly still provides for the Marcos GT (Volvo) in Period F.
I'm wondering if what's rumoured to be going on is not on the radar of the AppK editor.....

At RR I had a long chat with one of the gents Terence refers to in his last post, and from his response, I got the impression it's happening. I guess organisers may make their own decision on whether to allow any particular car to race with them in the meantime!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 07:36 (Ref:3621447)   #209
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could just be another Cobra-E Type-MGB thing Mike,it is the regular thing this time of year after all.
In my chosen line of work I am sometimes very surprised by some drivers whom you think "how the **** will I help him/her improve-drive faster etc.
There is one case that really has given surprising results.Ex LM driver,testdriver for top F1 team etc etc.Very pleasant person and fun to sit next to.He realised there were a couple of things he needed to sort out with his approach to driving,been very very surprised by his increase in speed and smoothness.He now has an R8 Audi seat in the 24 Hr VLN with Audi DE team.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 21:11 (Ref:3622569)   #210
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Great post Gordon. Some drivers just need to realise that however good they think they are, someone else is going to be better in the same car; sometimes substantially so.
I obviously fitted the 3.5lt Kent Pushrod engine in for qualifying Sorry about the copy I need a new scanner.
Attached Thumbnails
Spa.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Mar 2016, 22:36 (Ref:3622587)   #211
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I obviously fitted the 3.5lt Kent Pushrod engine in for qualifying Sorry about the copy I need a new scanner.
mostly proper cars, those were the days...
Old 14 Mar 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3622667)   #212
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I was there sharing Andrew Riley's XJS in Barry's race, an A35 in the Top Hat and Rod Longton's MGB in the Six Hour, none of which could keep up with the 3.5lt Anglebox
Old 2 May 2016, 18:08 (Ref:3637909)   #213
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Anyone ever had papers done for a Coombes Mk2 Jag please?
Old 3 May 2016, 19:36 (Ref:3638223)   #214
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Anyone ever had papers done for a Coombes Mk2 Jag please?
What exactly are you looking for .
There are about 3 lots of Homologation papers that might apply for a Mk2 Jag .
The 3.4 ones from 1960.
The 3.8 ones from 1960.
The 3.8 ones from 1966.
Old 5 May 2016, 03:03 (Ref:3638658)   #215
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Ah,thanks tel.Its the 3.8 from 1960.
Old 5 May 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3638864)   #216
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Ah,thanks tel.Its the 3.8 from 1960.
There are not many options & variations on those papers which are only 9 pages .
So I am guessing that Coombes Versions were items that were allowed freely under Gp 2 regs .
And the papers are 65 years old , so the printing & pictures are fading a bit .

But PM me with your Email if you want a copy .
Old 5 May 2016, 20:08 (Ref:3638942)   #217
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
There are not many options & variations on those papers which are only 9 pages .
So I am guessing that Coombes Versions were items that were allowed freely under Gp 2 regs .
And the papers are 65 years old , so the printing & pictures are fading a bit .

But PM me with your Email if you want a copy .
Ooops , 56 years old .
Old 6 May 2016, 03:43 (Ref:3639029)   #218
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Many thanks Tel,very helpfull.I have to travel to Brest to inspect it on behalf of a very good friend.Be nice to know what Im looking for.AlthoughvI have restored four mk2's in the past,they were just road cars.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3672172)   #219
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post

So the rumour may be just that.....a rumour

And certainly there's at least one entered in this years Spa 6 hours.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 17:50 (Ref:3672176)   #220
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
And certainly there's at least one entered in this years Spa 6 hours.
It still is a Period F but if you are to apply for papers it's no longer gonna be a GTS but a GTP.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 05:37 (Ref:3672264)   #221
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just checked the entry list - 3 Marcos 1800GT entered and all in GTS11 class.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 12:50 (Ref:3672321)   #222
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Just checked the entry list - 3 Marcos 1800GT entered and all in GTS11 class.
No Marcos papers have been issued as valid in GTS class, that is down to the organiser accepting cars on out of date papers and/or classifying them as they wish to.
Old 15 Sep 2016, 04:59 (Ref:3672479)   #223
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, this is what always has to be remembered! At the organisers discretion, you could be at an event racing against cars in GTS that have GTP papers, cars racing with out of date papers, pending papers, withdrawn papers, no papers........ I don't mind but would be nice if said organisers classified any such as cars as 'invitation' or similar. Sometimes it happens, but not often enough IMO.
Old 15 Sep 2016, 10:16 (Ref:3672525)   #224
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, this is what always has to be remembered! At the organisers discretion, you could be at an event racing against cars in GTS that have GTP papers, cars racing with out of date papers, pending papers, withdrawn papers, no papers........ I don't mind but would be nice if said organisers classified any such as cars as 'invitation' or similar. Sometimes it happens, but not often enough IMO.
So the whole system is a waste of time then?
Old 15 Sep 2016, 10:56 (Ref:3672533)   #225
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Got it in one.Seems more of a cash cow than what HTPs were originally claimed to be.Why is the FIA involved anyway?Other than taking/screwing,as much money as they can from competitors and owners alike.Most historic events are not FIA sanctioned so why the need to show a set of meaningless papers.

Tags
homologation papers