Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2015, 15:06 (Ref:3582800)   #26
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Completely agree that F1 engine builders aren't exactly shouting about the hybrid technology. But there is a wee Audi out there with the e-tron name tag on it.
Old 14 Oct 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3582912)   #27
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Completely agree that F1 engine builders aren't exactly shouting about the hybrid technology. But there is a wee Audi out there with the e-tron name tag on it.
Guess once its worth its weight in ballast, there may be something to shout about.

4MJ = 1.11 KWh and weighs 200kg adds 40% to weight of the car, sure great tech win!
Old 14 Oct 2015, 23:30 (Ref:3582932)   #28
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Guess once its worth its weight in ballast, there may be something to shout about.

4MJ = 1.11 KWh and weighs 200kg adds 40% to weight of the car, sure great tech win!
WN, it is obvious that the hybrid concept in F1 does not fascinate, are you equally critical of the WEC concept?

Williams fascinates me, they are deeply embedded in the FE series as a manufacturer and I wonder how long it is before we see some sort of Williams FE team and if their work there will give them a jump on the competition in F1.
Old 15 Oct 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3582945)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
WN, it is obvious that the hybrid concept in F1 does not fascinate, are you equally critical of the WEC concept?

Williams fascinates me, they are deeply embedded in the FE series as a manufacturer and I wonder how long it is before we see some sort of Williams FE team and if their work there will give them a jump on the competition in F1.
Yes Casper I am not a fan of the F1 hybrid PUs as I feel they are just there to advertise a really dubious and old technology in widespread use in the automotive industry. There is no room to explore alternative forms of this technology and the power you are allowed to generate from it is certainly not worth the weight penalty that it brings with it. If they want to showcase the efficiency of hybrids, drop the minimum weight down to 500kg and they can try and fit an unlimited hybrid system into the package, the extra weight being carried as a penalty.
The inability to develop and sort out the competitive problems in the units bothers me, and the secrecy surrounding the PUs turns the whole efficiency story into pure smoke and mirrors.

Worst of all the racing is just plain rubbish, and that to me is the point of F1.

If we look at some of the systems that are being run in road cars they are miles ahead of the F1.

The WEC is at least open to exploring alternatives, and is running far more advanced systems than the archaic system in F1. The WEC cars are technically more interesting than F1 and racing is also much better than F1, so I think it is fair to say they are doing a better job. Multiple classes also lends itself to multiple points of interest.

Formula E is an interesting concept although the regulations are again very restrictive and should be opened up more, but I do think that it is a more valid technological pursuit than what is currently being pushed in F1.

At the of the day, I am a racing fan and anything that gets in the way of on track action reduces my interest.
Fragile tyres, pitstops, fuel saving, artificial rules limiting development, aero that limits wheel to wheel action, big heavy cars that have been dumbed down for pay drivers, all ruin the racing.

Last edited by wnut; 15 Oct 2015 at 00:36.
Old 15 Oct 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3583020)   #30
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In my view, F1 has regulated itself into a corner and has neither the will nor the common sense to loosen the reins.

This is where an effective FIA should step in and amend the regs for the benefit of the sport. Instead, they've inadvertently allowed Mercedes to dominate and don't know how to stop it, or aren't prepared to face up to that challenge.

Nascar and the WEC are very good at continually adjusting the rule book to ensure no one enjoys a major performance advantage for very long. The FIA could do exactly the same.

Clearly, every current F1 engine supplier could do with 2/3 years of open development to get their engines right. Merc have done a fabulous job with their PU, and everyone can recognise that, but it's time we moved on and let the others catch up....and fast.
Old 16 Oct 2015, 08:35 (Ref:3583287)   #31
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
In my view, F1 has regulated itself into a corner and has neither the will nor the common sense to loosen the reins.

This is where an effective FIA should step in and amend the regs for the benefit of the sport. Instead, they've inadvertently allowed Mercedes to dominate and don't know how to stop it, or aren't prepared to face up to that challenge.

Nascar and the WEC are very good at continually adjusting the rule book to ensure no one enjoys a major performance advantage for very long. The FIA could do exactly the same.

Clearly, every current F1 engine supplier could do with 2/3 years of open development to get their engines right. Merc have done a fabulous job with their PU, and everyone can recognise that, but it's time we moved on and let the others catch up....and fast.
Yep and I think the FIA will have to allow a 1 year 'ammnesty' to new engine manufacturers to be allowed to develop their engines in real conditions and testing - in either old F1 chassis or a LMP1 mule prior to entering F1 to give them a chance to produce a competitve engine.
Old 16 Oct 2015, 09:01 (Ref:3583295)   #32
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see the point of trickle down hybrid tech from the WEC. The systems work, they work for prolonged periods and there are enough different systems to aid the general development of a few different technologies.

F1 teams are struggling to make their systems work properly for an afternoon, have no option to develop them to make improvements and are, in my opinion, just demostrating how to haemorrhage money.

What's the point? It's certainly not to save the planet when they are olbigated to flying a small town around the world in a zig zag for more than half the year.
Old 25 Oct 2015, 09:13 (Ref:3585394)   #33
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
It could be put right in a flash. Let EJ take over from BE...Rock and Roll..
Old 26 Oct 2015, 10:45 (Ref:3585665)   #34
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
It could be put right in a flash. Let EJ take over from BE...Rock and Roll..
He'd turn F1 into the open wheel version of BTCC. We'd have drivers doing a dance off to be allowed to select a bingo ball from a giant tub to see how many cars we reverse for a grid in 6 months.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 18:36 (Ref:3585775)   #35
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Nearly sounds better than we've got!!