Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Dec 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1799157)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Toro Rosso tried to lure JPM for 2007.

Seems Scuderia Toro Rosso tried to get JPM to reverse his NASCAR decision and sign for the team for 2007:

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/56092

Can't fault them for trying and it would have been pretty oddball stuff!

But I am mainly glad it didn't happen. I mean, think about it: a potential 2008 lineup could have been JPM alongside Sebastien Bourdais. I don't think F1 and, more importantly, this forum could cope with this titanic clash of massive egos!

It is possible to have terrifying nightmares over this scenario.
Old 25 Dec 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1799160)   #2
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Seems Scuderia Toro Rosso tried to get JPM to reverse his NASCAR decision and sign for the team for 2007:
Rumours in several German Newspapers say Audi has also tried to get Montoya for a DTM-Drive...

But for Audi as well as for STR it should be difficult to pay JPM out of his Ganassi-Contract
Old 25 Dec 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1799162)   #3
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would love to see it happen.

montoyas career in f1 ended short, he is one of the most exiting drivers ive watched, and he definaltey has it still in him to win world championships.
Old 25 Dec 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1799192)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya was a very natural driver, just like Alesi and Senna..in terms of natural supreme talent IMHO. Everyone would want him on their team any series...
Old 25 Dec 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1799198)   #5
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Montoya was a very natural driver, just like Alesi and Senna..in terms of natural supreme talent IMHO. Everyone would want him on their team any series...

Well obviously not everyone, or he wouldn't have gone................
Old 25 Dec 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1799226)   #6
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you can't blame them for trying...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Dec 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1799309)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Its sad Montoya has left the sport. For me, he brought more to F1 than Schumacher ever did, yet both won't be racing next season in F1.

I hope that a team can persuade him to come back, maybe in 2009 when we get real racing cars back on the grid...?
Old 26 Dec 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1799313)   #8
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can't bame them for trying.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1799333)   #9
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
this "news" is about 6 months old, JPM drove for Helmut Marko in F3000 and eversince Red Bull got their first team in F1, Markso said on ORF1 (Austrian tv) not once and not twice he wants a character like JPM, this came on again straight after the US GP, actually it wasnt just about STR, Juan coulda secure either of the 4 Red Bull seats easily, fact.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1799389)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally if I were Berger I would rather have Bourdais in my team over Montoya. That said, I dont blame Torro Rosso for approaching Montoya, he is one of the best available drivers, a 2008 line up of Bourdais and Montoya could be firey but it could also prove to be a good decision.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1799392)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hard to believe that Tosso Roro would ever have JPM in his line-up... it would be a downhill for the colombian.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1799393)   #12
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Half way through a season of JPM at STR it would have been Free Willy; with Knowlesy standing on the rocks and yelling at JPM, jump Juan, you can make it.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1799394)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To me JPM just doesn't seem to suit STR, I thought as they were the Red Bull B team they were for the development of Red Bull drivers.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1799402)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Half way through a season of JPM at STR it would have been Free Willy; with Knowlesy standing on the rocks and yelling at JPM, jump Juan, you can make it.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1799407)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
this "news" is about 6 months old, JPM drove for Helmut Marko in F3000 and eversince Red Bull got their first team in F1, Markso said on ORF1 (Austrian tv) not once and not twice he wants a character like JPM, this came on again straight after the US GP, actually it wasnt just about STR, Juan coulda secure either of the 4 Red Bull seats easily, fact.
I do apologise.

I had known about the Red Bull seats mind you, that was a rumour since Alonso was announced as a Macaroon driver for 2007. Toro Rosso never crossed my mind, simply because we generally assumed it was for young Red Bull recruits and their development.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1799439)   #16
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM
Well obviously not everyone, or he wouldn't have gone................
he left f1, and didnt give anyone a chanmce to sign him up because he had already signed with ganassi. corrnect me if im wrong

i think montoya has lost interest in f1 sayng its too boring or something like this.

im sure if he was to say in a press releae, he plans to come back to f1, alot of teams would be knocking on his door.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1799444)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It is unlikely. Apart from anything else, he is in his thirties which is a bad start.

It would be wonderful to see him in the cars with no aids in future, but I fear NASCAR will be too enjoyable and by then the F1 paddock will have forgotten about him, if not already.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1799463)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Already...
Old 26 Dec 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1799464)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Juan Pablo who?
Old 26 Dec 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1799535)   #20
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
well regardless if hes in his thirties or not hes still very fast. id sign him up no question
Old 26 Dec 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1799536)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
As far as STR being a talent pool for Red Bull I think that is a little fanciful.

There are far more chepar ways of developing F1 talent than using an F1 team. Minardi waspurchased more as a speculative venture because F1 teams were drying up regarding limited numbers and owning a second team could be worth a 100 million or two if another manufacturer came into the sport. Berger bought half (?) off Red Bull to lessen the exposure and it was good PR to have Gerhard involved but funding two teams will be a big ask in the long term. Hence the move to pay drivers this year...
I think STR's finances are alot more limited than many would realise. There is a budget and it has it's restraints.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1799574)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

but I fear NASCAR will be too enjoyable .
I read an interview with JPM on NASCAR.com and he's enjoying the life (inc the paddock life) too much already to ever come back to F1.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1799633)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
We've heard all that before though, how many times did Mansell apparently "retire"?
Old 27 Dec 2006, 01:16 (Ref:1799655)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
We've heard all that before though, how many times did Mansell apparently "retire"?
No official word yet.
Old 27 Dec 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1799811)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Nothing's impossible with F1, but it's true that a return for him is unlikely.

The STR story wouldn't have been that surprising if for the fact that other than Marko being a big fan, I seem to remember that whilst BMW Sporting boss, Gerhard was JPM's biggest fan when he came into F1 with Williams, likening him to his old buddy Ayrton and the like.

Then last year a dramatic u-turn in his appraisals of him...

Why did Mr Berger go off Juan so much, was it because of the 2003 bust up and his missing out on the title?

Tags
jpm