Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 28 Apr 2003, 09:07 (Ref:582606)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kirkistown

Can anyone give me some info on Kirkistown - does it have a website and track tips pls as I racing there Saturday
Old 28 Apr 2003, 11:40 (Ref:582752)   #2
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Point-5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know about a website but try www.trackskills.com , its a track day company that runs on the Kirkistown track.

As for tips, be fast out of the last corner(hairpin which leads onto long start/finish straight) and also quick out of the chicane (again leads onto a long straight).

First kink right (Debtors) is flat in just about every car!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 11:58 (Ref:582768)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
simon, they don't have a website but there are several websites that have details on them - apart from track tips, is there anything specific you want to know - I marshal there a lot so may be able to help.

What are you racing in? Unfortunately, this is one event I won't be at, as I'll be in Brands - good luck though.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 12:05 (Ref:582774)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am racing a Lotus Eleven in BRDC 50's Sortscar Championship. Its a busy weekend I am at Donnington on Monday in the Eleven and and Alfa in the Cloth Cap and Top Hat races!! Thanks for the help from both of you I have looked at the photos and it has helped a bit to flesh out the course notes!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 17:07 (Ref:583006)   #5
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kirkistown is a super circuit. I've been on pole there. Ahem.

seriously, the lap should go like this.
Debtors is the left kink after the start finish line, flat out, no questions asked. The first corner is Colonial One and is a lot quicker than it looks, keep it tight to the kerb in order to straightline Colonial Two. Fishermans is a long right hander that is classically 'slow in, fast out'. The chicane is really the key to the lap in my opinion. The best entry is to hammer the kerb on the way in, it is not steep and is a big target. On the way out, the kerb is higher and rougher and you need to be careful. A lot of cars spin back across the track after whacking the kerb and then getting on the dirt on the outside. A good exit there is worth a fortune in lap time as the next corner is a while away. When you do get there, brake in the center of the road, maybe just a bit to the left and be sure to get the power on early, very early. This hairpin is tight though so watch the angles or you could end up facing the wrong way. They have resurfaced part of the main straight, but take no chances, the left hand side used to be very bumpy so avoid it. Then its back to Debtor's Dip and go again.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 21:15 (Ref:583209)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ah so you drive a Vee and you've been on pole - my mission to crack your identity is moving on...

Also handy to note - debtors diner does a great breakfast!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 06:33 (Ref:583437)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

thanks Irv the Swerve that is great and I have made note of yr comments on my circuit guide notes. What about in the wet (as I gather it rains a bit out there!) are there different lines/ tricks to know?
EvilPumpkin thanks for the breakfast tip - I am flying over for the race with easyjet so a good breakfast will be v welcome!!!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 07:42 (Ref:583476)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Go for the full Ulster breakfast!

Obviously, I don't drive the circuit, but just a comment about the wet - stay off the grass if you can - particularly around Fishermans and Hairpin. Both areas have very wide grass run off areas and once you hit the wet grass, you'll be in for the slide of your life - and you'll find it very difficult to rejoin - if at all.

Also, do pay attention at the drivers briefing (not that I'm suggesting you wouldn't....! ) - different protocols are used at certain meetings about how to safely exit the track after racing and they will fine you if you get it wrong!

Oh and feel free to wave to the marshals
Old 29 Apr 2003, 07:59 (Ref:583491)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

the full Ulster sounds like i will be ballasted for the day!!! thanks for the tips and i presume from your comments you will be at one of the stands - my car is 44 and is bare aluminium (its actually the original 1957 body so carries a few scars on it!!)
Old 29 Apr 2003, 09:57 (Ref:583579)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I won't be there this weekend as I'm at Brands for the CART - so yey on the CART and boo on the missing you at Kirky - but I'll be there for the rest of the year if you're planning to visit again!

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 29 Apr 2003 at 09:58.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 10:01 (Ref:583584)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

only time this year! thanks for all the help I will report next week how i got on!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 10:34 (Ref:583614)   #12
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
Ah so you drive a Vee and you've been on pole - my mission to crack your identity is moving on...
It'd be a lot easier if we knew it was for an A race... Or are you the person that qualified on pole for the A race because it rained after the first qualification session? Did you fluff it on the start?

Simon. I'll be there this weekend. First time this year. Generally all meetings at Kirkistown are good.

Forgot to add that a wide line around Fishermans is quickest in the wet (as the inside holds a big puddle). Stay off the exit kerb (left hand side) of the chicane in the wet (lest you want to visit the bank). Debtors is flat in the wet.

Last edited by av8rirl; 29 Apr 2003 at 10:42.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 10:37 (Ref:583617)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

is rain forecast? or should I take it as granted it will rain? This is my first ever visit to N.I.! What are Kirkistown Sports Cars and Dunlop Supercars?
Old 29 Apr 2003, 10:51 (Ref:583629)   #14
loadsaaaTOP
Rookie

loadsaaaTOP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good tracvk, pity about some of the drivers though. A 600 bike engine was keeping up with vauxhall lotus's and more!!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 11:01 (Ref:583641)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

fortunately I am confident abt the ability of the drivers in my championship as its National A minimum lvl licence requirement!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 11:37 (Ref:583676)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Like all circuits, Kirky has its own personal weather system. Having said that, I can only remember two events in the last 2 years that it rained - it's not actually too bad there.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 13:31 (Ref:583770)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

I will keep my fingers crossed! The chicane in the wet sounds unforgiving! I hope there is a decent run off I dont want to dink the car and miss Monday race!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 15:42 (Ref:583928)   #18
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
[B] Or are you the person that qualified on pole for the A race because it rained after the first qualification session? Did you fluff it on the start?

No and Yes.
and it was a B race anyway, but I always say it because I am useless.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 15:57 (Ref:583948)   #19
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's nothing worse than being on pole for the first time. I'd say that many a lad has fluffed it first time out. Its so much easier to start 3rd or 4th.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 16:29 (Ref:583987)   #20
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
*squinting* Keith is that you?

Simon - there's a reasonable size run off at the chicane - just try to avoid the flagpost - we marshals get twitchy when you aim at us!

Just remember - black stuff yours - green stuff ours. Keep to that and you'll be fine...
Old 29 Apr 2003, 16:39 (Ref:584007)   #21
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Point-5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding Colonial 1, Head for the first apex then let the car run away a bit from kerb (no more than a car width) and head back for the second bit of the kerb, colonial 2 is not really a corner at all, its just a kerb that juts out on your natural exit line that you should avoid.

Fishermans is a never ending right hander that leads out onto a short straight before the all important chicane, there is a service road on the left just before Fishermans, brake at it and turn in just after it, not much braking is needed.Turn in is later than you think, the first 'apex' you see is too early and will cause you to come off the power on exit.

There is a qualifying line and a racing line at the last hairpin...In qualifying go past the corner before turn in and come back on with full throttle, can be worth 3 or 400 RPM by the end of the straight...don't even attempt this in the race if there is someone behind you, but it can work for a possible overtake manouvre.

In practice you should try go as late as possible on the brakes at the first and last corner as there is plenty of run off if you go too deep.

Have Fun!!!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 16:44 (Ref:584013)   #22
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Believe this bunch Simon, you'll believe anything ... ;-)
What is 'blarney' in any case?

Last edited by gfm; 29 Apr 2003 at 16:47.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 18:29 (Ref:584116)   #23
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
There's nothing worse than being on pole for the first time. I'd say that many a lad has fluffed it first time out. Its so much easier to start 3rd or 4th.
It was my first ever race too.
The pressure, the beer, the bird in the tight jeans that i could see in my mirror while we were assembled......
Old 29 Apr 2003, 18:34 (Ref:584122)   #24
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Point-5, what do you do for the chicane.
Quickly now, the race is on Saturday...
Old 30 Apr 2003, 06:45 (Ref:584589)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

many thanks for all the tips, having seen my opposition for the race I fear my fate is already sealed - just a case of how close to the rest I will be!