Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 May 2006, 08:15 (Ref:1603093)   #1
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC, Historic Superprix, Brands Hatch - 6 & 7 May, 2006 (with photos)

Hi guys........has anyone got any pics of the meeting.especially of car 2.Jamun T2 driven by Paul Sleeman......and of the f1 car that hit the pit wall...........he decided to hit us.standing under him and smash.....coverd in carbon fibre....dnt know if this would have been better posted in the phots section.cheers guys
Old 8 May 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1603108)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Beat me to it, Scott. I'll post a few pics up later, although don't think I have either of those you are seeking.

Great 2 day meeting, although the the feature races, the Grand Prix Masters, were a disappointment - 20 cars entered, 13 started, and 7 finished on saturday. A few more got to the end yesterday. The other poorly supported race was for pre Pre 61 GP cars but that had such a fantastic 3-way dice for the lead, between Rod Jolley, in the Monzapolis, Nigel Smith (Ferrari 246 Dino) and John Clark (Cooper T43), that hardly anyone noticed, the lack of cars. Coupled with a fine drive to 4th, with fastest lap, by Richard Parnell in the Walker Climax F1, this was actually one of the best races of the weekend. Great grids for the rest of the races though and loads of wonderful cars; more later! I'm changing the thread title, slightly. Hope that's OK!
Old 8 May 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1603152)   #3
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Thats fine...thank you. Took me missus for her 1st ever encounter with a race and got her coverd in fibre glass....thouroughly agree with what you were saying regarding numbers and pre 61 Gp cars. Good weekend all in all. Paul qualified 3rd finnished the race 2, demoted to 3rd after red flag. ( ff1600 ) Cheers all
Old 8 May 2006, 10:12 (Ref:1603186)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just to clarify Scott's comments about fibre glass and the pit wall, this refers to Nick Rini's accident in the the Surtees TS19. He came through in 3rd place at the end of the first lap, but on the exit from Clark Curve seemed to spear right into the pit wall and spun along it throwing shards of glass fibe everywhere. It looked like a nasty accident, but although the car looked pretty secondhand, Nick, fortunately emerged OK.

Last edited by John Turner; 8 May 2006 at 12:11. Reason: Missed an important word out!
Old 8 May 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1603189)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly I had to pull my entry as my engine isnt ready but when I saw the rain on Saturday at home I was glad to be in Hampshire dry than understeering in the wet!!! I gather the first lap of classic sports cars had an incident started by Les Ely's Jaguar. He doesnt seem to have much luck in the wet - I recall a year ago he stuffed it into the outside wall coming out of Luffield on the formation lap - not even the green flag one!!!!
Old 8 May 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1603191)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, Simon, the last race on Saturday, the 40 minute, HSCC Classic Sports car race, with driver changes, got by far the worst of the weather for the weekend. Several drivers commented that they could see virtually nothing.
Old 8 May 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1603195)   #7
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We were lucky with the weather on Sunday - great for Jason in the griff but less so for my Fulvia. Jason did really well in the first HRS start - up to third. Then a red flag and restart and the Griff stalled on the grid! Still, he made up 20 positions and got to 8th by the end - not bad at all.

I had a great race in the Fulvia except at the begining. The back end of the grid was totally incorrectly set up, meaning I lost 2 valuable and hard won grid positions. I was so concentrating on this that I missed the lights completely and ended up going into the first corner 2nd from last! The kennedy's clearly need to learn how to start! Anyway, I battled to get past my 2 class mates and then my class leader span and I just about clung on until the end. An unexpected class win in the dry. Sadly a red flag with Matt Bannister's Datsun suffered a nasty accident (car on it's roof) but thankfully he was fine. Sadly 5 minutes of our race lost but for completely understandable reasons.
Old 8 May 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1603246)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were there a lot more cars there on Sunday? I went on Saturday and quite enjoyed it but I thought there would have been more cars present.

The weather for the classic sports car race. I tried to take a couple of photos but all I got was high resolution chainlink fence. I was standing just outside turn 1 and most drivers were pretty cautious through there. The two leaders in the Chevrons, #49 and 29 were miles ahead of the field, the only drivers that had real confidence to hold it flat through the dip. I think they ended up lapping up to 4th place. The guy in #70 Jag was catching #17 I thought it would bea good fight but faded in the last 5-10 minutes.

One guy in the light blue open top car, #30. (I don't have the program handy) was pretty spectacular through there having one rather large spin and somehow just keeping it on the black stuff!

Also the WSC race was great too. #11 in the T70 Spyder was on pole but had a spin somewhere, I missed. Then drove back up the field to 2nd, intercepting the other 2 T70s that were having a strong race, before running wide around the back and falling back to about 4th.

Any news on the few guys that got caught up in the accident in the classic f-f crash? I saw flying cars and smoke and steam from down the straight from a distance. A pity because there was a great race between 6 or 7 cars fighting for 2nd.

Sorry I can't name names, I don't have the program handy and it was my first hscc and brands hatch event!
Old 8 May 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1603248)   #9
zac510
Veteran

Oh and the Saloon cars were great value too!
Old 8 May 2006, 11:46 (Ref:1603251)   #10
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Yeah me missus krystal was a little shaken..........her first encounter with crashing cars........and that close.......haha

She will be bck tho..nicks alright...****ed of he lost the front of the car.....not sure how it happend...dnt know if he was tagged or too hard in on cold tyres?

All the best guys
Scott
Old 8 May 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1603278)   #11
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDay
Hi guys........has anyone got any pics of the meeting.especially of car 2.Jamun T2 driven by Paul Sleeman......
I was there for www.ff1600.co.uk, I have pics of Paul Sleeman. PM me if you are interested

Hubble
Old 8 May 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1603301)   #12
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
Have done.......cheers all
Old 8 May 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1603303)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I guess I ought to start with Tony Trimmer's return to the track in the Derek Bell Trophy. The result was pole and an emphatic win in the Lola T332. Here he exits Paddock Hill Bend,during qualifying:-

A contrast in Yellow; Peter Shaw's Brabham BT35

Qualifying for the HSCC 70's Roadsports. Ladies to the fore! Christina Totty's TVR 3000M, followed by 'our' Louise (LAK). Paul Anderson's evocatively liveried Porsche 928 lurks! :-
Old 8 May 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1603314)   #14
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
hi, any of paul sleeman? or the HFF?
Old 8 May 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1603371)   #15
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
nicks alright...****ed of he lost the front of the car.....not sure how it happend...dnt know if he was tagged or too hard in on cold tyres?

All the best guys
Scott
The only reports we had, indicated that he did it all on his own. A great pity - nice car and one of the good guys!
Old 8 May 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1603375)   #16
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510

Any news on the few guys that got caught up in the accident in the classic f-f crash? I saw flying cars and smoke and steam from down the straight from a distance. A pity because there was a great race between 6 or 7 cars fighting for 2nd.

Sorry I can't name names, I don't have the program handy and it was my first hscc and brands hatch event!
Only one driver was slightly hurt, taken to hospital for a check up and by yesterday midday was sitting at home, watching the Grand Prix and worrying about getting the car fixed.
Old 8 May 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1603410)   #17
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How pleasing it was to see one of the first F2 Coopers. It was a T41 (F2 4 56) with single cam Climax. Roy Salvadori and then to New Zealand (Syd Jensen). Now with Ian Horner. Shame it had a problem and did but a couple of laps in practice.
Old 8 May 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1603418)   #18
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a sequence of pictures here showing John Bladon's nasty FF shunt.

http://www.photoscene.biz/mp_client/...alse&ckw=false
Old 8 May 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1603626)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Shaun Hazlewood, about to head off for qualifying in his Singer Chamois:-

Although, looking through the safety fence, I couldn't resist this one. Gabriel Kremer's Morgan Plus 4 on Paddock Hill:-

History in the making? On the left, Mike Eagles and on the right, Justin Murphy, alongside their Milano GTs. In the middle, the first appearance in competition in the UK, the JWF Italia of Daniel Wood, who was having his first race. The connection? JWF built the Italia based on an Austin Healey BN4 chassis and running gear in 1954/55; they went on to built the later Milanos.

This was almost certainly the first time that the three cars had ever appeared on the grid together and they all started the race (HSCC Road Sports Championship). Unfortunately, however a first lap accident necessitated a red flag and restart and Daniel was unable to get the Italia off the line a second time. The car had been running hot in qualifying and it maybe that it had stalled and could not be restarted. I hope that we will see it out again soon. The Milanos went on to finish 3rd and 4th overall.

Last edited by John Turner; 8 May 2006 at 19:23.
Old 8 May 2006, 23:26 (Ref:1603813)   #20
zac510
Veteran

That's good news John. Certainly looks even more spectacular in the photos Alan posted.
Old 9 May 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1604007)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Which bit is 'good news', zac? Also, unfortunately, Alan's link doesn't seem to work for me.

(Edit - OK, found it; this should take you direct:-

http://www.photoscene.biz/mp_client/...alse&sep=false

Which ..... is the same as Alan said, and now works for me ....... Great pics!)

Last edited by John Turner; 9 May 2006 at 08:48.
Old 9 May 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1604014)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought this was a oddly worded response as well!!
Old 9 May 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1604101)   #23
Expat
Rookie

Expat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
on the exit from Clark Curve seemed to spear right into the pit wall and spun along it throwing shards of glass fibe everywhere. It looked like a nasty accident, but although the car looked pretty secondhand, Nick, fortunately emerged OK.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I managed to do exactly the same thing in my BT 21 qualifying in the rain (was to be my first race) at the 2004 Superprix. I really thought I was aimed pretty straight (though Brabham straight as we know isn't straight at all) came on the cam and the rear wheels suddenly lost grip after the spot where Clark Curve's camber dips and compresses the car a bit and the rear end snapped around. Had wiggles there a few times previously in the dry testing which I always had "caught" before getting too out of shape.

Nasty place with the pit wall there. I took out a foot of the front space frame. I was only a bit bruised and damn lucky not to have had worse back/neck/foot/leg injuries. Peter and James Denty - who did a cracking job restoring the car earlier - put the car right, but I have been a bit spooked to drive since. Entered and completed without incident (this was the goal) the Superprix CRC race last year but came dead last "by some measure" and now taking this year off from testing or racing and to think about where I want to go from here.

Expat
Old 9 May 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1604143)   #24
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Which bit is 'good news', zac?
it's the late night posting. I meant: good news johngee, that the drivers are well!
Old 9 May 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1604170)   #25
PaulCherry
Racer

PaulCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi guys........has anyone got any pics of the meeting.especially of car 2.Jamun T2 driven by Paul Sleeman......
I took a couple...