Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 26 Jul 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2931346)   #26
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
ssperka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssperka View Post
All 1970 ownership of T220s was by Carl Haas, only.
I must correct myself on that statement in that Jerry Hansen acquired the remaining T220, SL220/2, to replace his T165 with which had he garnered an invitation to the 1970 SCCA Runoffs in ASR. He apparently purchased this latest hardware for the ASR championship race run November 29, 1970, where he earned an uncharacteristic 2nd place. IIRC, Jerry won an amazing 26 SCCA Runoff national championships in ASR, BSR, FA, FB, and GT1 cars.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2931509)   #27
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911DE View Post
I can confirm that David Edwards has acquired HU7 and the history is as follows:
1970 imported to US by Carl Haas
1970 sold to Bob Nagel (colour Blue)
1972/3 sold to Gene Fisher, USA
1980 sold to Chuck Haines
1981 sold to Noel Gibb UK and raced by Ray Mallock and Gerry Marshall
1984 sold to Martin Colvill of Bell & Colvill (colour white)
1989 sold to John Hunt
1996 sold to Geoff Hobbs (L&M colours)
2004 sold to David Edwards

Can-Am history:
11th St. Jovite 27.06.70
14th Road Atlanta 11.07.70
10th Donnybrooke 12.09.70

Is anyone checking this information with known info, ie race results?

The St. Jovite/Mont Tremblant Can-Am was on June 28, 1970, and the 11th place finisher was Horst Petermann in a McLaren M1C-Chevy.
The race on the second weekend in July ("11.07.70") was at Watkins Glen and it was run on the 12th. 14th place finisher was Bob Bondurant in a Lola T160-Chevy. The Road Atlanta Can-Am referenced was on Sept. 13 and there was no 14th place finisher if you don't count DNFs.
The Donnybrooke Can-Am was on Sept. 27 ("12.09.70") and the 10th place finisher was Peter Gregg in a Lola T165-Chevy.

If someone was presenting a car to me with this "data". I would be suspicious of the whole dea!!!
Old 26 Jul 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2931519)   #28
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
Quote:
Is anyone checking this information with known info, ie race results?

The St. Jovite/Mont Tremblant Can-Am was on June 28, 1970, and the 11th place finisher was Horst Petermann in a McLaren M1C-Chevy.
The race on the second weekend in July ("11.07.70") was at Watkins Glen and it was run on the 12th. 14th place finisher was Bob Bondurant in a Lola T160-Chevy. The Road Atlanta Can-Am referenced was on Sept. 13 and there was no 14th place finisher if you don't count DNFs.
The Donnybrooke Can-Am was on Sept. 27 ("12.09.70") and the 10th place finisher was Peter Gregg in a Lola T165-Chevy.

If someone was presenting a car to me with this "data". I would be suspicious of the whole deal!!
OKAY !! The year is wrong in the provided "data". Those results are from 1971, as should be the beginning of the Nagel ownership. That explains a lot.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 01:07 (Ref:2936771)   #29
davidpozzi
Rookie

davidpozzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Larry Johnson raced in the 1975 (6th) and 1976 (3rd) SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta in ASR in his T222 and received an invitation for the 1977 Runoffs (did not arrive) in which his entry was a T222, so the car couldn't have gone to Japan until much later than 1974.

Thanks for the update. The current owner Mr Church has talked to Mr Johnson but My posts here were what I could remember & not taken from any notes. Kazato died in a racing crash in 1974 http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=138
Here is the Larry Johnson info: http://www.racingsportscars.com/driv...on-USA-II.html
I have seen the Revson T220-2, the tub looks like a T220 that was lengthened. And has quite a few visual differences to a T222 tub in the dash to roll bar area. I noticed the steering shaft angle was changed & the original position was still there. Haas team member Ike Smith knows a lot about this car. After crashing the T220, Lola modified this T220 tub into a T222.
David

Last edited by davidpozzi; 7 Aug 2011 at 01:20.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2936776)   #30
davidpozzi
Rookie

Sorry it's too late for me to go back and correct the prefix to "SL" instead of "T", after a half-hour, I'm locked out of editing my posts.
I should have also should not have implied the car was a 222, it was a one-off lengthened 220, the 222 tubs had lots of differences.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2936798)   #31
911DE
Rookie

England
London
911DE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for your post. I own HU 7 and have some history but woud be grateful to acquire any data to add to the notes i have.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 08:32 (Ref:2936810)   #32
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
going places over the past several confronted me with the following cars:
(in order of the attached pictures)

1. The LM/Revson car was exhibited at the Monterey Jet Center in Audust 2010, owned by Canepa in California, the accompanying description was not specific about its actual chassis number
2. The LM Car Chassis number 2 as offered for auction by Bonhams at the Quail Lodge, coming from the Rosso Bianco collection, that was bought lock stock and barrel by the owner of Bonhams, who has subsequently used his auction house to get rid of the cars he does not want for his own collection (I am sure everybody knows whom I am talking about )
3. Chassis 03 was offered by Bonhams during their Monaco HGP sale in 2010. I do not have the catalogue at hand so right now I can't recall the history attributed to it. Perhaps it is still on their website
4. Chassis number 4 was at the Silverstone Classic in 2005, (I only took some enigne shots and the plate but I could get hold of shots of the full car if required)
5. Chassis number 6 was at the Monterey Historics in 2007.
6: The Bell and Colville car (from what I now understand is chassis 07) was shot during a Steigenberger race in Zandvoort in 1987 (or 1988).

Hopes this helps in getting the history of some cars up-to-date and, Scott, that this replies to your request. ()
Attached Thumbnails
JQ6M9386.1.jpg   LolaT222#HU222-02_1971-2.1.jpg   JQ6M0448.1.jpg  

LolaT222.4-2.1.jpg   IMG_2696.1.jpg   lolat222-10 (1).1.jpg  

Old 7 Aug 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2936813)   #33
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
Sorry it's too late for me to go back and correct the prefix to "SL" instead of "T", after a half-hour, I'm locked out of editing my posts.
I should have also should not have implied the car was a 222, it was a one-off lengthened 220, the 222 tubs had lots of differences.
off topic, but I am sure this one looks familiar to you
See you at Laguna...
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/2...Chevrolet.html
Old 7 Aug 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2936924)   #34
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911DE View Post
Thank you for your post. I own HU 7 and have some history but woud be grateful to acquire any data to add to the notes i have.
I have loads of history (photos, letters, print outs, trophies, DVDs, etc) of when my late father raced HU7 in '82 & '83 - possibly a bit later than you want, but PM or email me if you want.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2936935)   #35
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
After crashing the T220, Lola modified this T220 tub into a T222.
David
After crashing the first T220, the shorter wheel-based one . . it was rebuilt . . .. ??? If that is what you meant, than SL220/1 is still running around, reincarnated as a T222?? and if that is what you meant, which T222?
Old 7 Aug 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2936993)   #36
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
Note in the L&M/Revson car photos that there are no fairings on each side, from the roll bar base to the rear wing struts, a feature (or lack of) unique to the the T220s. They are present in the other 3 photos. However, there are no small air intakes in front of each front wheel, which were unique to the T220, so this is probably a replacement T222 nose. I am pretty sure that somewhere online, in a group of photos taken by a visitor to Rosso Biamco that I flipped through, that the car did have those air intakes in his photo. I am thinking, but not 100% sure, that it had a T220 nose at one point during its Rosso Bianco tenure. I am also glad to learn of unique differences in the cockpit area between the types. Obviously, photos with details would be a wonderful addition to that tangent. Thanks for telling us. My in-person experience with these cars has only been with SL220/2 in 1973, so I don't know what those differences would be. I have seen T222s in races since, but not up close.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 03:11 (Ref:2937031)   #37
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
Bonham's Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
2. The LM Car Chassis number 2 as offered for auction by Bonhams at the Quail Lodge, coming from the Rosso Bianco collection, that was bought lock stock and barrel by the owner of Bonhams, who has subsequently used his auction house to get rid of the cars he does not want for his own collection (I am sure everybody knows whom I am talking about )

()
Here is the link to the Bonham's Auction listing. Be sure to read all the way to the end as they update their description in the "Lot Notice:" section.
http://www.bonhams.com/usa/auction/14018/lot/524/#
Old 8 Aug 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2937062)   #38
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Note in the L&M/Revson car photos that there are no fairings on each side, from the roll bar base to the rear wing struts, a feature (or lack of) unique to the the T220s. They are present in the other 3 photos. However, there are no small air intakes in front of each front wheel, which were unique to the T220, so this is probably a replacement T222 nose. I am pretty sure that somewhere online, in a group of photos taken by a visitor to Rosso Biamco that I flipped through, that the car did have those air intakes in his photo. I am thinking, but not 100% sure, that it had a T220 nose at one point during its Rosso Bianco tenure. I am also glad to learn of unique differences in the cockpit area between the types. Obviously, photos with details would be a wonderful addition to that tangent. Thanks for telling us. My in-person experience with these cars has only been with SL220/2 in 1973, so I don't know what those differences would be. I have seen T222s in races since, but not up close.
Here is a shot of the Rosso Bianco car IN the museum, without the intakes you mention. It very much looks the same as the car offered at Quail in 2007. I have added the descritpion (and the the historic shot) of the car as it was given by Bruce Canepa at the Jet Centre Party in 2010. If it is the same car as was offered at Quail than it went to some restoration and change process, as you can see from the various differences between the two photos I posted earlier. My guess is that is is the same car, but as it was raced in Europe for a while, received some modifications in the process, and was only cosmetically turned back into the Revson car before going into the museum. Canepa did the final : "reconversion". I'll ask Canepa about it next week at the Monterey Historics.
Attached Thumbnails
t220-rosso-bianco-1.jpg   JQ6M9383.1.jpg  
Old 8 Aug 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2937392)   #39
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
Quote:
I'll ask Canepa about it next week at the Monterey Historics.
That would be great! Also, perhaps he has photos with the bodywork off so that we can better understand what the differences may be chassis-wise between the various cars. As I said previously, I am almost certain that a photo of the car by a museum visitor, did have the additional vents in the nose in front of each wheel. I will scan the web to see if I it is still posted somewhere.

Also,
I have been able to track down some of the photos on the Lola Heritage site of T220 development at Lola Cars that I referred to earlier. Here are the earliest shots I can find, a T220 under construction at Slough, and testing of it.

Construction and testing pics: T220 at Slough

Production at Huntingdon: Production run
Old 9 Aug 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2937516)   #40
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Just a point related to the numbering of Lola Chassis in general. When a model sees the day of light the first car becomes #1 (not uncommon....) However when the model develops over the years, the numbering goes straight on. (Look at eh 210 280 and 290 models, which is one series of numbers covering several years. (The 290 series starts with 290 number one and ends with the 298 number 108 or so).

So for the 220 we have 220 #1 which is generally acknowledged as the Revson car. When it crashed the new car used by Revson after the crash was 222#2. (given a different type number as it was a different car from the 220)

Now there are two options. Either #2 is a new tub/chassis, or #1 was salvaged, rebuild and fitted with a longer wheelbase, which is what the sign accompanying the Canepa car would indicate. I think it is highly unlikely that there ever was a chassis 222#1 or a chassis 220#2. So the only question that remains is, whether the Revson car(s) can be counted as one, with two different numbers or two different cars with two different numbers.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2937808)   #41
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
I always thought this was one of the best looking Can-Am cars. Nice shape, and really tough looking.
I couldn't agree with you more. It is just drop-dead gorgeous! Go to this link (one I gave to you in my last post, but this time for another purpose): http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk/scrapb.../037_page1.htm and click on the third photo down, the car sitting next to the transporter at Slough. Now you have that photo alone on your screen. Now click in the upper right of the window to Maximize the window. Now you have that stunning car, devoid of any special paint job and without add-on air splitters and other appendages (except the wing, of course), pretty much filling your screen. Just sitting there in all its natural unadulterated beauty. Breathtaking !!

I am still searching the Lola Heritage site for the photos of the room full of T222s under construction, maybe 8-10 of them. You will see it as soon as I find it again!
Old 9 Aug 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2937815)   #42
ssperka
Rookie

United States
NC, USA
Bear in mind that it was just 2 weeks between the crash at Road Atlanta of the first car and the next appearance of Revson in a lengthened T220/T222 at Donnybrooke. Is that enough time to return it to wherever is went from Road Atlanta (UK; Chicago?) and not only repair it, but to lengthen it and whatever else they changed, and then get it to the next race?

My other question is whether it became a T222 when it appeared with the longer wheelbase at Donnybrooke or if the T222 was the customer version that came out in 1971, following Revson's 1970 racing season?
Old 10 Aug 2011, 06:47 (Ref:2937959)   #43
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Bear in mind that it was just 2 weeks between the crash at Road Atlanta of the first car and the next appearance of Revson in a lengthened T220/T222 at Donnybrooke. Is that enough time to return it to wherever is went from Road Atlanta (UK; Chicago?) and not only repair it, but to lengthen it and whatever else they changed, and then get it to the next race?
probably not, and it also supports the version of the history that sometime prior to the crash Lola had already decided to go for a longer wheelbase version, call it the 222 and the first car was just about ready at the time of the 220 crash. This would also mean that 220-1 was scrapped at the time, is no more, and 222-2 was a brand new car when it appeared. Next time when I come across him I'll ask Sam Smith of lola.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 00:59 (Ref:2941921)   #44
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
This weekend I spoke with the current owner of 222/2. His version of events is consistent with what I suggested one post up here. 220/1 was destroyed, Lola had already begun production of the longer wheelbase customer chassis (222), and it just so happened that 222/2 was about ready when 220/1 crashed out, so the new car could be quickly shipped to the USA. Not wanting to disturb the crowds or for other reasosn, they continued to enlist the car as a 220 for the remainder of the season.
In the mean time I found on the Lola heritage site that 222/3 is now owned by Roger Wills, a regular on 10-10ths, and also an avid historic racer, so we may see more of that car pretty soon.

Last edited by henk4; 17 Aug 2011 at 01:08.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 22:01 (Ref:3521619)   #45
davidpozzi
Rookie

Quote:
This weekend I spoke with the current owner of 222/2. His version of events is consistent with what I suggested one post up here. 220/1 was destroyed, Lola had already begun production of the longer wheelbase customer chassis (222), and it just so happened that 222/2 was about ready when 220/1 crashed out, so the new car could be quickly shipped to the USA. Not wanting to disturb the crowds or for other reasosn, they continued to enlist the car as a 220 for the remainder of the season.
In the mean time I found on the Lola heritage site that 222/3 is now owned by Roger Wills, a regular on 10-10ths, and also an avid historic racer, so we may see more of that car pretty soon.
Henry Smith told me the story of how they rebuilt the crashed car in two weeks, changing it from a 220 to a 222. I don't recall all the details so I won't post them here because I can't come back and correct them due to the editing limit. I'll see if I can get Henry to write something up about it. The main reason to not miss the next race was series points for the Can-Am Championship and probably sponsor commitments.

I have seen the tub currently in the car and it looks more like a T220 than a T222. Henry said they had a guy lengthen the 220 body to fit the longer chassis. The extra wheelbase added stability. I had photos but can't find them. If I find them I'll post 'em up.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 23:11 (Ref:3521658)   #46
davidpozzi
Rookie

Here is the Revson tub front end.

My Carl Haas Revson Album: http://s117.photobucket.com/user/dav...?sort=3&page=1

Here is the Kazato T222 HU8

My Kazato Album: http://s117.photobucket.com/user/dav...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by davidpozzi; 29 Mar 2015 at 23:17.
Old 28 Apr 2023, 17:37 (Ref:4153376)   #47
davidpozzi
Rookie

Perhaps what I didn’t make fully clear is the original 220 Revson chassis was crashed & thrown away. Lola took a 220 tub & modified it to a longer wheelbase for more handling stability, sent it to the team for Donnybrook & the team hired a fiberglass specialist to lengthen the bodywork to fit. Evidence of the changes is in the steering shaft angle, the old 220 clearance in the tub can be seen below the new angle. There are differences on each side of the driver & instrument panel area.