Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 6 Mar 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1537412)   #1
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nurburgring 1980's

Okay, Imagine it's the 1980's, the Nurburgring has been banned from the f1 championship and needs a revamp. You are the designer behind this revamp, your job is to create a new nurburgring, you can use some parts of the Nordschlife or you can use the empty space where the Sudschlife once stood.
(Thats actually the current location for the GP track) Enjoy!!!
Attached Thumbnails
nurby.GIF  
Old 6 Mar 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1537429)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here's something I did before. For the first part, I've just changed the current circuit. I've cut out some of the stupid corners and tried to quicken up the Merc Arena, or at least the exit. The NGK chicane has been completely bypassed because IMO it's pointless and now you can overtaking into Coca-Cola. Apologies for the quality - it's a JPEG and very old (compared to some of my other tracks, anyway)

Here's the full GP circuit - it would include the changes above. What I've done is installed a chicane on the long back straight for safety reasons. Elsewhere, run-off has increased dramatically, and although this is against the atmosphere of the N'ring, it's a must to allow F1 to return, like also the Marimon Schikane. Same for the smoothening of some of the bumps - it'd wreck an F1 car. But (hopefully) the challenge of the N'ring would at least be partly retained and F1 returned

I'll be back with another soon because I know this isn't a "proper" entry into the challenge - I've got a couple of other things I need to do tonight, like homework!!
Old 7 Mar 2006, 00:01 (Ref:1537650)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I know what you're trying, but those changes on the old course wouldn't really work. Run-off is limited to a large degreee because on either side of the track, you run into either a rock wall or a BIG drop-off. It's a long way down oon the right side of the Dottinger Hohe straight, so that chicane wouldn't work. And the Nurburgring isn't the Nurburgring without Flugplatz and the Flangtzgarten.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1539516)   #4
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK. Here's my bash-a-mondo;

Above: This is the track, with full facilities; it would use a small part of the original Nurburgring - the section from Hatzenbach (running backwards) then straight down towards the new Nordschlief turn, which is in approximately the same place if not a little further left, than the current final turn.

Above: This is the circuit complete with corner names

Above: This is the overlay of the two circuits.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1539632)   #5
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's actually quite a good track, Paul.
Old 7 Mar 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1539677)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good track, but one of the things they had to put in when designing the new track was that the original S/F straight would be used in the new track

Here's my proper attempt at this. IMO it's to difficult to make a shortened Nordschliefe, so I've done a brand new circuit using the old S/F straight and part of the Sudkehre that has nothing in common with the current circuit. I tried to make it long, twisty and challenging to echo the Nordschliefe but not too twisty so that you can't overtake, and not too long either. In the end, maybe I did it a bit too twisty, so I may make changes in the future, but here it is:

Old 8 Mar 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1540099)   #7
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great track! Thumbs up, Jab!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1540256)   #8
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm - i'm not so sure. I think the bit I don't particularly like is the Muller > Goedemans section. Laine looks very nice however, and so does the rest of the track - upuntill the start/finish. I'll do an edit of that later mate
Old 8 Mar 2006, 16:35 (Ref:1540533)   #9
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have a go...

Last edited by nickyf1; 16 Sep 2006 at 14:11.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1540534)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
whoops! wrong ATACHMENT!!!!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1540587)   #11
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
Hmm - i'm not so sure. I think the bit I don't particularly like is the Muller > Goedemans section. Laine looks very nice however, and so does the rest of the track - upuntill the start/finish. I'll do an edit of that later mate
I thought the same - too twisty and stop-start. I was thinking about just 1 sweep through there. I'll see what I can do
Old 8 Mar 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1540657)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
And here it is:

I've made changes to the last corner and to the Muller/Goedemans section

BTW as you may have worked out, all the corners and straights are named after drivers who died on the Nordschliefe before the time this track would have been built
Old 8 Mar 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1540686)   #13
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Now that for me is much better, a simple change for me, has made it 10 times better. For some reason though, I don't think Bernie would have gone for it...
Old 8 Mar 2006, 23:13 (Ref:1540812)   #14
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my effort. It uses a lot of the current circuit & the current Sudschleife demonstration circuit.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 9 Mar 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1541617)   #15
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
That would be nice wouldn't it