Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Jul 2002, 16:49 (Ref:346490)   #1
LMP900
Racer

LMP900 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT's that could have been

It seems to me that a couple of cars in the GT categories have potentials that are being wasted.
One prime example is the TVR Speed 12, it's a gorgeous car by any standards and seems to have a decent pace, yet not one example has been spotted on a FIA GT grid or an ACO sanctioned grid. The same goes for the Marcos LM600 but that might all change! Eurotech, basically the motorsports division for Marcos has built an LM600 Evo that complies to ACO rules For Herman Buurman, a longtime Marcos driver.

So what do you think, will the TVR and Marcos take the fight to the international competition?
Old 30 Jul 2002, 17:29 (Ref:346523)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcos used to be in the FIA Gt championship, until the built a car outside the rules.

The TVR is ok, but doesn't conform to any international rules and its that good in the British series. It keeps retiring.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 18:40 (Ref:346556)   #3
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
TVRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TVR do plan to go to Le Mans and Mike Tallentine wants it to be the Speed 12, however it looks increasingly likely that a new tuscan r will be used instead, aswell as in fia
Old 30 Jul 2002, 18:49 (Ref:346563)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There should be Mazda RX-7s running in GT. Acura (Honda) NSXs as well... I hope we see the next-generation NSX at LeMans before long, with the 4.0L Mugen V8.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:21 (Ref:346582)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A GTS de Tomaso Pantera, with a 6l V8...
Old 30 Jul 2002, 23:29 (Ref:346754)   #6
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The NSX can't race in the FIA because its chassis isn't road based (JGTC) its custom designed. Maybe the 2004 changes will allow it to race over here but it seems set to stay in the Japanise series for now. There was one at LM a few years ago. Mazda have been rumoured to be building a LMP car so the RX-7 is unlikely.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 05:58 (Ref:346892)   #7
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It would be nice to see the new Maserati Trofeo being developed for a one make series upgraded to GTS or GT spec
Old 31 Jul 2002, 09:52 (Ref:346998)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pink69
The NSX can't race in the FIA because its chassis isn't road based (JGTC) its custom designed. Maybe the 2004 changes will allow it to race over here but it seems set to stay in the Japanise series for now.
Who says Lee is talking about a JGT car?
Of course the NSX can run in FIA, if properly homologated and prepared to GT (or more likely. N-GT) spec. The only reason it isn't homologated is that Honda doesn't seem to want it.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 10:51 (Ref:347031)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maserati in GT and GTS ... I don't think so ... we have 360Modena and 550 GTO ... Ferrari will not compete against itself .. The Japan GT Championship Gt500 class cars i don't think can compete at LeMans maybe a little modified ... but Honda or Nissan or Toyota can race the NSX.. the R33 GTR ar the Supra in any class(Gt or GTS) if they build the casr to these class specs ...
in 96 he had NSX, Skyline and 95 Supra finishing .... anyway these cars are a bit old ... maybe the Japanese car makers will compete with new cars ...

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Jul 2002, 17:33 (Ref:347284)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
The Japan GT Championship Gt500 class cars i don't think can compete at LeMans maybe a little modified ...
Nnno, sorry. They are too different. They don't fit in. (Unless you give them their own class... )

Quote:
maybe the Japanese car makers will compete with new cars ...
The new Nissan Z car keeps getting mentioned.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 18:21 (Ref:347303)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
TVR at Le Mans? I'll believe it when I see it. Do they really want to compete on an international stage?

Remember, Mr. Blobby (oh alright, Noel Edmonds) went to see TVR looking for a car for his '97 Le Mans effort.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 18:37 (Ref:347319)   #12
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you remember, there were a couple of Toyota Supras in GT2 class at the 1998 FIA GT race in Suzuka.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 01:27 (Ref:347541)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf

Who says Lee is talking about a JGT car?
Of course the NSX can run in FIA, if properly homologated and prepared to GT (or more likely. N-GT) spec. The only reason it isn't homologated is that Honda doesn't seem to want it.
Thank you... I was indeed talking about developing a LeMans/FIA-legal GT-class car out of an NSX "body in white". There was a half-hearted effort several years ago, but if I remember correctly the cars didn't even last the whole 24 hours. The main reason they're not racing is displacement. They're outclassed with only a 3.0L V6, no match for the GT3s and F360s. When the next generation NSX hits the street, it'll feature a street-tuned version of the 4.0L V8 that we've seen in the MBD Panoz-Mugens. From what I've read, it seems something of an open secret that Honda has every intention to take a class win at LeMans using that car. It should be quite competitive.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 07:06 (Ref:347624)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

From what I've read, it seems something of an open secret that Honda has every intention to take a class win at LeMans using that car. It should be quite competitive.

And I rather like the sound of that, Lee
Old 1 Aug 2002, 11:29 (Ref:347789)   #15
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the upcoming MG X80?? By all acouns it could be a real 911 beater
Old 1 Aug 2002, 11:56 (Ref:347814)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MGF
What about the upcoming MG X80?? By all acouns it could be a real 911 beater
Hmm... With 4.6L of displacement, wouldn't it be running with extra weight (like the various Corvette-powered GT efforts we've seen, all of which have seemed effectively bogged down by that extra weight)?
Old 1 Aug 2002, 12:48 (Ref:347847)   #17
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
TVR at Le Mans? I'll believe it when I see it. Do they really want to compete on an international stage?
You might well see it sooner than you think! - I've been sniffing around this issue for a few weeks and there is a story emerging!!!
Old 2 Aug 2002, 16:42 (Ref:348821)   #18
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
ecspecially as martin short is so interested and hass great support from TVR.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 16:54 (Ref:348830)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are already hundreds of TVRs at Le Mans. Unfortunatly they are all in the Maison Blanc campsite! It would be nice if we could have a couple to cheer on the track too.

It would be a GTS Speed 12, presumably?
Old 2 Aug 2002, 17:09 (Ref:348841)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
There are already hundreds of TVRs at Le Mans. Unfortunatly they are all in the Maison Blanc campsite! It would be nice if we could have a couple to cheer on the track too.

It would be a GTS Speed 12, presumably?
From what I have heard, I don't think so. But, the Cerbera Speed 6 that will run at Spa seems to have a fair bit of works support, and a lot of Tuscan R bits in it. So, maybe they are treating this as a "fact finder" for other 24hr races??
Old 2 Aug 2002, 17:11 (Ref:348846)   #21
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
The main reason they're not racing is displacement. They're outclassed with only a 3.0L V6, no match for the GT3s and F360s.
They could have run unrestricted...
Old 2 Aug 2002, 21:06 (Ref:349010)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope would do get a TVR at Le Mans in the near future, just look at the support the Morgan got this year, I reckon the reaction to TVR would get, would be on a much much bigger level than the Morgan got......

Last edited by rdjones; 2 Aug 2002 at 21:07.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 07:59 (Ref:349196)   #23
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
it seems almost certain within the TVR team that it will be the new tuscan r, 4 litre straight 6, 440 bhp, 350 lb ft of torque at 6000rpm, and a power to weight ratio of 440 bhp/ton which beats the best that italy, germany and the states can throw at it.

On another note has anyone heard the rule change allowing carbon chassis cars to compete in gt and gts. Edonis has already said it hopes to be there next year and Pagini (Zonda), POrsche (carrera GT) and Ferrari (Enzo) have all expressed an interest!
Old 3 Aug 2002, 08:29 (Ref:349203)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin

You might well see it sooner than you think! - I've been sniffing around this issue for a few weeks and there is a story emerging!!!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't scoffing at the possibility - I would love to see TVR's at Le Mans and I'd be cheering them on as loudly as anyone!!
Old 3 Aug 2002, 17:14 (Ref:349417)   #25
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a news item on Crash.net about Martin Short and Simon Pullan running at the Nurburgring, i think, with a customers speed 12(just running it in for him) and the interview with Mr Pullan does mention running at Lemans next year. I'll Have to go and find it again...