Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Aug 2002, 23:21 (Ref:348227)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Japainse manufacturer to join ALMS

rumour has it that another Japanise manufacturer is set to join the ALMS next season, from either Mitsubishi, Honda or Mazda. Any guesses who and with what category of car. Toyota looks set to be building a Grand-Am LMP so they are out of the picture it seems.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 01:02 (Ref:348267)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... Okay, the candidates in the GT categories I can come up with are Honda NSX, Toyota Supra... Can't imagine Mazda running an RX-7 when they figure the RX-8 is so close to production.

You can never rule out the possibility of Mazda entering a prototype. With a factory effort, they _might_ be able to convince the ACO to give them engine rules which will allow them to run a turbo rotary on parity with the MGs in LMP675.

Mitsubishi's part of DaimlerChrysler, and Mercedes doesn't like to see them or Dodge/Chrysler do anything other than rallying and NASCAR.

If Toyota had any damn sense, they'd take the tarps off the GT1s and give them to Dan Gurney, let him run them in GTP with the Lexus 4.0L turbo motor back in place. With a good driving lineup and some development of the engine package, they could really give Audi a challenge.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 06:22 (Ref:348340)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta

If Toyota had any damn sense, they'd take the tarps off the GT1s and give them to Dan Gurney, let him run them in GTP with the Lexus 4.0L turbo motor back in place. With a good driving lineup and some development of the engine package, they could really give Audi a challenge.

Now that I would love to see, Lee!
Old 2 Aug 2002, 07:51 (Ref:348377)   #4
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Now that I would love to see, Lee!
Hear Hear
Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:14 (Ref:348392)   #5
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why would they...seeing as how they're so successful and getting their moneys worth in f1

Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:22 (Ref:348396)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah but didnt TRD say something along the lines of "we are always looking for ways to maximise of motorsport revenue" or somefin? therefore get those GT1's out, and the Eagle hfc1s (?) from IMSA circa 1991/92, and the Dome 88c Toyota... while they are at it lets see the MK1 MR2 Groups S car and the Toyota Can-am machine too! I hate it when manufacturers let good machinery go idle - at least TWR used to sell off their wares - I recall two Jag Group C cars running in a Castle Combe special GT race in the mid 90s - just what spectators love to se.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 09:02 (Ref:348421)   #7
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did TTE say that when they started in F1 that that was it for all other motor racing categories - I don't think so, they still intend to return to the World Rally Championship although they pulled the plug the other year!

When they wound up the GT-ONE project i don't recall them saying we would never return to this catagory, all i believe they said was that they were going to concentrate on the F1 project?

So all we can do is hope they sort something out soon and give us another great car like the GT-ONE.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 16:18 (Ref:348804)   #8
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
You can never rule out the possibility of Mazda entering a prototype. With a factory effort, they _might_ be able to convince the ACO to give them engine rules which will allow them to run a turbo rotary on parity with the MGs in LMP675.
No!! I sure you that Mazda is thinking to return to Mans with winner intentions. According with "LeMans Magazine", Mazda could return to Mans with a LMPGTP. Don't forget that Oreca is trying to find a manufacturer and Oreca was behing Mazda 1991 Won at Le Mans....

Toyota is another possible manufacturer to join the ALMS next season, Sometime ago I heard a rumour about Toyota possible return with a GT car.

Rumours are Rumours , nothing more....than Rumours. Wait to see
Old 2 Aug 2002, 19:28 (Ref:348946)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One manufacturer you haven't mentioned - what about Subaru?
Old 2 Aug 2002, 20:32 (Ref:348981)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It is such a shame that cars such as the GT one Toyota were mothballed. Surely there are plenty of good private teams that would love to purchase and run them with minimal support from the factory. Just as Audi appear to be about to do.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 20:42 (Ref:348991)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't run any of these cars with minimal support.
Besides, who knows if the GT-One would be on the pace today, and in GTP trim.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 11:41 (Ref:349281)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
One manufacturer you haven't mentioned - what about Subaru?
Hmm... Well, the 2.0L flat four from the Impreza WRC would make an excellent LMP675 powerplant. Far faster and more reliable than the MG. I just can't see Subaru going to LeMans, though... Especially when they're having so many problems with mechanical failures in WRC. They need to get back into winning form there first.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 13:39 (Ref:349339)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
You don't run any of these cars with minimal support.
Besides, who knows if the GT-One would be on the pace today, and in GTP trim.

True but my goodness, I'd love to see them try it out again. If ever a project was canned a year too early, it was the GT One.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 13:54 (Ref:349350)   #14
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ayse...for you. i knew we had one somewhere!
Old 3 Aug 2002, 15:40 (Ref:349387)   #15
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda is another possible manufacturer, S.Ratel talked about it (Honda GT return) sometime ago.
Old 4 Aug 2002, 22:27 (Ref:350064)   #16
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A short report on Autoweek TV magizne said Toyota were not interested in building a sport prototype. Zoom Zoom Zoom