Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Aug 2002, 08:01 (Ref:362706)   #76
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know this is wayyyyy off topic but Rols Royce and Bentley have opened a branch in Shanghia and at $700,000.00 each they've sold around twenty cars so far.

Now back to the topic.

I posted this in another thread but I realise I have to repent. So be it.

Point taken. I therefore bow to the overwhelming superiority of the great Jaun and his supporters. He can do no wrong and I was obviously suffereing from an illusion for it was patently not him actually driving his car off the circuit..............twice and finishing tenth lapped by his third rate, cowardly, no hoper of a team mate who may well have had the opportuntity to overtake a superior Ferrari on the outside dusty line of a corner, but instead settled for a well deserved podium and the points that go with it.

Mental note: Must learn to understand what motor racing is about.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 08:15 (Ref:362711)   #77
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL ...speaking of Shanghai, i've read a few months back with a picture...a guy in Shangai uses cows to pull his Mercedex S class because he wasn't satisfied with the after sales service

On a serious note to what the Mallett wrote....i just can't.....
Old 21 Aug 2002, 08:21 (Ref:362715)   #78
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
okay seriously...

I always see Montoya as the 2nd best driver in F1 at present but after what had happened last weekend and in previous events in which the way he defended his racing line, shows that although he has the speed, he's not that smart and a team player considering he does not care about bringing the car in one piece to the chequered flag.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 08:27 (Ref:362717)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BTW Juke.

Is the Lee Ho Fook restuarant still on J. Sultan Ismail opposite the Concorde? Had some great meals in there.

And some great nights in the Hard Rock afterwards.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 08:38 (Ref:362720)   #80
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Opposite the Concorde right now is a petrol station, i doubt very much the restaurant is still there. What year was your last visit?

You should try the nite spots further down the road to your left after Concorde.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 08:49 (Ref:362726)   #81
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I was there in 94 through 95. The hotels on the left up the road were - Concorde, Equatorial, Hilton (with the "Tin Mine" underneath). Then in Wisma Stevens there was Julies Bar where we all hung out during the early evenings.

Opposite side were a couple of Hotels, one of whichg was good but I can't remember the name.

I worked for BP Petronas and we sometimes ate in the Oilmans Club in the old Petronas Building before they moved to the twin towers.

I list my time in Malaysia as the best job I ever had.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:27 (Ref:362744)   #82
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Wow!....it's been that long and you still remembers all those places?

Then you should visit M'sia now cause there are major changes and facelift made recently. Tine Mine is not operational anymore but they have this Tin Mine 2 but not very sure where though.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 12:42 (Ref:362910)   #83
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

Point taken. I therefore bow to the overwhelming superiority of the great Jaun and his supporters. He can do no wrong and I was obviously suffereing from an illusion for it was patently not him actually driving his car off the circuit..............twice and finishing tenth lapped by his third rate, cowardly, no hoper of a team mate who may well have had the opportuntity to overtake a superior Ferrari on the outside dusty line of a corner, but instead settled for a well deserved podium and the points that go with it.

Mental note: Must learn to understand what motor racing is about. [/B]
chuckle
Old 21 Aug 2002, 16:37 (Ref:363046)   #84
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
Ferrari cars are damn expensive here freud, just imagine the tax is 300% here in M'sia....i think in S'pore it's more expensive..
This is getting interesting... the money issue. But more than the money its the overall fascination with sports cars & the culture. I have never seen a Ferrari at Ampang Jaya or any other part of Selangor or Penang. I did see lots of BMWs & Mercedes though. I understand that the region has a very strong middle class (unlike say eg Idia or Indinesia which dont even have a proper middle class) but Sport cars dont really fascinate many people there. But you are slowly getting there... who knows may be in 25 years we might find a Ferrari outlet in Ampang Jaya Right now stick to BMW & Merz. They are focusing a lot on the region..
Old 21 Aug 2002, 18:29 (Ref:363111)   #85
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
A small point. You get air con with mercs and Beemers. that doesn't work well with a convertible.

Also the roads (all due respect to Malaysian government) aren't conducive to sports suspenion.

Of course even in a ferrari you ain't gonna go that fast in Singapore. It's too small.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 20:57 (Ref:363193)   #86
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Idia" and "Indio"...are these countries related to the Indy500 or have I missed the Asian map edition 2002??

With regards to the topic, THAT duel between Kimi and Juan was easily the most entertaining part of the Hungarian GP! Montoya, like Peter explains really seems to have a do-or-die attitude when it comes to a passing/defending maneouvre...something most importantly I dont think Williams approve off. He has to do away with that style but sadly that would mean the doing away off his character and the becoming of a perfectionist, stereo-typical champion.

Michael Doohan & Schumacher with their experience and master craft only became boring to watch as they creamed the field. However theres also the chance of Juan Pablo not correcting his 'harakiri' methods and ending up a Jean Alesi for good--all sideways and brilliant but no points on the scoreboard.

Regarding the off-topic debate, if you mean the presence of the German manufacturers in Asia for road cars true they are more than visible but if you mean Formula 1? then Sepang was overflowing with Tifosi in March2002. To such an extent, it was sickening! Quite a few 360Modenas and Spyders too, all over Kuala Lumpur and I got to see my first Maserati at Sepang!

From where I hail there are Autorickshaws* with prancing mules, ponies, donkeys, unicorns and all sorts of four-legged mammals painted on yellow scudettos! Wonder if Enzo ever dreamt of that!

*[Autorickshaws are 3wheeled contraptions intended to transport commuters from point A to point B, often manoeuvrering around clumsily through crowded streets!]
Old 22 Aug 2002, 01:29 (Ref:363340)   #87
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
This is getting interesting... the money issue. But more than the money its the overall fascination with sports cars & the culture. I have never seen a Ferrari at Ampang Jaya or any other part of Selangor or Penang. I did see lots of BMWs & Mercedes though. I understand that the region has a very strong middle class (unlike say eg Idia or Indinesia which dont even have a proper middle class) but Sport cars dont really fascinate many people there. But you are slowly getting there... who knows may be in 25 years we might find a Ferrari outlet in Ampang Jaya Right now stick to BMW & Merz. They are focusing a lot on the region..
Funny you should mention Ampang Jaya...wow! that's where my mum is staying and i grew up there. It's difficult to argue with you to prove my point. Anyway Ferrari dosen't have a dedicated outlet here....but there are car dealers who specialize in exotic cars and since lotus is owned by a M'sia company, their number outnumbered Ferraris as we speak.

have you heard of TD2000?

Like what downforce had said, come and visit Sepang next year when the GP is there and you'll see that you are wrong sigmund.

Like to add to what the Mallet pointed out, the climate here are not suitable for convertibles. Er...and i think you should visit the country again Mallet, cause the roads are better then it used to be.
Attached Images

Old 22 Aug 2002, 06:52 (Ref:363430)   #88
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox

Er...and i think you should visit the country again Mallet, cause the roads are better then it used to be.
No doubt. They weren't too bad when I was there but they were definitely not suitable for sportscars.

I'll be there as soon as I can.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 11:53 (Ref:363592)   #89
freud
Veteran

This is getting so interesting I wish we had a separate thread for it. Maybe titled 'Why F1 came to the Far East' or 'Why Ferrari doesnt cater to East Asia?'... sounds good!

Back to the main topic. There is nothing wrong with JPM's defending style. What's wrong is his over-ambition to get most out of the car. Sometimes he should just accept the fact that his car aint good enough on the day... I am sure Patrick Head has had a word with him on this but drivers these days care less untill they are finally thrashed by a public statement... Just look at the kick in the bum Ralf recieved a few weeks ago which propelled him a bit.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 12:01 (Ref:363599)   #90
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I agree with you but that doesn't gel with the assertion that Montoya is the best. Because if he were he'd never need a kick up the bum. Would he?
Old 22 Aug 2002, 12:07 (Ref:363603)   #91
freud
Veteran

I have never asserted that JPM is the best. He might be but still there is a lot left for him to prove. Winning 5 titles is not an easy task and I think JPM can only achieve this feat if he learns from the Master who 'heads' him. Just like TGF learned from Brawn. No driver is perfect, its just how one maximises himself. Mika, imho was always more talented than TGF... just didnt go through the learning curve as quickly as TGF did & hence didnt make the best use of his talent & ability.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 12:09 (Ref:363604)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Did I say you were of that opinion? Nope, I don't think so.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 13:02 (Ref:363630)   #93
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
Mika, imho was always more talented than TGF...
Flame bait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Freud

Last edited by Legend; 22 Aug 2002 at 13:03.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 20:56 (Ref:363935)   #94
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Legend

Flame bait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Freud
Why? I thought that Freud was just expressing his opinion at's all, that is what IMHO means isn't it?
Old 22 Aug 2002, 20:59 (Ref:363936)   #95
Legend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

Why? I thought that Freud was just expressing his opinion at's all, that is what IMHO means isn't it?
Another flame bait!!!!!

Cheers Mr v
Old 22 Aug 2002, 21:07 (Ref:363943)   #96
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Legend

Another flame bait!!!!!

Cheers Mr v
yawnnnnnnnnnn
Old 22 Aug 2002, 21:08 (Ref:363945)   #97
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
but am i the only one to see that the guy only thinks for himself and only sees that nobody can get the better of him?

Arrogant is the right word..

Sounds exactly like a certain Ferrari driver !
Old 22 Aug 2002, 21:09 (Ref:363947)   #98
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legend me old mate....have you been drinking ?
Old 22 Aug 2002, 21:18 (Ref:363950)   #99
Legend
Veteran

Not enough!
Old 22 Aug 2002, 21:58 (Ref:363989)   #100
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

so thats a yes then !