Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Nov 2003, 22:58 (Ref:798485)   #1
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
race 1 start

is it just me or does anyone else think bright should have been given a drive through for jumping the start like skaife, i know when the camera was on skaife it caught him rolling but if you look at the long shot it shows bright leaving at the same time as skaife & before the rest.
it looked like he jumped early to me but thats my opinion
Old 29 Nov 2003, 23:16 (Ref:798495)   #2
AussieTeddie
Rookie

AussieTeddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will have to have a look at that. As I am sure they are going to replay the start again today
Old 29 Nov 2003, 23:19 (Ref:798499)   #3
kiwi_flier
Rookie

kiwi_flier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i read somewhere that skaife said that he rolled forward then stopped and he reckoned he didnt advantage himself ???

i mean geez hes 2 inches closer to turn 1 surely thats advantage enough isnt it ?
Old 29 Nov 2003, 23:51 (Ref:798515)   #4
pigsy
Rookie

pigsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can definately tell you Skaife was rolling and didn't stop. The live side on vision showed this off much better than the replayed grandstand version.

And yes Bright looked pretty suspect too.

Last edited by pigsy; 29 Nov 2003 at 23:52.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 01:03 (Ref:798565)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't say i noticed Bright creeping at all, i'd like to see a replay from side on beside Brights car to be able to comment.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 03:14 (Ref:798630)   #6
V8 Superdave
Racer

V8 Superdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you, Jetsetter, never noticed it, but Skaife moved, and didn't halt again before taking off.

But how was Marcos' start? What a blinder!!!
Old 30 Nov 2003, 13:04 (Ref:799207)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kiwi_flier
i read somewhere that skaife said that he rolled forward then stopped and he reckoned he didnt advantage himself ???

i mean geez hes 2 inches closer to turn 1 surely thats advantage enough isnt it ?
I haven't seen the race yet (been at the Island all weekend) - but Skaife should know better - there is no such defence as 'didn't gain an advantage' - there is no such rule or defence as this.

In plain English a jump start is movement or being out of position when the race starts. IN the case of V8's once the red light comes on, you move, you are out of position.

However - having said this - the current race director has changed his mind a number of times over the past 4-5 years as to exactly what constitutes movement and being out of position eg at Barbagallo 3 and 4 years ago he pinged (or at least attempted to - even Colin Bond was against the decision) a certain red team for wheel movement of approximately 1/16th of a wheel turn....(HRT have that particular video tape btw...)

On other occasions he has not pinged some drivers for moving forward and stopping whilst the red light was on, yet on others he HAS pinged them.

As recently as 2 months ago he issued a reply to questioning stating that movement DURING the red light period was OK provided they were not moving when the light goes out:

Quote:
Drivers are reminded that their cars must be stationary with the front wheels on or behind the grid line at the time of the start signal (the extinguishing of the red light). All cars must be correctly placed on the grid in respect to their lateral position.
and

Quote:
I see no problem with a car being positioned behind the line as often, a car will move forward when first gear is being engaged. This normally occurs with a racing gear-box (dog ring gear engagement). It also allows the driver to feel the clutch take up. If the car is well behind the grid line and stopped at the time of the start signal (red light off), there is no advantage gained - in fact he may suffer a disadvantage.
So, despite there being no mention of advantage being gained, it is being used as a criteria.