Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2020, 11:53 (Ref:4013167)   #1901
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
If your standards of objective commentary are that low, then that's fine.

I mean, why are they fine, excellent and fantastic?

Crofty is a a result of the most talented British commentators took up an interest in other sports.

Brundle can't be excellent. He now commentates like forum poster.

As far as Kravitz is concerned. Well, I'm going to have to refrain from expressing my full opinion for the moment.

Last edited by 2 litre Touring Car Star; 26 Oct 2020 at 12:12.
Old 26 Oct 2020, 13:28 (Ref:4013194)   #1902
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyone who knows me on here would never describe my standards are low, especially for commentators. I'm the whiniest, pickiest, hardest to please diva on this forum. Many would not be as kind to use the words I have lol.

I actually find it hard to look at other series and say which ones have better commentators.

Ok so you have Radio Le Mans. Hindy has calmed himself down recently which is nice, and Nick Daman is fantastic. Johnny Palmer is lovely too. So there's possibly the best combination right now - throwing in names like Jeremy Shaw and Trussers. And we all miss Sam Collins.

But outside of that, I'm struggling to see anyone who I'd say are better than the F1 group currently. SRO series are a complete mess, with John Watson having lost his mind and Addison being a minder. BTCC is a mess as Tim Harvey is more biased than a football fan at a football match wearing a football scarf whilst his football team plays. There are numerous sportscar commentators who think they're more important the series themselves and spend the whole time hinting about the amazing things they know. Sportscar racing, from pit lane to comm box is filled with self importance to a level the F1 team struggle to get to.

I think we often forget just how bad the ITV years were.

Edit: Oh, Davidson is by far the worst of the current F1 team. When Jenson won his first GP, Ants statement was about himself. When Lewis won yesterday and broke records, Ant referenced himself 3 times in a single sentence.
Old 26 Oct 2020, 14:59 (Ref:4013222)   #1903
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't really have a preference between C4 or Sky, though I think DC and MW make a good team, both being ex-F1 drivers. I primarily use the commentary to pick up on something I've missed, or if I have to go out of the room I can still hear what's going on.

Are the F1 group the best? They are a darn sight better than the NBC team who do IndyCar. Other than that I don't know; Radio 5 Live are pretty bad. On the other hand Radio Le Mans are excellent as are IndyCar Radio.
Old 26 Oct 2020, 18:55 (Ref:4013268)   #1904
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
just to add my bit i prefer the C4 team, they are more interesting and with Billy Monger adding his bits the show seems better than the racing sometimes.
Old 26 Oct 2020, 21:33 (Ref:4013280)   #1905
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
C4 do a good job, not sure they are as good as what the BBC did or could do, but definitely make it watchable. And yes, I enjoy Mr Monger too
Old 27 Oct 2020, 00:13 (Ref:4013307)   #1906
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes C4 has been experimenting with 3 person commentary at the moment, either with Webber or Monger chipping in, and for me I think It really works.

Of course they have Ben Edwards as lead, the best commentator working atm, which really helps.
Old 27 Oct 2020, 01:23 (Ref:4013312)   #1907
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That was Croft's worst effort yet!

Over emphasis, stating the obvious, irrelevant stats, staccato sentences and condecending quips.

He may be a likeable clown to some but he is not right for this role.
Old 27 Oct 2020, 13:46 (Ref:4013371)   #1908
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He's a good commentator, but has quite a few off days. I wonder if the schedule is taking a toll on him?

He can do better, but he just seems to not be as interested as much anymore. There's plugging gaps, but he just seems to do it all the time. Maybe it's time to move on? His commentary seems to not be suiting F1 anymore

I've heard worse, I think he's a commentator who has dedication to the job, but it's like he doesn't feel it's worth it anymore
Old 27 Oct 2020, 21:50 (Ref:4013439)   #1909
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Being in Oz, we only have access to Sky's current team - don't think I've ever heard Ben Edwards commentating so can't compare him to Crofty (although remember Ben's racing days).

Crofty is a long way from "good" but when not shrieking is OK - often gets things wrong, makes incorrect assumptions etc but that's par for the the course - Murray often made errors but we loved him for it.

Often comes down to delivery IMHO and Crofty (aka The Squeaky Shrieker) falls down badly in that regard. Was really noticeable at Portimao when there were close duels - the volume would suddenly go way up, the pitch right up there too and we'd get the falsetto, shrieky gabbling that is almost impossible to hear clearly. It's like he forgets that he's commentating on TV and goes for a radio commentary instead.

He's not good at all but quite honestly, beggars don't get to be choosers and can put up with him because ultimately he really is genuinely passionate about the sport.

Brundle - he's pretty much a treasure as far as I am concerned and still adds significant value to the broadcasts, Johnny Herbert the same.

Ted Kravitz is not technically that great but plenty of enthusiasm and clearly chases the correct info from teams and seems to get it too - he's good but of course this year hampered by not physically being in pit lane so that limits his contributions.

My 2c worth.
Old 27 Oct 2020, 22:44 (Ref:4013443)   #1910
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed Edwards being all shouty too recently, it really is very unnecessary and MUST be director led as he never sued to do it over decades of talking about this stuff.

I really do think these cretins who control this coverage are beyond idiotic, as soon as I hear shouting just switch off, no matter.

But honestly I have tried to watch a few F1 races this year and lasted little more than 5 minutes, they are so atrociously dull.

So fair play to anyone in reality trying to make the dullest motorsport on earth sound good.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 09:03 (Ref:4013859)   #1911
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
Noticed Edwards being all shouty too recently, it really is very unnecessary and MUST be director led as he never sued to do it over decades of talking about this stuff.

I really do think these cretins who control this coverage are beyond idiotic, as soon as I hear shouting just switch off, no matter.

But honestly I have tried to watch a few F1 races this year and lasted little more than 5 minutes, they are so atrociously dull.

So fair play to anyone in reality trying to make the dullest motorsport on earth sound good.
Takes all sorts of opinions to make the world go round, but surely you've watched grand prix racing long enough to know that if you picked a random 5 minutes you could stumble on not very much happening? Or any sport, for that matter?

You've missed some excellent races. You've missed some terrible ones too.

Every pure sport, unless its manufactured entertainment like wrestling, has moments when it's boring to watch. Nostalgia tricks us into believing that it didn't used to be like that.

I totally agree that we don't need shouting to make it interesting.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 17:06 (Ref:4013913)   #1912
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Every pure sport, unless its manufactured entertainment like wrestling, has moments when it's boring to watch. Nostalgia tricks us into believing that it didn't used to be like that.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been trying to say. That’s why I loathe things like DRS and compulsory pitstops. Just have cars that can overtake and enjoy F1 for what it is: the best drivers in the world doing their job
Old 31 Oct 2020, 12:58 (Ref:4014052)   #1913
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky’s Croft already tripping over himself in the opening address. Maybe he needs to concentrate on the job rather than “building a brand “ for himself. Thank goodness for Brundell’s calmness
Old 31 Oct 2020, 13:05 (Ref:4014055)   #1914
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Sky’s Croft already tripping over himself in the opening address. Maybe he needs to concentrate on the job rather than “building a brand “ for himself. Thank goodness for Brundell’s calmness
Do you mean "Blundle"?
Old 31 Oct 2020, 13:47 (Ref:4014064)   #1915
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
During FP1, Croft was the only one talking sense. Ted was saying we need to stop talking about track limits, and Karun suggested that drivers should go hire World Series cars to learn the track. Every-so-often Karun does let his unreasonable amount of money show through as he's picking up his wallet.
Old 31 Oct 2020, 22:22 (Ref:4014163)   #1916
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
During FP1, Croft was the only one talking sense. Ted was saying we need to stop talking about track limits, and Karun suggested that drivers should go hire World Series cars to learn the track. Every-so-often Karun does let his unreasonable amount of money show through as he's picking up his wallet.
karun was broke when he was doing british f3 back in the day. in the context of modern drivers with daddy's budgets he's not wrong, lando in particular was pretty much always running in something or another when he wasn't racing.

think it just highlights how ridiculous f1 is compared to the rest of motorsport really. sometimes the commentators don't get an opportunity to step back and realise just how daft they sound.
Old 1 Nov 2020, 00:20 (Ref:4014175)   #1917
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Building a brand? I’m quite sure it’s not in his mind to do that. He’s just a bit of a plonker.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 17:51 (Ref:4016024)   #1918
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It seems Ben Edwards is retiring from front line F1 commentating.
https://twitter.com/Jamesallenonf1/s...451100673?s=19
Old 11 Nov 2020, 20:55 (Ref:4016050)   #1919
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It seems Ben Edwards is retiring from front line F1 commentating.
https://twitter.com/Jamesallenonf1/s...451100673?s=19
Sad news, been an admirer since Ben used to cover Champ cars years back. Always concise and well informed imho.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 21:50 (Ref:4016060)   #1920
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ben has been the best commentator for years afaiac.

Wish Sky booked him instead of the Dulcit Dullard.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 22:02 (Ref:4016062)   #1921
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is he going to Sky?
Old 11 Nov 2020, 23:25 (Ref:4016073)   #1922
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ben, top commentator.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 23:43 (Ref:4016077)   #1923
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to see Ben Edwards leave, for me he has been the best F1 commentator since Murray Walker in this part of the world.
The statement in Autosport seemed to indicate he was stepping back from the hectic life of F1 so I doubt he is heading to sky in the short term.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 23:52 (Ref:4016078)   #1924
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
23 races a year...
Old 12 Nov 2020, 09:10 (Ref:4016107)   #1925
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I think he is an excellent commentator. Knowledgeable, passionate, articulate and easy to listen to. Shame to see him go.

I recently saw a few youtube clips from a couple of races with other post-Murry walker commentators, which just reminded me that Brundle and Edwards are head and shoulders above the rest.

There was a commentator who stepped in for one BTCC round recently who did a great job I thought (so not the guy usually does it). Cant remember his name. I think he commentates on some the BTCC support races?

The commentary did not actually suffer when Edwards and Coulthard were commentating from the UK studio. Do the channel 4 highlights commentators team need to actually be at the race. A pit lane reporter or two might be enough of a presence for some races?

Tags
pinks