Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Nov 2019, 20:42 (Ref:3939303)   #3726
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Isn't threatening to leave step #1 in all Concorde Agreement negotiations?

Fans threaten to leave all the time!

Richard
Old 8 Nov 2019, 22:43 (Ref:3939312)   #3727
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Have Mercedes suggested they may leave F1?
as far as i know there is nothing concrete to suggest that they are leaving.

It was purely a 'what if' line of speculation on my part.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 01:58 (Ref:3939344)   #3728
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
as far as i know there is nothing concrete to suggest that they are leaving.

It was purely a 'what if' line of speculation on my part.
If they are going to leave, I would think it might be after Mercedes secured Lewis's 8th WDC, beating Schumacher's record and winning the next two WCCs, or at least try to.
Old 21 Nov 2019, 23:30 (Ref:3942033)   #3729
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Time to get rid of Brawn

Formula 1 is looking at introducing artificial late-race restarts after the dramatic final laps of last weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix.

A NASCAR-style format, where cars are bunched up before the finish is being examined, said Ross Brawn, F1's managing director of motor sport.
Writing in his post-race column, Brawn said that officials were looking at ways of recreating the Brazilian spectacle, where two safety cars compressed the field and provided the catalyst for frenetic wheel-to-wheel racing, bold overtaking and spectacular misjudgements. Brawn

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/n...e-brazil-drama
Old 21 Nov 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3942035)   #3730
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He’s losing his marbles. Maybe he should have stuck to team management? Let’s face it, this rule hasn’t exactly helped NASCAR’s viewing figures, so why it would for F1 I don’t know
Old 22 Nov 2019, 01:48 (Ref:3942060)   #3731
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow, that's not at all what he said.

The actual words he said, and what he has repeated a few times was looking at what Verstappen did vs other drivers and what the other drivers did. It's not just the cameras but actually what he did and how others reacted. All of this to consider if the rule should be changed to require the leading driver to continue at a controlled pace to the line OR leave it up to the driver on track to determine pace. Nothing like a reporter driving a Brawn sucks agenda and rewriting what was said. NOTHING Brawn said addressed adding safety cars for the hell of it.
Old 22 Nov 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3942124)   #3732
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like he got hold of the wrong end of the stick there. It might not be the writer has an anti Brawn agenda they may just be little dim, or just knows people like to read about F1 going down the pan.
Old 22 Nov 2019, 15:42 (Ref:3942169)   #3733
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im guilty of it at times but it is definitely the latter!

just cant help but click on those outrageous clickbait headlines myself. i particularity like the ones that turn into slideshows.

but seriously, shouldn't they be examining each race from as many perspectives as they can? its just F1's version of analytics.

not doing so was a complaint against the old regime.
Old 22 Nov 2019, 16:33 (Ref:3942187)   #3734
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
just cant help but click on those outrageous clickbait headlines myself. i particularity like the ones that turn into slideshows.
It's going to be a slow winter. All we will have is clickbait headlines!

* Mercedes selling to Penske!
* Brawn to implement random safety car periods!
* Ferrari to fire Vettel!
* (Insert name here) to leave F1!

Richard
Old 22 Nov 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3942215)   #3735
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Future Rule Changes

Back in them there olden days, a fortnightly motor racing mag here in Oz used to regularly run banner headlines across the whole front cover with a question mark tacked onto the end.

Modern F1 version might be something like “Bernie buys back F1 - Ferrari banned?”

Mostly illogical headlines but as an early version of click bait, used to pump up the mag’s circulation!
Old 22 Nov 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3942219)   #3736
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Back in them there olden days, a fortnightly motor racing mag here in Oz used to regularly run banner headlines across the whole front cover with a question mark tacked onto the end.

Modern F1 version might be something like “Bernie buys back F1 - Ferrari banned?”

Mostly illogical headlines but as an early version of click bait, used to pump up the mag’s circulation!
Rather like this from Autoweek: "Could Roger Penske be eyeing Mercedes F1 team?"

https://autoweek.com/article/formula...rcedes-f1-team
Old 22 Nov 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3942220)   #3737
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems an opportune moment to mention Betteridge's Law of Headlines:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bett...w_of_headlines

In short: the answer to a headline which ends in a question mark is almost always "no"
Old 6 Dec 2019, 16:14 (Ref:3945235)   #3738
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Some tweeks for next season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50668906

I presume the piece about the chequered flag being reinstated as the official end of the race means that whatever the light panel shows, drivers keep racing until they see a human being waving a flag! Can’t remember TV coverage showing the light panel at any GP, as the camera shot is usually from the other direction.....
Old 6 Dec 2019, 16:32 (Ref:3945239)   #3739
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Formula 1? Drivers observing flags? Really?
Old 6 Dec 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3945242)   #3740
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Old 7 Dec 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3945360)   #3741
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ooh, you cynic you.

Still, in related news it now means we can have more races finish early when some minor "celebrity" decides to wave the flag one lap early. Yay!
Old 11 Feb 2020, 15:57 (Ref:3956983)   #3742
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
didnt want to take the tributes thread off topic with my rant but i really think the helmet change rule is idiotic.

at speed or at a quick glance, the colour of the t-cam is the more reliable way to tell drivers/cars apart anyways right?...more so now because of the halo.

my personal feeling is that the rule exists because FOM and teams dont want the drivers to be able to monetize a space for themselves. in that i can understand why FOM and the teams may not like it (a driver might take on a sponsor that undermines the sport or brand in some way) but while i understand the issues facing ownership and management, i side, as always, with the athletes (workers) and their rights.

a drivers' helmet is an extension of their racing persona, it is the face that fans connect with. like warriors of olde, those helmets tell stories of life and death, of loss and victory, so in this the drivers should have maximum freedom and creativity to express their own story.

imo, this is a rule that needs to be changed. with the advent of social media, creative helmet design is an aspect of the sport which demands to be popularized.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3956986)   #3743
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
didnt want to take the tributes thread off topic with my rant but i really think the helmet change rule is idiotic.

at speed or at a quick glance, the colour of the t-cam is the more reliable way to tell drivers/cars apart anyways right?...more so now because of the halo.

my personal feeling is that the rule exists because FOM and teams dont want the drivers to be able to monetize a space for themselves. in that i can understand why FOM and the teams may not like it (a driver might take on a sponsor that undermines the sport or brand in some way) but while i understand the issues facing ownership and management, i side, as always, with the athletes (workers) and their rights.

a drivers' helmet is an extension of their racing persona, it is the face that fans connect with. like warriors of olde, those helmets tell stories of life and death, of loss and victory, so in this the drivers should have maximum freedom and creativity to express their own story.

imo, this is a rule that needs to be changed. with the advent of social media, creative helmet design is an aspect of the sport which demands to be popularized.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3956989)   #3744
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:

I agree with all of this. So much so I want to pile on.

* It is dumb
* My kudos to anyone who can quickly identify driver by helmets at speed.
* Agree this is about taking control away from drivers. MUST CONTROL EVERYTHING AT ALL COSTS!!!
* Rules like this is a perfect example of what is wrong with F1. We must extract any type of personality from the sport. Just make them robots.

Richard
Old 11 Feb 2020, 16:39 (Ref:3957002)   #3745
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
yep its totally dumb!
Old 11 Feb 2020, 19:37 (Ref:3957047)   #3746
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTEo
… and oppressive and controlling.

Probably brought in because the drivers' helmets were monopolizing more media time than the racing and other hoopla, so I guess symptomatic of F1's relevance, and the true reason people follow it - the drivers.
Old 6 Mar 2020, 19:28 (Ref:3962009)   #3747
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
the world motor sports council just met and agreed to a bunch of things.

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-announc...l-decisions-17

they support the FIA/Ferrari deal (obviously) and more details about the cost cap for next year (will wait for a journo to pull out the important details)...but the bit i liked and given what we were recently talking about here:

A change to the 2020 Sporting Regulations was approved to allow for unrestricted variations to driver helmet designs between races.

a small thing in the grand scheme of things but i'm really looking forward to the drivers having some fun with this.
Old 6 Mar 2020, 19:35 (Ref:3962015)   #3748
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can understand why the FIA put the restrictions in though, got confusing after a while when people like Vettel changed them race by race. Sort lost a bit of identity that way
Old 6 Mar 2020, 19:43 (Ref:3962020)   #3749
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can understand why the FIA put the restrictions in though, got confusing after a while when people like Vettel changed them race by race. Sort lost a bit of identity that way
agree to disagree that it was confusing or distracting.

but in any event, at worst one still had a 50/50 chance of guessing which driver was under what helmet. it was either the driver you thought it was or it was their team mate.
Old 6 Mar 2020, 19:55 (Ref:3962024)   #3750
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I liked the different helmet designs. It makes a difference, what with the rigid uniformity of team liveries. I think Vettel has the record, with 11 different designs in 2017.