Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 11 Jul 2014, 04:42 (Ref:3432672)   #251
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Well, maybe its time I ended my TenTenths sabbatical.....I've had fun while on 'leave' with the V8 Ute team I am involved with, and also the ST that I sponsor (low level).

I have read from the side-lines the progress and changes to the sport over the winter break. I think we all knew that this was going to be the most sensible outcome.

In fact I remember many on here (myself included) who were, at the time, all in favour of the ST's and TLX's running together. This looks to be happening thanks to the bold efforts of the COG - who I think have done a rather ballsy move here, and for that I applaud them. But I read on here that some are not happy about this.

truth is, NZ is too small to have 2 'top tier' V8 classes, so one of two things was going to happen:

1) One of the series would have died a painful death, or
2) The two would shake each others hands and promise to be nice to each other, and merge to some extent.

The writing has been on the wall since the ITM500 as far as I am concerned. I spent the entire 4 days in the Ute tents opposite the NZV8TC camp, and to be fair, there was more public interest in the utes than the new TLX's. Even the partially clad Altima garnered very little interest. The space frame was developing signs of rust by the sunday, which is no surprise as the steel had not been coated at that point, and it did look a bit thrown together at the last minute. But as is often the case, it is what it is.

The ST area, on the other hand was fair buzzing. Yes, there should have been more cars there, but if you tally up the kiwi contribution to the undercard, it was 15 x schedule ST, 5 x schedule TLX and 10 x schedule TL from memory. So in essence both camps had the same numbers on the grid. This is in stark contrast to the previous year when there was some 30 or more cars on the grid, courtesy of MSNZ taking sides.

I talked to many team owners of ST's and all were happy with the feedback they had got from SC teams (if that means anything at all). Common theme was 'why don't we have those?'

I also spoke to a very friendly chap from Concept who told me that TLX was proud of its DNF tally due to mechanical errors, which at that point was zero. And then nek minnit...2 DNF's on the Camrys with expensive engine blowouts.

And then we hear that both Camrys are for sale (not a biggie) and that their star driver, Bargs, is out of it.

The crowd responded well to the ST's, they did not respond too well to the TLX/TL field, and to say that some punters were confused would be diluting the facts somewhat.

So this had to happen. MSNZ having their pants pulled down because of their shonky business ways had to happen as well. Hopefully the 'new' way forward will prove to be beneficial for all involved, including the paying punters, who lets face it want to see stars in fast cars.

It did get me thinking though about how the TLX will sit in the field with ST's. I Spoke to Foggy some time ago about this and he was nervous about them sharing the same grid......but this appears to be happening.

I too wonder if the TLX's will do the enduros, and will they stand up to 70 laps around Puke? will they be a potential hazard with much faster cars surrounding them? How will a TLX fair in a 40G impact crash like the TMG car, or the Colin Corkery accident? time will tell I guess, but I for one am looking forward to this, hence why I am posting again.

Will we eventually see the TLX's being tuned to be somewhere in the ballpark of a ST? will we see big name drivers in the TLX's? so many questions right now

One thing I do know is that there is to be a new engine parity program in place for ST's, because I for one thought that some cars were clearly faster than others, and rumours all around pitlane suggested that some teams were in fact cheating. Whether there is substance to these rumours, I don't know, but to me, as an observer, it was quite likely.

So I am looking forward to the end of Sept and hope to see a full grid with exciting drivers and professional looking teams. I have it on good faith from the man at the top of the ST tree that SVG and SM are returning to NZ to battle out the enduros. I also believe that a number of Aussie SC teams are seriously looking at V8ST as an alternative to the DVS, so could we see a BJR or DJR, or even T8 outfit racing full time in NZ?

But seriously guys, most of you wanted this to happen 1 or 2 years ago. It is happening, so maybe its time to be positive about this

Stu
Welcome back, quite a good write up on the STs there

Oh and by the way if nobody is going to be interested in the TLX what's the use of them running with the ST
Old 11 Jul 2014, 04:45 (Ref:3432673)   #252
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
why not scrap the LS7, as we all know the bigger capacity was just an out of control ego trying to match V8SC pace with a crate engine, a put the NZST back to 5litres, ??

or is that too easy ??
Since there are 4 times as many ST's as TLX's, why not put LS7's in the TLX's?

Quote:
as long as the 2 chassis are competitive against each other, it could be quite a spectacle, if there is a night and day difference between them, i won't be going trackside.
I suspect that neither the chassis nor the drivers (Ross the possible exception) would be competitive even with more grunt.
Old 11 Jul 2014, 06:16 (Ref:3432682)   #253
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
why not scrap the LS7, as we all know the bigger capacity was just an out of control ego trying to match V8SC pace with a crate engine, a put the NZST back to 5litres, ??

or is that too easy ??
I'm still wondering why one car owner has a 700HP plus ST sitting in his shed? so much much for the untouched crate engine concept :/
Old 11 Jul 2014, 07:07 (Ref:3432695)   #254
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
I'm still wondering why one car owner has a 700HP plus ST sitting in his shed? so much much for the untouched crate engine concept :/

I also have a whole lot more than just my Hyundai, "that nobody wants" sitting in my 'shed' including car 97 complete and ready to go. What about you 'Jules baby' what have you got tucked away in your shed?
Old 11 Jul 2014, 07:32 (Ref:3432705)   #255
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
I also have a whole lot more than just my Hyundai, "that nobody wants" sitting in my 'shed' including car 97 complete and ready to go. What about you 'Jules baby' what have you got tucked away in your shed?
two bikes, an off-roader and a muscle car

your shed might be bigger than mine... you must have room for one of these.. http://www.mx5-racing.co.uk/
Old 11 Jul 2014, 07:42 (Ref:3432712)   #256
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
same with a TL

same with a TR 86

same with a TRS

your point being?

before parity tuning.. the Tulloch TLX put out a low 1:24 at Ruapuna.. with Bargwanna behind the wheel. would a TLX in it's current tune do a 1:24? if not.. I guess it is plausible that the speed of a TLX can be improved without spending a fortune on it would Booth and his team want their cars doing similar lap times as a st? probably not. it might cause more issues with the other side. I mean.. look how butt hurt marky is at the mere mention of increasing the speed of a TLX. I think marky is the only one obsessed with his car being as quick as a V8SC. the TLX could've been quicker than it is.. but what's the point? the TLX weren't racing against V8SC. if the TLX were too quick.. it would've started another ****ing match... and marky would've wanted more money spent on the st.. that the st teams couldn't afford. anyway would you really want such a big difference in lap times between the lead TLX and the lead TL.. that are also on the track at the same time?

Jeez PM, that was hard to get through!
Old 11 Jul 2014, 07:50 (Ref:3432714)   #257
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
you got through it though good job!
Old 11 Jul 2014, 10:26 (Ref:3432749)   #258
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheesh I've missed this bickering,it was almost civilised in here for a but there.

It's an interesting situation with the COG dictating terms. If they want a double class situation on the same grid, is there a minimum for TLX cars? Surely if you've got 15ish ST's and only 3 or 4 TLX's then they'd just be a nuisance I fits a split championship. I can understand 6 or 7 of them being on the same grid.
Old 11 Jul 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3432755)   #259
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Sheesh I've missed this bickering,it was almost civilised in here for a but there.

It's an interesting situation with the COG dictating terms. If they want a double class situation on the same grid, is there a minimum for TLX cars? Surely if you've got 15ish ST's and only 3 or 4 TLX's then they'd just be a nuisance I fits a split championship. I can understand 6 or 7 of them being on the same grid.
Sort of like flies, eh?
Old 11 Jul 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3432769)   #260
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Tech News June ‘14
Hi All,
Well it’s been a while since you have received a newsletter. Although there haven’t been any newsletters of late, the Tech Committee
have not been sitting on their hands.
The main project we have been working on is a complete rewrite of the V8ST Technical Regulations. These have been written in a format that aligns with MSNZ and will be as up to date as possible when published. This means that all previous changes from old bulletins and newsletters will be have been incorporated in to the new document.
The new tech regs will be known as Schedule ST and should be in your hands in a week or so.
As a taster, one of the biggest changes will be the designation of ‘control components’. A number of you will be familiar with this concept but to clarify, a control component is controlled in every respect. This means you can’t change it in any way, shape or form unless permitted by Schedule ST or the Build Manual. These controls include the manufacturer, design, material, finish and of course the supplier. Therefore you can’t make your own or paint it or anodise or buy it from anybody or anything else. We have heard that some are ‘doing their own thing’. Sorry, not allowed!!!
Our next project is the Build Manual. This is underway and should be finished in by the end of July.
Now for some changes the Tech Comm. have approved recently;
1, All cars must have either 1 or 2 lambda sensors fitted to the car. The single option is to be fitted to the port in the exhaust ‘cross’. The double option is to be fitted in 2 ports that need to be installed in each exhaust pipe near to the exhaust manifold (see drawing Technical Bulletin TB 007-2014). The Tech Comm. and D-Tech recommends the double option.
2, An inspection hatch may be installed in the tunnel to provide better access to the starter motor (see drawing attached).
3, The installation of polycarbonate windscreens is approved for both the front and rear. These are both ‘control components’ and therefore
must be purchased from V8ST. So now you have a choice of glass or polycarbonate windscreens.
4, ‘Aerocatch’ catches will be supplied FOC to each car for bonnet and boot. These must be installed prior to the next event. The kits will be available from V8ST in the next couple of weeks
5, The radiator cowling is now a ‘control component’ and as such
all cars must be fitted with the latest V8ST component i.e. "SPEC 3" before the next event. No other radiator cowling is permitted. The new unit will fit both the Ford and Holden and provide for more room around the air intake.
6, Speaking of radiators, these will become a ‘control component’ from 01-Jan-2015. This means your current radiator is permitted for the Endurance Rounds but only the control radiator can be used from Jan 1
st onward.
7, The Fram (HP5) marque of oil filter has been added to the parts list giving you a choice of filter.
8, There has been a lot of talk about engine legality, parity etc etc. In an effort to dispel these rumours, any engine rebuilt after 01-Jul-2014 shall be dyno tuned by Dtech Motorsport prior to use in an event. This will be at the teams cost. To define ‘rebuilt’ we see this as any engine that will be ‘sealed’ after the above date. Logically, the engine will need to be installed in the car.
9, As a reminder, the engine air inlet ‘snorkel’ may be insulated on the underside only. (Following the bonding line separating the top and the bottom of the inlet pipe)
10, We have become aware of the following FIA rulings which must be implemented prior to the next event; (this is a safety requirement and therefore compulsory).
(a) all glass, other than the front windscreen,
must have clear safety film applied to the inner surface. This means the rear windscreen (if glass) and the rear door quarterlite windows shall have the safety film applied to them.
(b) The rear wing end plates must be 5mm thick. V8ST’s are only 1.5mm. A new endplate is currently under production. We will advise when these are available.
11, A kit has been developed to add a replaceable skid pads to the front splitter. This is an infill item so retains the clean profile of the splitter’s underside. The installation involves removing the outer underside of the splitter and grafting in the new piece. This process could return a somewhat ‘second hand’ splitter to a serviceable unit once more.
All queries re the above should be directed to V8ST c/o Didier.
There are many other items the Tech Comm. is working on and testing. Some of these are a different gear cut, a front wheel speed sensor, new side skirts for the Ford, and of course the shock update. We’ll keep you posted as these come online.
Lastly, we are often advised of how something could be done better. As a group our ears are always open to new ideas. Therefore if you have a bright idea can I ask that you take the time to put pen to paper, take a photo or two and send this to technical@v8supertourers.co.nz and didier@v8supertourers.co.nz
Cheers
Steve
Old 11 Jul 2014, 11:46 (Ref:3432775)   #261
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Cheers BP
Old 12 Jul 2014, 22:36 (Ref:3433277)   #262
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Tech News June ‘14
Hi All,
Well it’s been a while since you have received a newsletter. Although there haven’t been any newsletters of late, the Tech Committee
have not been sitting on their hands.
The main project we have been working on is a complete rewrite of the V8ST Technical Regulations. These have been written in a format that aligns with MSNZ and will be as up to date as possible when published. This means that all previous changes from old bulletins and newsletters will be have been incorporated in to the new document.
The new tech regs will be known as Schedule ST and should be in your hands in a week or so.
As a taster, one of the biggest changes will be the designation of ‘control components’. A number of you will be familiar with this concept but to clarify, a control component is controlled in every respect. This means you can’t change it in any way, shape or form unless permitted by Schedule ST or the Build Manual. These controls include the manufacturer, design, material, finish and of course the supplier. Therefore you can’t make your own or paint it or anodise or buy it from anybody or anything else. We have heard that some are ‘doing their own thing’. Sorry, not allowed!!!
Our next project is the Build Manual. This is underway and should be finished in by the end of July.
Now for some changes the Tech Comm. have approved recently;
1, All cars must have either 1 or 2 lambda sensors fitted to the car. The single option is to be fitted to the port in the exhaust ‘cross’. The double option is to be fitted in 2 ports that need to be installed in each exhaust pipe near to the exhaust manifold (see drawing Technical Bulletin TB 007-2014). The Tech Comm. and D-Tech recommends the double option.
2, An inspection hatch may be installed in the tunnel to provide better access to the starter motor (see drawing attached).
3, The installation of polycarbonate windscreens is approved for both the front and rear. These are both ‘control components’ and therefore
must be purchased from V8ST. So now you have a choice of glass or polycarbonate windscreens.
4, ‘Aerocatch’ catches will be supplied FOC to each car for bonnet and boot. These must be installed prior to the next event. The kits will be available from V8ST in the next couple of weeks
5, The radiator cowling is now a ‘control component’ and as such
all cars must be fitted with the latest V8ST component i.e. "SPEC 3" before the next event. No other radiator cowling is permitted. The new unit will fit both the Ford and Holden and provide for more room around the air intake.
6, Speaking of radiators, these will become a ‘control component’ from 01-Jan-2015. This means your current radiator is permitted for the Endurance Rounds but only the control radiator can be used from Jan 1
st onward.
7, The Fram (HP5) marque of oil filter has been added to the parts list giving you a choice of filter.
8, There has been a lot of talk about engine legality, parity etc etc. In an effort to dispel these rumours, any engine rebuilt after 01-Jul-2014 shall be dyno tuned by Dtech Motorsport prior to use in an event. This will be at the teams cost. To define ‘rebuilt’ we see this as any engine that will be ‘sealed’ after the above date. Logically, the engine will need to be installed in the car.
9, As a reminder, the engine air inlet ‘snorkel’ may be insulated on the underside only. (Following the bonding line separating the top and the bottom of the inlet pipe)
10, We have become aware of the following FIA rulings which must be implemented prior to the next event; (this is a safety requirement and therefore compulsory).
(a) all glass, other than the front windscreen,
must have clear safety film applied to the inner surface. This means the rear windscreen (if glass) and the rear door quarterlite windows shall have the safety film applied to them.
(b) The rear wing end plates must be 5mm thick. V8ST’s are only 1.5mm. A new endplate is currently under production. We will advise when these are available.
11, A kit has been developed to add a replaceable skid pads to the front splitter. This is an infill item so retains the clean profile of the splitter’s underside. The installation involves removing the outer underside of the splitter and grafting in the new piece. This process could return a somewhat ‘second hand’ splitter to a serviceable unit once more.
All queries re the above should be directed to V8ST c/o Didier.
There are many other items the Tech Comm. is working on and testing. Some of these are a different gear cut, a front wheel speed sensor, new side skirts for the Ford, and of course the shock update. We’ll keep you posted as these come online.
Lastly, we are often advised of how something could be done better. As a group our ears are always open to new ideas. Therefore if you have a bright idea can I ask that you take the time to put pen to paper, take a photo or two and send this to technical@v8supertourers.co.nz and didier@v8supertourers.co.nz
Cheers
Steve

Good to see that for those racers that want to compete on a level playing field such as in V8ST and the TRS series, that effort continues to be put into ensuring that every competitor has exactly the same opportunity to extract the best out of the exact same bits.

I know that many racers prefer to be able to do there own thing and there are lots of categories that cater for individual freedoms even within budget class's, and I have no problem with such racing as I am the proud owner of such a car. Obviously when we started V8 Supertourers 20 people agreed and paid $200,000 plus per car because they wanted equal opportunity, others decided they didn't and went off to do there own thing, again I have no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is the suggestion that somehow the 4 car owners that elected to do the own thing [now down to just 3 owners] that 20 other individual owners of V8ST cars that are identical under the skin, should accommodate the 3 owners of car's that are widely different in many respects.

The 3 owners left standing all had a choice, and they chose to have certain freedoms that the V8ST owners chose not to. The tightening of the V8ST rules above, demonstrate's that the vast majority of V8 Touring car owners want there cars to be identical in every respect save for the silhouette of the body, you simply cant have that if you dont have one strictly controlled engine.
Old 12 Jul 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3433295)   #263
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
you do know.. as a st car owner constantly having a dig at the opposition in public.. doesn't help, right? it didn't help when you moaned about the V8SC in the media.. and it hasn't helped over the on going V8 ****ing match.. that's being going on for how years now?? st numbers were down last season.. the paying public weren't exactly beating down any doors to buy tickets to watch 12-13 st and non existent support classes. people are tired of the on going fighting between the two sides. people aren't worried about any winners. they just want both sides to get the **** over it and pull their heads in. it's beyond a joke
Old 12 Jul 2014, 23:50 (Ref:3433299)   #264
JamesK
Racer

JamesK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.. that effort continues to be put into ensuring that every competitor has exactly the same opportunity to extract the best out of the exact same bits.
.. that 20 other individual owners of V8ST cars that are identical under the skin..
The tightening of the V8ST rules above, demonstrate's that the vast majority of V8 Touring car owners want there cars to be identical in every respect save for the silhouette of the body,
Something that has no apparently happened as yet, possibly thanks to the minority.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 00:05 (Ref:3433300)   #265
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to clear things up.
6-7 cars will be on the grid for the next NZV8 season. Including 2 Toyota's and a shiny new Nissan.
And no accommodation has to be made. Just run the cars as they are and see what happens.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 01:18 (Ref:3433305)   #266
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
Just to clear things up.
6-7 cars will be on the grid for the next NZV8 season. Including 2 Toyota's and a shiny new Nissan.
And no accommodation has to be made. Just run the cars as they are and see what happens.
Is there a Calendar out yet for NZV8?
Old 13 Jul 2014, 02:36 (Ref:3433318)   #267
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
rather curious.. the guy that spent a month claiming the series has ended.. is now asking about the new season? lol
Old 13 Jul 2014, 02:41 (Ref:3433320)   #268
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
V8 Supertourers 20 people agreed and paid $200,000 plus per car because they wanted equal opportunity, others decided they didn't and went off to do there own thing, again I have no problem with that.
The 3 owners left standing all had a choice, and they chose to have certain freedoms that the V8ST owners chose not to.
I actually agree with that, just like the purchasers of Mini Challenge, Suzuki Swift, PRS and however many classes before them (and those in the future) all decided to purchase those cars & have been left with no class for them to race. The unfortunate thing for Motorsport in general is that all these buyers have been burnt to some degree when the respective class folds. Thats the danger involved in purchasing any "one make series" cars.

Quote:
The tightening of the V8ST rules above, demonstrate's that the vast majority of V8 Touring car owners want there cars to be identical in every respect save for the silhouette of the body, you simply cant have that if you dont have one strictly controlled engine.
This doesn't at all suggest that the "majority of V8 TC owners want one car save for the silhouette" at all... it simply demonstrates that there have always been significant anomalies in the V8ST ranks & the class is finally moving to tidy their rules up. Hopefully this will go some way towards increasing the fact that only about half these cars competed at the last round of the series.

Last edited by CDM; 13 Jul 2014 at 02:48.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3433378)   #269
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
you do know.. as a st car owner constantly having a dig at the opposition in public.. doesn't help, right? it didn't help when you moaned about the V8SC in the media.. and it hasn't helped over the on going V8 ****ing match..............................................
The same may be said of you Jules or who ever you are, and your constant sniping at V8ST. You know who I am, and my role in conceiving, building and delivering 20 V8ST kitset-cars to customers. You hide behind a pseudonym and a key board, taking pot shots at V8ST, me or anything else to do with V8ST.

You don't even have the guts to put your hand up and say this is who I am, let alone what you have done in motor racing the gives you and your opinion's any credibility.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3433383)   #270
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
Just to clear things up.
So Geoff, have you finally put your money up and purchased a TLX car, or is this just more rhetoric?
Old 13 Jul 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3433396)   #271
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
so if I have no credibility and my opinion doesn't matter.. so why are you concerned with what I have to say? my opinions are mine own.. I don't have anything to gain or any hidden agendas.

Quote:
What I do have a problem with is the suggestion that somehow the 4 car owners that elected to do the own thing [now down to just 3 owners] that 20 other individual owners of V8ST cars that are identical under the skin, should accommodate the 3 owners of car's that are widely different in many respects.
I also have a problem with this. this silly little ****ing contest doesn't just affect 20 ST cars owners.. and 4 TLX car owners. it's hurt the sport as a whole. it will continue to do so.. if people are stuck in this me vs them mindset. time to look at the big picture.. don't you think?
Old 13 Jul 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3433623)   #272
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
so if I have no credibility and my opinion doesn't matter.. so why are you concerned with what I have to say? my opinions are mine own.. I don't have anything to gain or any hidden agendas.

We could all judge the validity of your claim, and the weight of your opinion if you had the guts to stand up and be countered, until then you are just an obsessive "troll" tapping on your keyboard.

Old 13 Jul 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3433644)   #273
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
name calling now? really? let's try to stay on topic, eh?
Old 13 Jul 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3433647)   #274
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
name calling now? really? let's try to stay on topic, eh?

My sincere apologies Maxi who ever you really are, its a pity you dont have the guts to come out of the 'closet' and then, just maybe, your opinion's will count, on this thread.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3433653)   #275
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
yeah.. I've heard you've been snooping around this weekend lol funny

just block me.. if my comments (that don't matter) hurt your feelings that much getting upset over comments in a online forum is rather unhealthy