Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Dec 2003, 02:17 (Ref:799759)   #1
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the Memories Larko

One thing that seems to have got lost in one of the most bizarre rounds of the championship I've ever seen Is the retirement of Mark Larkham.

I remeber Larko's entry into the series in his open wheeler engineered Falcon many years ago and have been eagerly following his progress ever since.

After Dick Johnson retired, I moved my Ford driver soft spot over to Larko where its been ever since.

But, all good things must come to an end, and I would like to say Thank You for the memories Larko, It's been fantastic watching you race, and I'm looking forward to seeing you back in the car at Sandown & Bathurst in 04
Old 1 Dec 2003, 02:28 (Ref:799768)   #2
barra
Racer

barra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I must say, Larko's last race didn't have the fan fair I thought it would, I am disappointed Larko didn't get the results he deserved, but a lot of his engineering in his first Falcon have slowly made there way into the cars these days. There becoming more like Larko's original.
Larko is the genuine nice guy he comes across as, and I wish him and his team well. Lets hope big things come from LMS next year.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 02:40 (Ref:799779)   #3
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't that long ago when Mount Panorama erupted from a 2.09....!!!

1999. Larkos hot lap!
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:12 (Ref:799862)   #4
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was surprised when Matthew White was going through what Larko had acheived, that he never mentioned the win that Larko had in 200 at Calder.

None the less - Well done Larko.

I feel it's a pity that he only managed one race win, but anyway.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:27 (Ref:799869)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was lucky enough to catch up with Larko yesterday, he took his departure with very good grace, although it didnt seem to hit him yet.

The will likely be pangs as he doesnt put his helmet on while the Orrcon cars go out on the grid at the AGP, and he isnt driving....

For the business of Larkham Motor Sport, it is something that will strengthen the organisation, allowing the owner to get involved in more detail on the day to day issues side, and hopefully get involved in the TEGA board representation.

A good racer on occassion, Larko never had the budget of his contemporaries thru most of his career.

Here's hoping Mark Winterbottom does the team proud as his replacement
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Dec 2003, 05:52 (Ref:799884)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's going too early i reckon.

It doesn't seem that long ago that he beat Russell Ingall to the 1989 Formula Ford crown in the Coffey Ford Van Dieman
Old 1 Dec 2003, 06:03 (Ref:799889)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember Larko and Rusty coming together at Amaroo Park when Rusty was running the #13 Caltex Van Diemen, and Larko in the Coffey Ford version.... they both broke suspension parts, and Larko claimed the series....

Interestingly Rusty took on the Coffey Ford sponsorship, and kept the Caltex sponsorship to win the series the very next season

Larko is going before he is being called... I wish some others in the class would consider doing the same...
Old 1 Dec 2003, 07:04 (Ref:799930)   #8
Rowdy
Racer

Australia
The Shire
Rowdy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
couldn't of said it better Phase. Have supported Larko since his F/Holden days and will always be a LMS fan Great bloke and quality driver who without that many wins still has a great record, But like larko am excited about the future of LMS. Tahnks for the memories and good luck. Will always remember his pole at bathurst, in my mind it is on a par with murphs. Still time left for a larkham bathurst victory that don't forget has been very close in the past.

Larko, We miss you.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 07:08 (Ref:799935)   #9
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame to see him go I would have loved to have seen him have another year ina hopefully much better BA next year but it's not to be & i wish him all the luck in the world in his new role.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 07:34 (Ref:799960)   #10
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has been pretty much invisible lately but a good refined and intelligent driver that never quite got the high profile results despite his great record in open wheelers.

Obviously an astute businessman who has recognised that driving and ownership are a difficult mix.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 1 Dec 2003, 07:35 (Ref:799961)   #11
AussieTeddie
Rookie

AussieTeddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larko, thanks for the great memories. You are one of the characters and made V8's enjoyable.

All the best in your new role. I just know you will do ok.

Thanks again
Old 1 Dec 2003, 09:10 (Ref:800041)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thanks for the crashes - i think larko will be a better team owner/manager than he ever was a driver, best of luck to orrcon racing in the future

apologise to larko fans, but thats my opinion
Old 1 Dec 2003, 09:14 (Ref:800049)   #13
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the nicest guys around, good luck to him in semi retirement and i'm sure made a great choice in mark Winterbottom and the engine deal with SBR, Bargs BA seems to be going well lately.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 10:36 (Ref:800149)   #14
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
It doesn't seem that long ago that he beat Russell Ingall to the 1989 Formula Ford crown in the Coffey Ford Van Dieman
He was awesome that year, his drive at Mallala was fantastic. He was turned around by Ingall at the first corner, did a complete 360 and rejoined the field in around 10th. He steadily picked off the guys in front of him one by one to come through and win the race. One of his best races that year, along with one of the Amaroo Coke races where he came through from a bad qualifying position to finish in the top five.

Larko never really got the luck he deserved, did he? He did have his moments in the spotlight, though; that lap of Bathurst sticks in the memory...
Old 1 Dec 2003, 19:48 (Ref:800627)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So why wasnt Larko's retirement mentioned at the awards night??
Old 1 Dec 2003, 22:54 (Ref:800790)   #16
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought that myself GTR, what a lame excuse for a nigght anyway,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Personally I think with what he has had at his dispossal he has done a fine job, Mark Noske will fill the void as the struggling team owner now. The team is now 75% stronger with the Winterbottom name on a contract. A good 04 Just aroung the corner.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 22:57 (Ref:800793)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mark Winterbottom handled himself well in front of a crowd of his peers & contemporaries last night too. Nice to see him thanking the names behind the well known teams too
Old 1 Dec 2003, 22:59 (Ref:800797)   #18
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Genuine nice kid, good looks, talent support from all and sundry, look out skaife the new face of the sport may have arrived.