Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 19 Sep 2006, 01:30 (Ref:1713343)   #1
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Unser Jr. to NASCAR

Here's the goofiest one yet.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...=1037645509200

Guess he wants to race still.

J.D.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 01:45 (Ref:1713346)   #2
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or maybe he's still drugged out livin' large with a stripper!
Old 19 Sep 2006, 05:59 (Ref:1713410)   #3
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunately for Unser Jr., he is almost certainly too old to make the switch at the cup level. He is 44 and it seems that is about when most NASCAR drivers begin to drop-off significantly. If he made the switch earlier he could have succeed, given his success in the IROC series.

Last edited by VilleneuveTracy; 19 Sep 2006 at 06:02.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 19 Sep 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1713530)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given that it's over 2 years since he last raced, I can't see Al making a success of things, but as Dav alludes the latter part of his career was hampered by lifestyle issues, and if he is cleaned up he might be able to regain some of his old form.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1713712)   #5
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
He didn't run very well at Indy this year (granted the equipment may have been subpar). I think he's solved a lot of his personal problems. I just don't think it's going to happen at least with a good team. I can see him running a partial schedule with one of the smaller teams but with generally poor results. If anything he should have made the switch during thr IRL/CART split or shortly after. Then he may have had a chance. Reading the article there isn't any real quotes or anything from Al, so this just may be a rumour without much substance.

I bet next we'll hear Ferrari and Schumacher will be joining NASCAR....

J.D.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1713799)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Al hasn't really been on form since his last days in CART ten years a go to an extent.
I would like to see him NASCAR, but hey judging by his form in the IRL over the last two years even then he has been off the pace.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 18:25 (Ref:1714021)   #7
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He could just make it. Boris Said is something like 42-43 and hopefully has a full seaosn ride for 2007.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1714038)   #8
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
His old man should tell him to go back where he started and run a dozen or so sprint car races; if he can win in those, he still has the ability to drive anything.
Bob
Old 19 Sep 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1714082)   #9
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erki
He could just make it. Boris Said is something like 42-43 and hopefully has a full seaosn ride for 2007.
Apples and oranges. Boris has been very active, to say the least, and has been racing everything. Unser needs a lot of catching up and his age would probably get him.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 00:50 (Ref:1714228)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
Apples and oranges. Boris has been very active, to say the least, and has been racing everything. Unser needs a lot of catching up and his age would probably get him.
I don't think it's his numeric age as much as not being in shape.

He also hasn't raced much in a while, so it might be good to get back behind the wheel of anything.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 01:59 (Ref:1714246)   #11
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I don't think it's his numeric age as much as not being in shape.

He also hasn't raced much in a while, so it might be good to get back behind the wheel of anything.
That was my point. Comparing Boris and Unser is like comparing apples and oranges. Boris has been "super-active" while Unser has not and it would take a long time to get back in the swing of things ....and....learn how to drive the Nascar cars.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1714852)   #12
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
Yeah Boris is much better shape than Unser. You can tell just by looking at the two of them. Unser hasn't driven anything in the last few years other than at Indy and Boris has been driving everything possible. Look at what happened to Cheever when he came back to the IRL this year.Now I like Cheever, but it was obvious from his performance and the accidents he had that his driving abilities had atrophied since he last drove. I think Unser may experience something similar and it will be made worse by switching to a new type of race car. There is also a chance that his past personal problems may have a negative impact on his driving performance.

J.D.