Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2666010)   #1
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Videogame-style ideas in F1

Just wanted to hear people's opinion on this:

Ideas like KERS seem suspiciously close to me, to being video-game like in their quality.

Add to this that Bernie has suggested the possiblity of shortcuts in F1, and the similarity is too close to bear.

Personally, I had always thought that KERS was basically an overdressed "NITRO BOOST!" button - I dunno how Bernie was thinking of disguising the shortcuts idea.

Now, my main point: I know a lot of people slag the idea off, BUT (and hear me out here) I think turning F1 into more of a video game could be rather appealing (and I'm kind of being serious). It'll make it appeal more and more to an audience who wouldn't otherwise be interested.

With short-cuts, I would actually instead suggest two ways of going round a corner that were equal in the time taken to get round them. The idea is that it would possibly aid overtaking opportunities, creating more than one racing line:

(This is a very quick drawing, quite literally done in about 20 seconds)

What is everybody's opinion on video-game ideas like this? And on my suggestion?
Old 3 Apr 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2666011)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KERS isn't that much of a ZOMG NITRO BOOST! thing, mainly because any regenerative brake will have good times to use it, and pointless times to use it. A team would not have to set it to maximum power all the time, they could run it at half/third power and gain less power over more time, but that isn't the best way.

I can live with KERS, especially as other forms of racing have far more artificially methods of having overboost. However, this is F1, not Jeux Sans Frontieres - no shortcuts, no tactical oil slicks, no smoke screens and certainly no weapons.

That system would not necessarily mean two racing lines, due to the exit speeds in to the next straight.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2666012)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I was going to do this I would have an alternate route that didn't have a racing line that through the car onto the racing line of the other route.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2666054)   #4
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Fair enough.

Couldn't think of a better example off the top of my head though.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2666083)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You drew a picture, I didn't even bother.

I'm not really for it. However I'm for discussing it.
There was a suggestion that you'd be able to use it a limited number of times in the race. However your drawing is pretty even (depending on the track before and after). In which case you could just let them chose every lap. Practice would be fun as they found the quickest route. If it rained it may change too!
Old 3 Apr 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2666093)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's too Mario Kart for me, to be honest. Much more interest could probably be made from tweaking the technical regulations.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2666114)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'm in agreement there, however lets go with this idea for this thread.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2666150)   #8
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
I suppose my logic is just that it is a more imaginative solution to the problem of overtaking than just tweaking the technical regulations (not saying thats a bad thing though ).

I can easily imagine my quick drawing on that last chicane in the new Nurburgring circuit (the circuit I based my first example on). If you have a look on Google earth, they changed the chicane to a slower one:

Of course, these two chicanes would not be the same length time-wise as each other, but it is a possible real world example. I think it could be used without being Mario-Kart-ish

Still, whether realistic or not, its cool talking about it though.
Has anyone else got any videogame ideas that they reckon could be used in F1 (or might not, but are still pretty cool ideas?!)
Old 3 Apr 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2666161)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I refer you to my rather flawed yellow-flag button idea: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ow+flag+button
Old 3 Apr 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2666175)   #10
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Just wanted to hear people's opinion on this:

Ideas like KERS seem suspiciously close to me, to being video-game like in their quality.

Add to this that Bernie has suggested the possiblity of shortcuts in F1, and the similarity is too close to bear.

What is everybody's opinion on video-game ideas like this? And on my suggestion?
if he really wants it videogame style, he'd have to have every circuit install a tunnel, with a difficult aproach, that will take you through water-splashes, under low-hanging rocks, or branches, maybe some lava patches, which will bypass most of the circuit.

I'd watch that.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2666187)   #11
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not just have wider tracks? Works for MotoGP(weird example, but yeah)
Old 4 Apr 2010, 00:38 (Ref:2666207)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's the one I would like to see. I know most of the older tracks would and should be impossible to do that to but Tilke could have easily made his designs with a little more width to them. Would be really nice to see some of the corners wide enough for 2 cars to be able to take it, I know it wouldn't be at race speed but could help in overtaking by giving them a longer chance to make the move or set them up for the next corner.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 01:07 (Ref:2666210)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
With short-cuts, I would actually instead suggest two ways of going round a corner that were equal in the time taken to get round them. The idea is that it would possibly aid overtaking opportunities, creating more than one racing line:

(This is a very quick drawing, quite literally done in about 20 seconds)

If it takes equal time to go round the corner, using either route, then it doesn't matter which route is taken, so there might just as well be one route. Again, if it takes equal time to go round the corner, using either route, the lead car will still remain in the lead as it was the first car to go into the corner and it will be the first car out of the corner, with the second car following.

This will only work for overtaking if one route is faster than the other but then everyone will want to use the faster route.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2666564)   #14
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
This will only work for overtaking if one route is faster than the other but then everyone will want to use the faster route.
Well, the solution to that is simple. Block the approach to the faster route with a giant windmill. That way you have to time your putt errr, your approach to the faster route so you won't bounce off one of the windmill blades.

Edited to add: Oh, man, I wish I was an artist so I could share my mental image of a huge miniature golf windmill on an F1 track with all of you!

Last edited by Rgms320; 4 Apr 2010 at 12:25.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2666570)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Timing then, would be of the essence.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2666632)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Time extensions

In qualifying. It would be like the current system of drivers dropping out, except it would apply at the sector points. Fail to pass it in time and you're out of qualifying. It would be hard for TV to keep up with what's occurring everywhere though.

The last person still running would be on pole.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2666657)   #17
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a pretty crazy suggestion but not necessarily a bad one. I think it would probably work better at somewhere like the Nurburgring if you left the chicane 'as is', with one slow option and one fast option. The fast option could be used by each driver five times in the race.

Would you do it in traffic to leapfrog someone else or do it on your own to maximise your speed and minimise your laptime? I wouldn't adopt this wacky scheme across the board but there is a certain element of novelty value in it and the chance to improve the spectacle.

Maybe we should have a winter or mid-season non-championship race to trial this. Would a one-off winter race be a bad place to test out ideas?
Old 4 Apr 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2666671)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'd like to see a circuit with loops a la San Francisco Rush 2049 or Speed Racer.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2666675)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
You can make tracks that have loops with Hotwheels.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2666715)   #20
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
F1 tracks are already plenty wide. Every other category can put on good racing at a track that is 12m wide, but F1 is having trouble doing the same with tracks that are 15m wide, and have start/finish straights of 16-18m width (or in the case of Monza and Fuji, 20-25m in width). And of course, if you allow these guys to block, they'll block to the grass, no matter how wide the track is, and then you won't get any passing because of that.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2666773)   #21
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If it takes equal time to go round the corner, using either route, then it doesn't matter which route is taken, so there might just as well be one route. Again, if it takes equal time to go round the corner, using either route, the lead car will still remain in the lead as it was the first car to go into the corner and it will be the first car out of the corner, with the second car following.

Very true. What I was thinking of though was that it would increase blocking potential for the car following, by being able to pull out in front of the lead car in the chicane, because my idea was that today cars in F1 can't overtake because of the dirty air generated by the car in front. Overtaking cars are faster than the ones in front, so therefore, if you removed the dirty air, they'd be more likely to pull in front of the car that was originally in front of them.

That was kind of the idea anyway. Whether it would actually work for real - well, the only way to find out would be to try it out in a non-championship race, as someone suggested already.

Old 4 Apr 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2666807)   #22
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
We discussed this at work the other day.

Basically, the only thing in Mario Kart we wouldn't have would be the bonus extra size and the bonus shrink everyone else. And only for technical reasons.

Everything else would be perfect. Although the world supply of turtle shells might take a hit.

I'd vote for Rainbow road as the best track.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2666865)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
****, that track is freakin' im-bloody-possible to see where it goes! Besides, you'd give half the viewers epileptic seizures running there.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 00:13 (Ref:2666870)   #24
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
because my idea was that today cars in F1 can't overtake because of the dirty air generated by the car in front.
Here's a novel idea, simplify the diffuser design, make the rear wing smaller, and give the cars bigger rear tyres!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 5 Apr 2010, 04:04 (Ref:2666900)   #25
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Light up gold spanners at various points in the circuit, off the racing line. Light them up at random and when a driver collects 3 then his KERS button gets activated for two shots.