Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Aug 2016, 02:11 (Ref:3668726)   #276
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
So a couple of questions for me.

1. What is the loss of affiliate sponsors related to Holden. It wasn't that long ago that HRT were the kings of these related B2B sponsorships.
2. Without the star drivers how hard is it to draw equivalent sponsorship? One way to look at it is that Holden has had most of the space, but even the smaller sponsorships seem to have been hard to come by.

Pye is very likeable but I fear he's always going to zig when he should have zagged.

You wonder just what results he might have had if he ended up in a 888 car.
Mr Pye had a full house 888 car, with crew.. and didn't get the job done in the Dunlop series of 2012...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Aug 2016, 02:13 (Ref:3668728)   #277
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Pye had a full house 888 car, with crew.. and didn't get the job done in the Dunlop series of 2012...
Narrowly lost to Scott McLaughlin, widely regarded as one of the best new talents to come to the sport in recent history, and above Chaz Mostert!

No shame in that if you ask me.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 02:53 (Ref:3668729)   #278
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah if only he had won DVS, just imagine... he could have had the illustrious career 2013 winner Dale Wood has had so far .....................................................
Old 31 Aug 2016, 03:18 (Ref:3668732)   #279
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Narrowly lost to Scott McLaughlin, widely regarded as one of the best new talents to come to the sport in recent history, and above Chaz Mostert!

No shame in that if you ask me.
Mostert lost that championship due to some bonehead moves, resulting in a significant points penalty.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 03:20 (Ref:3668733)   #280
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Yeah if only he had won DVS, just imagine... he could have had the illustrious career 2013 winner Dale Wood has had so far .....................................................
Not many have won it, and had sustainable success in the maingame.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 03:20 (Ref:3668734)   #281
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Mostert lost that championship due to some bonehead moves, resulting in a significant points penalty.
If my auntie had balls, she'd be me uncle....

Pye had the only DNF out of the 3, from memory mechanical...

Fact is that is probably THE best DVS lineup in a very long time, for Pye to finish between those 2 is nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 03:28 (Ref:3668735)   #282
Umai Naa
Veteran

For sure. Not descrediting how the championship panned out.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 03:31 (Ref:3668736)   #283
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Not many have won it, and had sustainable success in the maingame.
Is this the first time 2 Dunlop Series champions have paired at Bathurst?
Old 31 Aug 2016, 04:12 (Ref:3668739)   #284
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Is this the first time 2 Dunlop Series champions have paired at Bathurst?
No, MW and SO were paired up last year.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 04:53 (Ref:3668742)   #285
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
SpeedCafe's View

The Nissan discussion is interesting.
Presumably it is dependent on whether Nissan continues to fund the team.

At this late stage of the year, you can only presume that Nissan would be the Kellys weapon of convenience/choice next season regardless, being very late to change brands/powerplants for a single season..

Not impossible to switch, the underbody architecture is similar, just clunky.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 05:42 (Ref:3668747)   #286
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even if Nissan say 'No Deal' to the Kelly's (unlikely IMO) I doubt they'd do a Volvo and demand that they remove the car entirely from the series, so I'd reckon there'll be Nissans on the grid in 17.
Old 31 Aug 2016, 10:26 (Ref:3668761)   #287
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2017 Altima (at least at the moment) has some pretty significant design changes in the looks department. Would Nissan want an out of date shape raced? Would Kelly's have to homologate a new body?
Old 1 Sep 2016, 05:40 (Ref:3668870)   #288
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will anyone notice a change in the design changes? They're only selling a dozen a week or something aren't they?

And while Nissan dilly-dallies on its VASC decisions, it confirms a factory backed effort in the Australian GT3 series.

Nissan confirm a GT3 entry for Caruso

What does this mean for their upcoming VASC decision? Something? Anything? Nothing?

Last edited by mayhem; 1 Sep 2016 at 05:47.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 06:11 (Ref:3668872)   #289
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Will anyone notice a change in the design changes? They're only selling a dozen a week or something aren't they?

And while Nissan dilly-dallies on its VASC decisions, it confirms a factory backed effort in the Australian GT3 series.

Nissan confirm a GT3 entry for Caruso

What does this mean for their upcoming VASC decision? Something? Anything? Nothing?
Nothing, because its not a factory backing of the GT3, merely local support. the V8 supercars bid is going to Japan for approval
Old 1 Sep 2016, 08:58 (Ref:3668883)   #290
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Nothing, because its not a factory backing of the GT3, merely local support. the V8 supercars bid is going to Japan for approval
Aren't our northern neighbors more interested in running in the GT series in Asia and Europe, tha racing world wide, or support a n a small outfit running saloon type cars .

As much as I like bent 8 racing, GT racing seems to more popular in Asia , than saloon style cars.

It may come down to this , What do Nissan want:
GT Racing across the world
Saloon car racing in Aust
???????????????

interesting decision to come out of Nissan HQ
Old 1 Sep 2016, 09:14 (Ref:3668885)   #291
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Local rules preclude factory run teams in AUS GT3 like V8SC. Factory backing is as good as it gets.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3668887)   #292
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Aren't our northern neighbors more interested in running in the GT series in Asia and Europe, tha racing world wide, or support a n a small outfit running saloon type cars .

As much as I like bent 8 racing, GT racing seems to more popular in Asia , than saloon style cars.

It may come down to this , What do Nissan want:
GT Racing across the world
Saloon car racing in Aust
???????????????

interesting decision to come out of Nissan HQ
And how do the costs compare, as well as the potential ROI?
Old 1 Sep 2016, 09:59 (Ref:3668891)   #293
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

It's Kelly run with technical support from Nismo. It's factory backed.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 10:05 (Ref:3668892)   #294
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
And how do the costs compare, as well as the potential ROI?
Depends on how Nismo look at it:

ROI- Sales in the markets

Aust Market: % of new car sales
There is a lot Nissans in the drift series along the east coast, but they are older models .
Nissan campaigns the Ultima in Supercars, does it sell enough to promote Nissan to the general public ?
Will running in GT series here and in NZ improve sales ???????

Versus:
Asian and European markets ?

ROI - is always a tricky subject to get an answer to from manufacturers,
normally it comes back to sales
Old 1 Sep 2016, 21:36 (Ref:3669036)   #295
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Lights turned out on night race in NT

VASC certainly cant take a trick with some of these big announcements, another one disappearing into the ether.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 23:27 (Ref:3669058)   #296
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Lights turned out on night race in NT

VASC certainly cant take a trick with some of these big announcements, another one disappearing into the ether.

That's a massive shame. I remember the night racing at Calder and that was a great spectacle so to do the same thing at Hidden Valley would be even better.
Old 2 Sep 2016, 00:56 (Ref:3669079)   #297
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the Kelly Gang to race Altima's no matter the decision from Nissan. Wise move I would suggest
Old 2 Sep 2016, 01:46 (Ref:3669090)   #298
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
So the Kelly Gang to race Altima's no matter the decision from Nissan. Wise move I would suggest
Is that a precursor to a No?
Old 2 Sep 2016, 01:52 (Ref:3669092)   #299
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Story Here

Seems an odd confirmation in the world.. I got that we speculated it here.. its entirely another to share about it officially

You would wonder if Nissan Japan would read this story & figure that the Nissan program would continue anyway, without having to financially back it..
Old 2 Sep 2016, 02:01 (Ref:3669098)   #300
Umai Naa
Veteran

Even if they did get night racing sorted, they'd just put it up against another night event like Parramatta Speedway, or one of the footy codes, and negate whatever gain they might've had from it.