Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Oct 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3777556)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hartley impressed even more in Mexico, shame the engine let him down. And Gasly didn't exactly get a clean run did he?
Old 11 Nov 2017, 18:30 (Ref:3779939)   #102
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Outqualified Lewis Hamilton....
Old 11 Nov 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3779961)   #103
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and Gasly Still drops 3 places with all the penalties though. Sounds like the replaced parts they're getting from Renault aren't even new, so no wonder nothing can last.

Sainz will be laughing his ass off getting out of that team right before it turned to custard with all the parts used up. That 4th from Sainz at Singapore seems a long time ago now.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3780031)   #104
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hartley's really being hampered by these grid penalties. The sooner the FIA remove these penalties the better
Old 12 Nov 2017, 22:10 (Ref:3780100)   #105
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hartley might as well not even bother to show up for Abu Dhabi. Renault won't give them any new parts because apparently you can't manufacture them inside 2 weeks. Surely they could have done this a month ago but anyway, I think it's pretty clear Renault are trying to beat them in the constructors. FIA should hold them accountable. Fortunately Hulk only got a single point so Renault will need to have a pretty good finale to catch them. I hope it backfires.

Poor old Hartley another DNF. He had an okay start but had to dodge someone on the grid and then played it a bit safe into turn one so Gasly got by and also put a Sauber between them. Then Hartley's nemesis Stroll passes him on the straight meaning Hartley gets to sit behind Stroll for the entire race again. Admittedly he was never really close enough to attack and Stroll was slowly catching Gasly. They both were in the first stint after Gasly had built a bit of gap while Stroll/Hartley battled past Ericsson and Lew lew cost them time.

Then Stroll and Hartley pitted to put the softs on, Gasly later on the super softs. He was on track to be behind Hartley, but the kiwi lost quite a bit of time letting the leaders through which would have made it close. But in the end didn't matter, Hartley went out, Gasly was fast on the softer rubber and would have passed Hartley. He did pass Stroll and Wehrlein. I think the faster strategy was doing the longer first stint then having the softer tyres on low fuel so Hartley was always on the slower strategy. Hamilton showed how much better it was.

So I wouldn't say an improved performance from Hartley. Gasly was marginally better today, and he doesn't know the track, Hartley does. But you never know what the settings are, they might have been nursing Hartley's car.

I'm actually not minding that they're moving to Honda next year now! The parts on the TR's are going to catch up to the unreliability of the McLaren Honda's at this rate, because I'm sure the #28 will have more problems at Abu Dhabi.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 08:14 (Ref:3780155)   #106
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Veggie

Sadly its turned into a bit of a patsy drive for poor Hartley.
Dodgy frog engine,no doubt their revenge for the Rainbow Warrior.
He may as well borrow my tractor for the next race,at least it would get to the finish,and if he was towing the muck spreader he would be hard to pass...
Old 13 Nov 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3780220)   #107
S griffin
Veteran

Hartley's had so much bad luck since he entered F1. Hopefully Abu Dhabi he can finally have a clean run all weekend and show everyone what he can do
Old 16 Nov 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3780809)   #108
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Full time drive for 2018...
Old 17 Nov 2017, 05:13 (Ref:3780890)   #109
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hartley's had so much bad luck since he entered F1. Hopefully Abu Dhabi he can finally have a clean run all weekend and show everyone what he can do
I guess that depends on how close Renault is in the points
Old 17 Nov 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3780917)   #110
S griffin
Veteran

And now he's got a full season's chance. Good luck Brendon
Old 17 Nov 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3780922)   #111
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
His first few races this season involving engine problems and grid penalties will be good practice for next year.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3782601)   #112
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Four races, four grid penalties. Just can't catch a break.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3782624)   #113
S griffin
Veteran

I just want to wish my best to the team and the drivers who deserve to be more competitive next season
Old 24 Nov 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3782661)   #114
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
My tractor is still available....it will do better in the race than the current bucket of bolts..
Old 24 Nov 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3782670)   #115
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Four races, four grid penalties. Just can't catch a break.
Just too stupid for words..... They have just got to do something about this next season or risk the 'pinnacle' of motor racing become a laughing stock.....
Old 24 Nov 2017, 19:47 (Ref:3782685)   #116
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree, It wasn’t a good idea.

However the reason it was introduced was because they needed a meaningful penalty so that you don’t need a new engine for every GP or session. I seem to remember everyone thought that was ridiculous and made motor racing look like a laughing stock. Is it too late to stop listening to fans?

We’ve got a grid that is more competitive in terms of times than when F1 was good. More parity in engines than when it was good. No tyre war. Quality drivers everywhere. More GP. More coverage than ever.

Can we go back to when it was barely on telly, it was a niche sport and there was massive inequality again please. I’m serious, albeit while being silly, it was better then.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3782687)   #117
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Still. I hope he has a good race. Get a few more F1 miles under his belt. It’s good he’s had a few races before his “rookie” year, even with the penalties.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 19:50 (Ref:3782688)   #118
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You, being silly Adam, now there's a first.....

The reasoning behind the penalties was of course wholly financially based but you must agree that it has now sunk to the depths of absurdity. If nothing else it needs to be modified in some way, surely?
Old 24 Nov 2017, 19:57 (Ref:3782689)   #119
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

I don’t disagree that detracts. I certainly wouldn’t have them if it was up to me.

My only annoyance is the ignorance of why we have them. There was another absurdity that, apparently, needed addressing. I’m not absolving those who introduced this, or saying F1 is perfect (definitely not). I just tire of the simplistic slagging it off with no context of why we got here or barest hint of a suggestion of a decent alternative.

I don’t have the solution, but my approach is that I refrain from some of the dramatics we see. I see it’s difficult. My preference is more for going back to the old way with ithe old negatives.

We didn’t have it. F1 was absurd. We introduced it and there was an unintended consequence. F1 is absurd. I suggest we just give up and watch golf.
Old 24 Nov 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3782694)   #120
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There is that possibility. Instead of qualifying, the drivers could do a couple of rounds on the infield to set their grid positions. No stress on engines and components then..... There you go - a decent alternative with no absurdity involved at all......
Old 24 Nov 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3782697)   #121
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
There is that possibility. Instead of qualifying, the drivers could do a couple of rounds on the infield to set their grid positions. No stress on engines and components then..... There you go - a decent alternative with no absurdity involved at all......
It would bring Nigel Mansell out of retirement too
Old 24 Nov 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3782699)   #122
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I’m for it. It’s not as stupid as suggesting double points isn’t the final round.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3782925)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

Well it seems the penalty had no effect on Hartley. Toro Rosso are struggling this weekend, have they turned down the engine?
Old 25 Nov 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3782934)   #124
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well it seems the penalty had no effect on Hartley. Toro Rosso are struggling this weekend, have they turned down the engine?
sure, and engine downgrades seem to suit gasly's driving style more

seriously tho, i dont see how hartley did anything to deserve more than a one-off (sort of like lotterer's one off with caterham froma while back), and it completely puzzles me how he has landed a full time drive for 2018... will be out by hungary is my feeling.
Old 25 Nov 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3782943)   #125
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Kvyat could actually have given them a much better chance to beat Renault and Haas. Nice guy, matured a lot but done very little I can see.