Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Nov 2017, 22:59 (Ref:3779329)   #101
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Hamilton’s season: in his own words.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...-his-own-words
Old 7 Nov 2017, 23:11 (Ref:3779331)   #102
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hamilton acquitted himself well. He was impressive. I would expect the team to subtly calibrate the car to his needs simply because he's more meshed with the team and the better bet. If so, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I still think Hamilton is a step better in raw talent than either Bottas and Rosberg.

I don't think Hamilton is Senna or Jim Clark in raw talent though but he's a very worthy champion nevertheless.

As for this taxloophole business. It's a hefty vice and it's probably not a bad thing that he's being hazed over it. But it doesn't really alter my perceptions of him either. It's intuitive when you acquire big money to have a squad of tax/financers advisors on hand promisin' you can save a bag of cash if you do X, Y and Z. Most people who get wealthy won't say no to that.
Old 7 Nov 2017, 23:32 (Ref:3779337)   #103
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1Guy, I really don't know, I just put some ideas out there to get away from the turgid subject of tax

Against all the odds this year has been a bit of fun. There were times when we actually couldn't guess who was going to win as the cars went to the grid. Let's rejoice, enjoy the last two races with no pressure, and look forward to intense competition again next year.

I care about sport not the personalities. I'm here because I love the cars and the engineering I couldn't give a rat's about the drivers. Honestly. I've got enough problems with my own life without worrying about the colour of their tattoos.

Well done Lewis, bad luck Seb, here's to great racing again in 2018.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Nov 2017, 23:35 (Ref:3779338)   #104
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
PS actually if you read the Motor Sport article it's all because of shove dampers or something that the Merc was designed around and were banned during the first test. Well worth reading the article, not sure I understood it but I suppose that's why I'm not an F1 engineer

Old 8 Nov 2017, 01:50 (Ref:3779356)   #105
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I think Lewis Hamilton drove very well to become world champion against strong opposition. Those who say he had the best car ignore the fact that so did Valtteri Bottas.

Most WDCs have the best car, they work very hard to get it. Fangio frequently jumped ship. Clark really let rip at Indy with the Lotus. Andretti had the 79 and a better (to my mind) but honourable #2.

So it proves nothing - and actually to read Motor Sport this month is to learn that the Merc is not necessarily the best car of 2017. "A bit of a diva indeed".

Motor Sport is heavily subsidized by Mercedes, and Mercedes has a huge interest in maintaining its competitive advantage, so I think that we should view anything that Motor Sport has to say in this matter with a good deal of circumspection.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 02:11 (Ref:3779366)   #106
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It all makes sense now.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 02:17 (Ref:3779369)   #107
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
But..., no. I read on the forum that "the car was designed more with Hamilton in mind", with a narrow operating window that suited Hamilton's driving style more. Are you saying this is not the case?

I'm curious to know why Mercedes would deliberately build an inferior car with a very narrow operating window, and then it to suite Hamilton? If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the 2017 car mostly designed and built in 2016, when Nico Rosberg was #1 at Mercedes? Did Mercedes know Rosberg was going to quit when the 2017 car was being designed and built, and so deliberately chose to build an inferior car with a narrow operating window, and around Hamilton's driving style?? Hmmm....

Are you saying Motor Sport magazine thinks the Merc wasn't the best car of 2017?
Sorry, but... no. I'm afraid "the rest of the forum" does not agree with that.

Sheesh... next thing you know, someone is going to say Hamilton is a far better driver than Vettel!!
Did you not miss the comment on not constantly trying to prove people wrong on the internet? And before it gets pointed out that I'm doing the same, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any points in the above post.

Merely pointing out your posting style has stunk up this forum since you joined. Let it go.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 03:11 (Ref:3779374)   #108
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Merely pointing out your posting style has stunk up this forum since you joined. Let it go.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 06:54 (Ref:3779399)   #109
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Motor Sport is heavily subsidized by Mercedes, and Mercedes has a huge interest in maintaining its competitive advantage, so I think that we should view anything that Motor Sport has to say in this matter with a good deal of circumspection.
I didn't realise that. I've always viewed what they say as independent in the manner of Jenks, truly the world has become a poor place if even MS can't be relied on. Such a shame.

Old 8 Nov 2017, 07:21 (Ref:3779402)   #110
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
But..., no. I read on the forum that "the car was designed more with Hamilton in mind", with a narrow operating window that suited Hamilton's driving style more. Are you saying this is not the case?

Are you saying Motor Sport magazine thinks the Merc wasn't the best car of 2017?
Sorry, but... no. I'm afraid "the rest of the forum" does not agree with that.
Are you deliberately attempting to position yourself as a lone voice of knowledge against the majority?

Your description of what is linked is at odds with what is actually said, and claiming that those are the words of the entire forum puts yourself as one who holds the same view (unless you don't see yourself as part of the forum?).

The view that the car was designed to meet Hamilton's style was merely a suggestion by a member - one that doesn't seem unreasonable as they likely took into consideration the styles of both LH and NR during design, but VB was not part of the equation at the time.

IIRC, you were one of those (and you were not alone) who also considered the Mercedes to be inferior to the Ferrari. Some other members merely put forward points for discussion to the contrary.

It is entirely possible that some people will hold differing opinions - and that is entirely necessary for good discussion. Some people will back up their points with evidence, others will admit that they are unsubstantiated thoughts and opinions. What irritates is when people are queried over the justification for points they make, or are presented with an alternative position, for them to resort to a stance where they portray themselves as a victim and respond with childish or obtuse retaliation.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3779654)   #111
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've always thought it completely outrageous to have members of a discussion forum postulating different opinions. What IS the world coming to.......

Time to move on and source some more opinions.......
Old 9 Nov 2017, 19:03 (Ref:3779658)   #112
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IMHO you are completely if not entirely incorrect. Or not as the case may be.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3779668)   #113
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You may be right........ But I fully support your right to be wrong.........
Old 9 Nov 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3779682)   #114
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's all try to remember that we can all express opinions, without coming over as overly-opinionated. It's clear that Hamilton polarises opinion, be it for his manner and for debate over his accomplishments, but the tone of this thread has descended rather poorly. Far be it from me to suggest that it be filled with only congratulations, but we have to sustain this with more calm and constructive comments to avoid it going the way of the other Lewis thread, which would be a pity.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 21:35 (Ref:3779687)   #115
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 9 Nov 2017, 22:46 (Ref:3779701)   #116
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I think we can all generally agree Hamilton is a damn good driver, regardless of how much his personality does or doesn't grate us.

Rabid fan comments on places like the BBC and Twitter (excluding this wonderful forum) certainly do not help his cause, they sometimes feel as if they are on some sort of moral crusade to defend his honour at every turn.

Having said that, reading comments on most social media posts usually is a bad move!
Old 10 Nov 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3779785)   #117
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Rabid fan comments on places like the BBC and Twitter (excluding this wonderful forum) certainly do not help his cause, they sometimes feel as if they are on some sort of moral crusade to defend his honour at every turn.
And to add balance to your comment, hammy haterz can be just as bad and fuel the fire, usually through mis information, mis quotes, complete denial of his talent and general hatred of Lewis for what ever reason (sorry do I sound like a rabid fan :-p)

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 10 Nov 2017 at 14:57.
Old 10 Nov 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3779790)   #118
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I've been accused of both!

Let's just get on with the discussion. Rise above those that drag the forum down. And remember there is the ignore function in your control panel if you need
Old 10 Nov 2017, 15:28 (Ref:3779791)   #119
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Rise above

Still I Rise? 😋
Old 10 Nov 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3779816)   #120
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I've been accused of both!

Let's just get on with the discussion. Rise above those that drag the forum down. And remember there is the ignore function in your control panel if you need
Did somebody say something?
Old 10 Nov 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3779818)   #121
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Old 10 Nov 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3779832)   #122
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Attached Thumbnails
2696507.bmp  
Old 12 Nov 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3780074)   #123
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well if anyone thinks he can't drive they were corrected this weekend. I haven't heard any interviews etc. as I was watching in Albania but I don't recall a performance as good as that for many years. By way of comparison I'd be thinking of Fangio at the Nurburgring 1957.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 21:04 (Ref:3780086)   #124
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well if anyone thinks he can't drive they were corrected this weekend. I haven't heard any interviews etc. as I was watching in Albania but I don't recall a performance as good as that for many years. By way of comparison I'd be thinking of Fangio at the Nurburgring 1957.

Max in the wet last year at this very track.

Lewis drove a good race, but i think is overstating it in my opinion. He had the quickest car on a dry track, a fresh power unit dialed all the way up, and Mercedes made setup and aero changes specifically for the high track temp since he started from pitlane. There really isn't anyone he should have struggled to pass outside of the Ferrari. And he never passed a Ferrari today.

A clean and tidy job passing cars that he was expected to pass nonetheless. The concentration, determination and relentless pace were on display today, but nothing we have not seen before from him whether he starts from pole and drives away from everyone or passes cars that he's up to 2 seconds a lap quicker than.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3780188)   #125
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Agreed. He's still a tit.
There may be those who'd say the same about you. Lewis, for example.

He's a breath of fresh air – honest, courteous and utterly straightforward. So he has a big red airliner and a somewhat sudden taste in clothing; well that's fine by me – particularly when I compare him with some today's Premier League drongos.

And a great driver? Of course he is – up there with the crême de la crême. We should cherish him, and worry more about where the next great British driver is going to come from. Because Lulu will leave a very big gap in the scenery when he finally does hang up his helmet.

He's now the best driver ever to come out of the UK, and a warm word or two of congratulations from Stewart wouldn't have come amiss. Or did I miss it?