Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Aug 2016, 15:56 (Ref:3666165)   #3726
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
no ones gonna run it still
Old 17 Aug 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3666166)   #3727
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
no ones gonna run it still
But it does go well in conjunction with this....

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13321...n-the-pipeline

L.P.
Old 17 Aug 2016, 16:05 (Ref:3666167)   #3728
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst kept secret is right lol. It does mention AMG DPi project has been abandoned 😔
Old 18 Aug 2016, 13:11 (Ref:3666341)   #3729
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
But it does go well in conjunction with this....

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13321...n-the-pipeline

L.P.
Don't understand the connection you're implying. Aren't DPis supposed to be based on one of the approved WEC P2 constructors only? I.e., AFAIUI, the HPD does not qualify as a basis for a DPi. That leaves them slapping their engine into a(nother) P2 chassis, and use the ARX 04b's bodywork as their manufacturer styled body on a foreign chassis, no?
Old 18 Aug 2016, 13:21 (Ref:3666343)   #3730
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Correct, HPD is not one of the 4 approved chassis constructors for 2018* and beyond.

(*their current car is grandfathered in for 2017 only but at current performance levels, supposed to be inferior to that of the 2017 cars.)

Unless IMSA changes its mind of course.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 13:34 (Ref:3666345)   #3731
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't mind gutting out the bodywork and stick it in either a OAK chassis tub or an Oreca one. Still, it's not a good option if you're a privateer.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 15:28 (Ref:3666369)   #3732
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Don't understand the connection you're implying. Aren't DPis supposed to be based on one of the approved WEC P2 constructors only? I.e., AFAIUI, the HPD does not qualify as a basis for a DPi. That leaves them slapping their engine into a(nother) P2 chassis, and use the ARX 04b's bodywork as their manufacturer styled body on a foreign chassis, no?
Yes, in '18. That gives them all year to tweak on aero and engine, a mule if you will. If they are one of the 4 engines currently in the pipeline for DPi then it will be legal in the ARX 04B as it will be a homologated IMSA engine. I suspect that Onroak would be their constructor of choice to pair with in '18 for a DPi.

"Q. What cars are eligible in the 2017 WeatherTech Championship Prototype class? A. DPi cars, 2017 LM P2 cars and closed-cockpit 2016 LM P2 cars with IMSA-homologated engines will be eligible. After the 2017 season, 2016 LM P2 cars no longer will be eligible."

http://sportscarchampionship.imsa.co...al-dpi-concept

L.P.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 15:31 (Ref:3666370)   #3733
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I wouldn't mind gutting out the bodywork and stick it in either a OAK chassis tub or an Oreca one. Still, it's not a good option if you're a privateer.
I think it might be an excellent option for Shank as a 'werks' test mule team in '17, to set them up as a 'blessed' HPD team for '18. If HPD is truly on the DPi path.

L.P.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 15:36 (Ref:3666371)   #3734
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yes, in '18. That gives them all year to tweak on aero and engine, a mule if you will. If they are one of the 4 engines currently in the pipeline for DPi then it will be legal in the ARX 04B as it will be a homologated IMSA engine. I suspect that Onroak would be their constructor of choice to pair with in '18 for a DPi.

"Q. What cars are eligible in the 2017 WeatherTech Championship Prototype class? A. DPi cars, 2017 LM P2 cars and closed-cockpit 2016 LM P2 cars with IMSA-homologated engines will be eligible. After the 2017 season, 2016 LM P2 cars no longer will be eligible."

http://sportscarchampionship.imsa.co...al-dpi-concept

L.P.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Leaves me with the question whether the ARX04b is considered a "2016" car, given it's really a 2014/2015 car. But it is/was legal for 2016, so one might say, it is a "2016" car.
Old 18 Aug 2016, 15:42 (Ref:3666373)   #3735
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Whatever you say about the ARX-04, it's protracted development killed it and no one's gonna run it next year unless they're desperate, since, IMSA rule changes aside, it'll be obsolete by the end of next season. And if IMSA keeps on their path of not BOP'ing the older cars to be fully competitive with the newer ones, it'll already be pretty much obsolete from a performance stand point.

HPD will more than likely have to partner with one of the four currently approved LMP2 makers, and probably carry over the current IMSA prototype engine, or the engine from the NSX GT3.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 01:43 (Ref:3666476)   #3736
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I cannot wrap my head around the lack of a NSX GTE. Honda fumbling about with in indycar, lmp. Why aren't they paying more attention to GTE. Look at the Ford.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 04:50 (Ref:3666495)   #3737
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@Articus
I feel your pain, but it can't be helped! Heck, I want the NSX race in GTE Class by reworking either the existing GT500 or yet-to-be-released GT3 car.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3666608)   #3738
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
@Articus
I feel your pain, but it can't be helped! Heck, I want the NSX race in GTE Class by reworking either the existing GT500 or yet-to-be-released GT3 car.
lol what.

that cant happen
Old 19 Aug 2016, 16:47 (Ref:3666609)   #3739
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Honda probably want to make some money so they did a gt3.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3667193)   #3740
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't see the NSX GT3 being a big seller at this point, unless of course they make it quite cheap and offer plenty of support. The PWC/IMSA effort/efforts are sounding like it/they will be factory-supported, and surely a few will go to SuperGT, but outside of that I don't see it being a big hit.

There are just too many proven packages from more prestigious manufacturers that are capable of offering drivers and support.

The Viper was a capable car, built by a well-known constructor with factory support, and was a follow-up to the popular Competition Coupe (that had good longevity), but that didn't help it sell.

Not sure what advantage the NSX would have over any other choice... Speed will just be equalized with the BoP, amateur drivers already have several comfortable and confidence-inspiring cars to choose from, Honda won't be able to match the setup book of the bigger GT3 sellers, and they don't have a stable of factory drivers built up to offer to teams. Not sure what their parts supply situation in Europe is either, which is the biggest market for GT3 cars.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like most teams care about setting themselves apart from the rather same-y GT3 grids we see everywhere by choosing a less common car. I really expected a few more of the Vipers to sell to teams looking to not just be yet another 458/R8/SLS/Z4. It makes sense in some cases, I mean I guess most wealthy businessmen paying for a seat would rather say they race a Ferrari or gull-wing Mercedes than a Viper or Reiter Camaro or Callaway Corvette or whatever, and most of the pro-driven cars are factory backed which the Viper/Chev/etc wouldn't have.

Anyway, to make a game out of it, I'll predict 2 for PWC, 1 for IMSA (2 if they are serious about it though), 3 to SuperGT, 2 to other Asian teams (1 of which will only run at club level), and 1 to Australia.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 04:10 (Ref:3667310)   #3741
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Honda will be able to sell it if there's interest, good backing and if the car performs well. I think at least 2 will be in Super GT, two in PWC, maybe a car in IMSA and from there we'll see what happens.
Old 24 Aug 2016, 05:41 (Ref:3667317)   #3742
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only problem for Honda/Acura is how many NSX GT3s they can sell. The GT3 arena is a lot more crowded with quality cars than it was even a few years ago. But teams that have been loyal to/interested in Honda in the past will probably snap them up. That also includes teams in Europe, not just North America and Japan.
Old 28 Aug 2016, 03:48 (Ref:3667962)   #3743
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I think that any NSX in Australia will depend on Honda Aus and I'm not convinced they'll come to the party. Maybe if they want a halo car to take on the Nissan GT-R but I'm not very confident that'll be enough.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 08:51 (Ref:3668349)   #3744
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I think that any NSX in Australia will depend on Honda Aus and I'm not convinced they'll come to the party. Maybe if they want a halo car to take on the Nissan GT-R but I'm not very confident that'll be enough.
Well I can't usually follow Australian GT races directly so I maybe wrong on this, but what little I have seen/read it seems there are a few there that actually value grabbing something different (Reiter Camaros, that one Callaway Corvette that Murph co-drove a few times, Ford GT) and the Quinns seemed to like grabbing the "hot new" GT3 car a few times, so I saw a possibility for one to go to a private team that wanted to be different.