Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Sep 2016, 22:03 (Ref:3674197)   #926
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Do you remember Alonso's crash earlier this year? The McLaren was totally destroyed, bits everywhere, but Fernando walked away. Magnusson at Spa, a colossal impact - a few bruises.

That is what I mean by 'not dangerous'. Probably neither would have survived 10 - 20years ago. If anyone disputes that, being able to suffer such incidents and not get hurt, means F1 is not particularly dangerous. Then they have a whole different idea of danger to me. Bianchi died in a freak accident due to the recovery vehicle being where it would not be while the race was running normally. To use this as an example of the danger of F1 is really not sensible.
Bob,

Surely these examples prove that the act of motorsport is still dangerous as there were "destroyed" cars in "colossal" impacts that were potentially life threatening. However what has changed is that lessons from the past have been learned and safety measures included in the designs of the cars and circuits to reduce the effect of the accident on the most vulnerable part of the car - the soft squishy object holding the wheel. Thus making the accidents survivable at much higher speeds than the 50s or 60s cars could manage.

Motorsport IS dangerous but thankfully not normally deadly these days.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 11:49 (Ref:3674226)   #927
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
There's an article in this month's F1 Racing in which JYS describes his Spa crash in 66 and in it he says it wasn't the danger but the unnecessary danger and the fact the medical facilities were farcical. He also says they will always be a fatality so that's why we must keep striving to make it safer
Old 23 Sep 2016, 01:20 (Ref:3674419)   #928
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
This article from Autosport gives a chronology of the safety improvements in F1 from 1963 - 1999 which is very interesting.

http://atlasf1.autosport.com/news/safety.html

Close racing seemed o get destroyed in 1998 with the advent of the narrow cars, the accidents in races dropped from 382 to 60!
Indicating to me that the cars were no longer close to one another?

Last edited by wnut; 23 Sep 2016 at 01:43.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 01:54 (Ref:3674433)   #929
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Plus paved run-offs.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 22:43 (Ref:3695979)   #930
wnut
Veteran

Has anybody seen any developments on cockpit protection, or is the FIA simply waiting for the date to include cockpit protection in the 2018 regulations to pass?
Old 13 Dec 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3695986)   #931
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is probably a brief hiatus whilst the teams concentrate on the new cars, once they are built with the new wider bits. They will no doubt start asking the teams to think more about it again for these new cars running.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 01:31 (Ref:3696004)   #932
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the cockpit halo being defferred for a year till 2018?
http://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/dr...oduction-halo/
Old 14 Dec 2016, 02:05 (Ref:3696010)   #933
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think official word was that studies would continue before a final decision on whether to mandate them for 2018 would be made during second half of the 2017 season.
I don't think anything had been set in stone.
Old 5 Feb 2017, 15:12 (Ref:3710144)   #934
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to this article: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35702.html the drivers have narrowly voted against the introduction of the halo for 2018, and that the FIA may be relenting; I mean, they have already allowed the mandatory use of the new safety structure, whatever that might be, to slip from 2017. So it's not quite as urgent as it once was!
Old 5 Feb 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3710153)   #935
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
According to this article: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35702.html the drivers have narrowly voted against the introduction of the halo for 2018, and that the FIA may be relenting; I mean, they have already allowed the mandatory use of the new safety structure, whatever that might be, to slip from 2017. So it's not quite as urgent as it once was!
Seven against, five for and four abstaining... that is quit the mandate! . They absolutely need feedback from the drivers, but that should be just one part of the decision making process. It's hard to tell from that article how they are going about making decisions. I have mixed feelings about safety decisions using democratic methods.

Richard
Old 5 Feb 2017, 15:37 (Ref:3710154)   #936
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The canopies and halo designs are in my opinion, not mature enough. A canopy integrated into the aero flow of the car seems like it would work better in every case aesthetically and with 360° safety considered not just forward and glancing blows, unfortunately the LMP solutions may come our way, but being one pilot intended it would be narrowed and look much better.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 5 Feb 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3710156)   #937
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm glad no halo, the screen seems a better solution to me
Old 6 Feb 2017, 00:01 (Ref:3710288)   #938
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If we are going to scrap the halo then I would prefer a fighter style canopy ..
Old 6 Feb 2017, 00:13 (Ref:3710292)   #939
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
The canopies and halo designs are in my opinion, not mature enough. A canopy integrated into the aero flow of the car seems like it would work better in every case aesthetically and with 360° safety considered not just forward and glancing blows, unfortunately the LMP solutions may come our way, but being one pilot intended it would be narrowed and look much better.

I tend to agree. How much testing has been done with either concepts, apart from the occasional appearance of mainly the Halo in practice sessions?
Old 6 Feb 2017, 02:27 (Ref:3710334)   #940
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I've said it before, If the canopy solution is going to be very expensive for teams to design themselves. Then A common tub / safety cell which is designed from there ground up to have a canopy, rather than just trying to Add safety bits to existing cars.
The tub can then be bolted onto the teams own chassis, together with body panels and aero.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 02:30 (Ref:3710338)   #941
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I've said it before, If the canopy solution is going to be very expensive for teams to design themselves. Then A common tub / safety cell which is designed from there ground up to have a canopy, rather than just trying to Add safety bits to existing cars.
The tub can then be bolted onto the teams own chassis, together with body panels and aero.
No team is going to agree on a common tub, especially Ferrari.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 06:01 (Ref:3710369)   #942
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No team is going to agree on a common tub, especially Ferrari.
It doesn't need to be a complete tub just a standard shaped cockpit surround/opening with regulated mounting points an approved canopy can be attached to.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3710495)   #943
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
It doesn't need to be a complete tub just a standard shaped cockpit surround/opening with regulated mounting points an approved canopy can be attached to.
Yep, have the FIA mandate and hand out the mandatory windcreen and surround, and have the teams incorporate that into their chassis.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3711859)   #944
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
probably very little can be inferred from these images of SRT's concept design of the 2018 Formula E cars...but full canopy!

obviously a huge difference between a rendering of a concept and reality but aesthetically it works really well imo.

http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/...images-873123/

Old 13 Feb 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3711882)   #945
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All I can say is that's double ugly! And that's being polite so as not to offend the auto-sensor.
Old 13 Feb 2017, 21:08 (Ref:3711906)   #946
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
probably very little can be inferred from these images of SRT's concept design of the 2018 Formula E cars...but full canopy!

obviously a huge difference between a rendering of a concept and reality but aesthetically it works really well imo.

http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/...images-873123/

Sorry, it just can't happen. This forum has been VERY clear that closed top single seater formula cars just can't exist! They are too expensive, impractical and dangerous!

Seriously, the cockpit looks interesting. But as best as I can tell they show renderings of two versions. One being a fully closed cockpit and the other being an open top but with large windscreen. The article talks to the windscreen version. So maybe they are considering both options and will pick one. Regardless... In many ways it looks light years ahead of F1. It may just steal the thunder that F1 could have owned. Will F1 be the leader or follower on this? So far they seem to be allowing others to lead.

But, when people talk about wanting beautiful cars, they have to remember the only way to do it IMHO is to have spec cars (such as Formula E). Spec cars can be whatever you want them to be, good aero, bad aero, no aero, who cares! Everyone has to deal with the same problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
All I can say is that's double ugly! And that's being polite so as not to offend the auto-sensor.
To each his own. I think it is generally a step in the right direction style wise. I do have mixed feelings about the covered wheels, but I know why the did it (efficiency). For many here, that is going too far.

Richard
Old 16 Feb 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3712673)   #947
wnut
Veteran

Pretty well a straight crib of the Red Bull x1-a!

Thank you Adrian Newey!
Old 16 Feb 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3712676)   #948
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Pretty well a straight crib of the Red Bull x1-a!

Thank you Adrian Newey!
I thought the same.

Richard
Old 17 Feb 2017, 14:19 (Ref:3712862)   #949
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England

Old 17 Feb 2017, 14:46 (Ref:3712869)   #950
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are not too many solutions for the same question, and Adrian did keep the wing width narrow per rules that existed I recall reading, Indy car has a better platform to mandate this and carry it out as a real field test in much worse conditions- traffic filled ovals, than f1.