Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Sep 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2958794)   #1
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hyundai V8

I heard a whisper on the grapevine that someone in Queensland is working on building a Hyundai V8. Could it be for COTF?

Anyone know anything?
Old 20 Sep 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2958806)   #2
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not some weird Drag Racing car is it??
Old 20 Sep 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2958813)   #3
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or the Excel-based Sports Sedan???

That said, I came across this http://carjake.com/kia-gt-concept-is...ture-rwd-sedan which points to Hyundai potentially having a RWD car in their line up in the near future.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2958815)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i assume you mean a hyundai v8 motor, and anot a car?
Old 20 Sep 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2958839)   #5
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all depends on whether the whisperer was Tony Cochrane or someone from News Limited...
Old 21 Sep 2011, 01:49 (Ref:2958875)   #6
Tony C
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
Tony C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Or the Excel-based Sports Sedan???

That said, I came across this http://carjake.com/kia-gt-concept-is...ture-rwd-sedan which points to Hyundai potentially having a RWD car in their line up in the near future.
The Genesis is already rear wheel drive.... and V8..... mmmm

Sounds like a V8 supercar....
Looks like a V8 supercar...
.... but does that make it a V8 supercar?

Maybe Tony Cochran should have a talk to Hyundai... or maybe he has?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 01:52 (Ref:2958876)   #7
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
Just as much as anything else out there.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2958878)   #8
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps it is Paul Pickett, last heard of in the NT, and we all know it is just a short hop, skip & parcel delivery from Qld ?

Don't dismiss it, the guy was a sucessful Hyuandai Racer, and Team owner of days gone by.

Come back Paul all is forgiven, perhaps a sponsorship deal to rival Pepsi might be in the offering.

Things go better with Coke (except Richard Buttrose)
Old 21 Sep 2011, 02:33 (Ref:2958880)   #9
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
Perhaps it is Paul Pickett, last heard of in the NT, and we all know it is just a short hop, skip & parcel delivery from Qld ?

Don't dismiss it, the guy was a sucessful Hyuandai Racer, and Team owner of days gone by.
Sucessful, that's like saying Malcom Rea can prepare a car for a race meeting on time

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 21 Sep 2011, 02:54 (Ref:2958885)   #10
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Aren't overhead quad cam engines banned?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 03:24 (Ref:2958891)   #11
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Aren't overhead quad cam engines banned?
I believe engines under COTF are up for grabs as long as they have the correct number of cylinders and configuration that the series name suggests.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 03:30 (Ref:2958892)   #12
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Sucessful, that's like saying Malcom Rea can prepare a car for a race meeting on time
mtpanorama, IIRC: Paul was THE most sucessful Hyundai racer in 2.0 lt Touring Cars......
That must make him sucessful
Old 21 Sep 2011, 05:39 (Ref:2958906)   #13
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a conspiracy theory for you - the Kiwi V8 Supertourers chassis' are being built in Q'Land........and their Facebook page says that they are 'working hard on a 3rd manufacturer' ??????
Old 21 Sep 2011, 06:48 (Ref:2958917)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwebbers View Post
I believe engines under COTF are up for grabs as long as they have the correct number of cylinders and configuration that the series name suggests.
There has been much discussion behind closed doors of an equivalency formula where a manufacturer doesnt have a 5 litre 2 valve ohv engine in their portfolio.

Here's hoping it never comes to that, that there isnt a 4L DOHC engine competing with the existing models... because one side or other will be better, and the other will bleat and moan for an adjustment...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Sep 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2958942)   #15
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There has been much discussion behind closed doors of an equivalency formula where a manufacturer doesnt have a 5 litre 2 valve ohv engine in their portfolio.

Here's hoping it never comes to that, that there isnt a 4L DOHC engine competing with the existing models... because one side or other will be better, and the other will bleat and moan for an adjustment...
GTR, it would possibly be more likely that one would prevail on certain types of tracks and the other on different tracks.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2958955)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
GTR, it would possibly be more likely that one would prevail on certain types of tracks and the other on different tracks.
But then you wander into the realms of rev adjustments, of air restrictors and the like, possibly even between rounds... and end up in a total bunfight...

Kinda like the old AusGT...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Sep 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2959020)   #17
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But then you wander into the realms of rev adjustments, of air restrictors and the like, possibly even between rounds... and end up in a total bunfight...
Or perhaps Ford and Holden switch to DOHC engines too? What do they have in the corporate stable?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2959084)   #18
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if it's a V8Supercar, all the talk about a third, multiple manufacturer/s being "interested" in V8Supercars has gone on for so long without coming to realisation that if a third "manufacturer" does join, it'd be an anti-climax.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2959107)   #19
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

This (based on the Genesis) was developed a few years ago:

As far as I'm aware, the chassis doesn't conform to any particular technical specifications/regulations - I think it was primarily used for drifting (If someone knows better, feel free to correct). I know very little regarding CoTF regulations but, I'm guessing this wouldn't be a terrible platform from which to create an eligible package (exempting the fact this model is a coupe).

If nothing else, it serves to prove that Hyundai could have a stronger sporting image. Providing they were willing.

Edit: The commercial (circa 2009 - filmed at Road Atlanta) even suggests there were sporting aspirations in mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGjQ__10Vzs

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 21 Sep 2011 at 15:04.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2959239)   #20
Racenut
Racer

Australia
The story I heard was that it was car and engine, both from Hyundai for circuit racing (not sport sedan). Will try and find more. I think it would be good for the sport if Hyundai got into V8SC but would they sell more cars as a result?

As for the debate of 2 or 4 valve I dont believe it is an issue because at 7500 rpm limit there is no advantage to 4 valve in V8SC.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2959306)   #21
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

So tell 'em they all have to use Hyundai V8's, problem sorted. Gee that was easy wasn't it.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2959312)   #22
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can you get a Hyundai taxi when you call 131 888??
Old 21 Sep 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2959327)   #23
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racenut View Post
As for the debate of 2 or 4 valve I dont believe it is an issue because at 7500 rpm limit there is no advantage to 4 valve in V8SC.
I would think that a 4 valve engine would reach the 7500 limit quicker than a 2 valve engine.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 01:08 (Ref:2959356)   #24
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why not just use one of the current V8s and put on different rocker covers that read "HYUNDAI" instead of the "FORD" or "HOLDEN" covers they have now.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 01:26 (Ref:2959360)   #25
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Why not put Ford rocker covers on a chev? Because its not.

If there was only one engine to use (spec engine) then that would be fine but there are certain bragging rights about having your brand on your engine. Thats why Toyota spent a fortune building a pushrod engine for NASCAR rather than badge engineering.

If I was the boss at Hyundai, or Nissan or whoever I would not want to race my car if I could not have the option to run my engine.

As I understand it the future rules will allow all types of petrol V8 engines.

If Each engine was the same capacity, with the same air restrictor, and same weights for internal compnents they will all make similar power (and at the same rate). Recipricating mass affects the engines ability to get to the liliter faster, not 4 valves. 4 valves help over about 8500rpm.