Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 May 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2872781)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Shannons Supercar Showdown - A 7Mate Production

Back in 1990, Allan Grice, along with Peter Jackson ciggie money, put together a program for young Australian drivers to test Group E-spec Commodores, with a view to going onto running a Wayne Park-built VL at Bathurst that year.

The plan had driving instruction, testing and all sorts of driving development incorporated in handing over the keys to the two winning drivers. Which Rick Bates (brother of multi ARC winner Neal) and Peter Gazzard (Mt Gambier car dealer) promptly won. And debuted, did ok in the race, but DNF'd as the car didnt appreciate the opportunity it was affording the then young fellas..

It seems this program is back, according to MeN. Free of ciggie cash, replaced by KFC & Pepsi. With a 2011 race winning VE from Kelly Racing. For one seat. For a pilot to ride along with Mr Denyer in both the Phillip Island and Bathurst enduros using a Wildcard.

Seems there are pilots from around the world interested in the concept, according to MeN... and some from Australia too.. for it all to be televised on one of the #7 channels in documentary form. Presumably keeping the VE isnt part of the prize...

I wonder if Danny Green is interested
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 May 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2872785)   #2
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can remember them running at a 6 hour (or was it a 24 hour) Relay at Winton to help get racing miles under thier belts at the time.
Old 2 May 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2872786)   #3
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoever wins will need to be either;

a) an epic shortarse, or

b) as thin as a piece of paper to leave the seat while a seat filler the size of a beanbag is installed for the driver of "stature" to have his turn.
Old 2 May 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2872793)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
Whoever wins will need to be either;

a) an epic shortarse, or

b) as thin as a piece of paper to leave the seat while a seat filler the size of a beanbag is installed for the driver of "stature" to have his turn.
You rang? Where do I sign up?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 3 May 2011, 00:21 (Ref:2873257)   #5
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the bet the winner will be quicker than Denyer anyway.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 3 May 2011, 03:10 (Ref:2873272)   #6
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Wait-is this for next year, or next? Not much time if 2011..
Old 3 May 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2873349)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PJs didn't fund the entire programme, contestants had to bring a large wad of cash to the party.

That's what kept me out of it, i was a 19 year old bank teller without two bob to rub together.

Last edited by DAVID PATERSON; 3 May 2011 at 08:37. Reason: typo
Old 4 May 2011, 02:46 (Ref:2873820)   #8
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
That's what kept me out of it, i was a 19 year old bank teller without two bob to rub together.
At least two bob you owned anyway
Old 4 May 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2873931)   #9
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
At least two bob you owned anyway
Banks watch their money very carefully.

Your entry fee was $1000 for which you got a few laps of Winton in a standard road car. Lots of people entered multiple times to get their best chance. I don't know if Rick and Pete did that.

Let's see, in 1990, $1000 was about two weeks' pay - call it $3000 in today's money.

Kramer
Old 4 May 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2873961)   #10
MattV
Racer

Australia
Sydney
MattV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was only 11 at the time, but wasn't there a blow up because either Bates or Gazzard had some professional experience and it was supposed to be for 'amateurs'?
Old 21 Jun 2011, 06:55 (Ref:2902699)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

And with the story that Mr Murphy is making his way to Sydney for teev commitments but cant dodge the Chilean ash cloud...

... is this the new Pepsi Max car being unveiled? Maybe an announcement of a contract extension?

Old 21 Jun 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2902720)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
K.R to bring in new manufactuer fir CotF?????

announcement of the reality TV show for the Bathurst wildcard entry with Grant Denyer which was rumoured in eNews a couple weeks back?????
Old 21 Jun 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2902832)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Seems to be about one driver in particular... one not on anyone's radar for the enduros in a non-wildcard entry... but...

Nobody knows chicken like KFC...
Old 21 Jun 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2903127)   #14
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Kelly's let the cat out of the bag

Just a half an hour early
Old 21 Jun 2011, 22:39 (Ref:2903191)   #15
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the Kelly's are looking for a driver and a grid girl with that list of names.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 21 Jun 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2903193)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
So the Kelly's are looking for a driver and a grid girl with that list of names.
I... dont quite know what to say. The story in MeN was that this was a 'serious' attempt at finding a new pilot, given the time constraints. I would like to be proven wrong, but I am not sure the reality has lived up to the hype.

Ignore all that for a minute...

Kelly Racing to Renault
Old 21 Jun 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2903194)   #17
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting to see that Kelly Racing is running a 5th car. Doesn't the rules state that the maximum amount of cars that a team can run at a event is only four?

Also, it's interesting to see Mad Dog running in a Commodore for the enduros. I wonder what he and Ford Aus are thinking after many years of investment with one another.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2903208)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Interesting to see that Kelly Racing is running a 5th car. Doesn't the rules state that the maximum amount of cars that a team can run at a event is only four?
Under one entrant's licence you are right, but the team already has two, for KR & PE..

I am interesting in knowing how the squad managed to get a 'Bathurst only' wildcard. Having spoken to a number of Fujitsu guys over the last few years, they would have been far happier to do 'just Bathurst' so as to avoid the cost of Phillip Island or Sandown...
Old 21 Jun 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2903211)   #19
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I am interesting in knowing how the squad managed to get a 'Bathurst only' wildcard. Having spoken to a number of Fujitsu guys over the last few years, they would have been far happier to do 'just Bathurst' so as to avoid the cost of Phillip Island or Sandown...
i'm sure the publicity machine in Nerang would have quickly given the dispensation...
Old 22 Jun 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2903220)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Bathurst Shore
Old 22 Jun 2011, 05:00 (Ref:2903255)   #21
woodduck97
Rookie

woodduck97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a joke... another well fabricated V8 Supercar publicity stunt. The choice of "upcoming talent" is curious... not a national car racing championship between them...

If this was a serious "competition" perhaps they could have actually selected drivers with some runs on the board at lower national levels.

I wish Mr Sera all the best at Bathurst
Old 22 Jun 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2903313)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Sunrise Launch Here
Old 22 Jun 2011, 08:27 (Ref:2903317)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I count 1 Kiwi and a Pom... not 10 Aussies!

Nor every day Aussies at that...
Old 22 Jun 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2903329)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
any chance we can give this thread a title that reflects its correct name. I imagine that as the series goes ahead, there will be some discussion regarding it and a title that many of us on here are too young to remember is not a good idea

‘Shannons Supercar Showdown" starts July 23rd on Mate
Old 22 Jun 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2903363)   #25
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
So can a 16 year old get the right level of racing licence to race in the SC1000??

It will be interesting to see how they get the relevant signatures on thier licences for the FIA upgrade required.