Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Jun 2023, 06:10 (Ref:4160160)   #76
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
That's basically the route we've always taken (in recent years) when leaving the Arnage enclosure, but in reverse. I'm wondering if they might divert/allow cyclists and pedestrians along the old road, for safety.
I have added the path in the post using Maps
Old 13 Jun 2023, 11:48 (Ref:4163501)   #77
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is purely for information:

I travelled via Portsmouth to Cean return this year. The theory being that I could sleep overnight going and doze in a chair coming back in the afternoon/evening. The advantage being that the driving the French side would be approx 2hrs rather than 4.5 Hrs via the Eurotunnel.

Whilst a cabin on the boat is good, they aren't the most comfortable so you dont get a good night's sleep. Also the journey is only 6hrs so, again not long enough for a rest. But I got to the camp site by 11am having stopped for food and wine etc. on the way. Coming back I left the camp site at 9am, took a leaisurely drive to Caen and had Moules and Frits in the town square (at the same restaurant I visited twenty years ago). We boarded the ferry late and thus arrived 40 mins late in Portsmouth. I was pretty relaxed but still had 90 mins of driving to get home.

In comparison. If I travel by Eurotunnel I have the same 90 mins journey (depending on timing) to and from Folkestone, and 4.5 hrs each way in France. So if I leave the camp site at 9am on the Monday, all things being equal I can be home by 7pm the same day. Using Portsmouth Caen I arrive home at approx 1130pm. As it happens the A3 and the M25 were closed in my direction so that added an hour to my journey although this is not related to the normal trip timing.

So, based on the above I'll go back the Eurotunnel and accept the extra driving on the Fench side since the UK side of the journey is the same.
Old 13 Jun 2023, 12:11 (Ref:4163507)   #78
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another potential FAQ item could be that there were new exit procedures for the Epinettes, Houx and Houx Annexe campsites (maybe other sites too).

You were not able to leave between 1600-1700 on Sunday in order to improve traffic flow.

A couple of our group who needed to make a quick exit decided to leave around 15:00 in order not to be 'locked in'.
Old 13 Jun 2023, 12:31 (Ref:4163513)   #79
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We stayed with a family on the north side of LM (originally sourced through Destination Circuit but more lately a direct arrangement). Easy journey into the track Sat and Sun with minimal delays into Parking Expo at c.9am.

Parking - our Expo sticker arrived by DHL and worked fine.

Entrance tickets - re-printed tickets still didn't work, but they had an office at the North entrance which did not delay too much

We had seats in T34 - the tribune above the pits. There have usually been a few extra people who turn up for the start and finish and who stand at the top of the tribune or may sit on the stairs (H&S ??). This year there was a veritable flood of people mostly sporting gold grid walk bracelets. The numbers lead to many standing in the line of sight of those of us who had paid for seats in the tribune. so, make sure you are sitting to the left of the aisle to have half a chance of seeing the start line ...

If Victor reads this I'd be interested in what he had been "sold" with his grid walk pass.

Tartiflette - finally got round to trying some from the giant frying pan behind the main tribunes - looks a bit dodgy, but tasted fabulous ... what have I been missing !

ACO tribune probably 20% empty on Sunday afternoon.

Travelled out from Calais via Yvetot on Friday; back through Rouen (we had a Critical Air sticker) on Monday. About the same travel time each way.
Old 13 Jun 2023, 12:57 (Ref:4163518)   #80
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the last few years I have gone Newhaven-Dieppe, via Yvetot, across Pont de Brotonne over the Seine, then picked up the toll road for the rest of the way. On the way back I avoid the tolls completely, also via Yvetot.

Newhaven and Dieppe are small ports and I find them much more pleasant than Dover/Calais. Obviously a shorter drive from Dieppe too. Downside is not many sailings, so don't miss your boat, and it's a 4 hour crossing. I usually get a cabin on the way back for a snooze and a private bathroom. A bit of a treat after a week of camping.

Sailing times are not ideal but other factors weigh as well (ease, cost, driving distance etc). Sail out 11am UK, arrive 4pm France. Return is 6pm France arriving 9pm UK. Not a major issue if you live in the south but I then have to get to Leeds. Took me 6 hours yesterday with all the inevitable lane closures, road closures, diversions etc. Not sure I can hack it again without an overnight stop. We'll see...
There are a couple of other sailings including one in the middle of the night.

Yvetot diversion means avoiding Rouen, going over a nice bridge, and travelling through the Parc naturel régional des Boucles de la Seine Normande (which is nice if you like trees). The Yvetot bypass also has a choice of Leclerc, Aldi and Lidl if you want to stop for shopping along the way.