Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 8 May 2002, 14:29 (Ref:280332)   #1
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi is boring

okay okay, this is surely going get people talking!
Yes Rossi is talented,
Yes he has the best team,
Yes he has the best bike
and yes he is BORING!!

There is not much else to say other then its getting to be deadly dull. If it wasn't for Kato in the last race I would have surely fallen asleep, and i dont say this lightly, I'm as fantical as the next person (in here). But really I'm enjoying the 250's and 125's more at the moment.

Rossi you're boring!
Honda give Kato and Lois a 4 stroke NOW because those guys are just as talented!!

Last edited by asha; 8 May 2002 at 14:30.
Old 8 May 2002, 15:12 (Ref:280349)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you mean boring to watch race or boring as a person as well?

As for racing, it's a shame the Honda four-stroke is so advanced because Rossi is the best out there however his talent is overlooked because the bike is just so good. We'll see a real measure of talent when all the bikes are developed and everyone should be on equal machinery.
Old 8 May 2002, 17:48 (Ref:280466)   #3
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's he supposed to do about it? Fall off, slow down, take lessons from professional wrestlers? It's for the others to do something about it. They've got to get their act together.
Old 8 May 2002, 21:38 (Ref:280589)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said big fella.
Old 9 May 2002, 00:16 (Ref:280649)   #5
asha
Veteran

The racing is boring, val seems a fun/great guy, but the racing just reminds me of the bad old days of Doohan dominance.

Dont get me wrong, i love Mick, but its not exactly exciting is it?

Is vale to blame? not really, its Honda who make sure that only one guy has best equipment. A can see the history books now "2002 Valentino Rossi, won on equipment"
Old 9 May 2002, 02:11 (Ref:280680)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't mind seeing Rossi dominating because, unlike some other motorsports I can mention, the racing behind is very exciting and there is a thing called OVERTAKING!!!

Rossi will probably have it all his own way this year but next year once all the bikes are developed, watch out, it will be magnificent.
Old 9 May 2002, 06:53 (Ref:280729)   #7
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So asha you are saying the racing is boring and not rossi?

Honda made two bikes and gave them to rossi and ukauwa and the rest are no where.(Yamaha and the other brands)
So you want what we had for the last few years? The World Honda 500cc Championship?
so the new name for MotoGP would be MotoHondaGP
Old 9 May 2002, 07:25 (Ref:280734)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Honda have dominated since 1996-98 when Yamaha and Suzuki brought out some terrible machinery and Honda at that time used to sweep podium after podium.

Yamaha appeared to have its act together in the past few years but just hasn't been able to take the title.

Suzuki did manage to break Honda dominance in the Riders Championship, but the fact they only have a factory team and nothing else costs them Manufacturers championships.
Old 9 May 2002, 07:44 (Ref:280740)   #9
asha
Veteran

I'm just saying Rossi easily winning every race is boring!

I'm not offering any solutions becuase no one, that could do anything about it, would listen.
Old 9 May 2002, 07:59 (Ref:280751)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
I wouldn't worry too much asha.

Next year Yamaha and Suzuki should be up to Hondas standard (hopefully anyway) while Aprilia are already making steady progress. And Ducati will probably hit the ground running, particulary if they have the riders of the calibre of Bayliss.

So Rossi will most definetely have it all his own way this year, unless Ukawa upsets the party, which I doubt, but next year MotoGP will begin in earnest.
Old 9 May 2002, 13:53 (Ref:280982)   #11
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully.
About time something should happend there, it is only fun to see a pair of Repsol hondas win so many times.
I don't think Rossi is boring, I just think that the rest ought to get started and do something.
Otherwise we will have HondaGP racing for a even longer time.
Old 9 May 2002, 14:16 (Ref:280991)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Let's not forget, apart from Suzuki in 2000 and Nastro Azzuro/Rossi in 2001, Repsol Honda have dominated since 1994.
Old 9 May 2002, 17:09 (Ref:281131)   #13
ChrisUSA
Rookie

ChrisUSA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are 3 classes in MotoGP this year: 1)the RC211V's 2)the NSR's and 3)everyone else. f1manoz, the only equality there will be is if everyone gets a V5. Honda will romp to the title this year and next etc. if no one dares make a bike with more than 4 cylinders.
Old 10 May 2002, 08:26 (Ref:281560)   #14
Gerrit
Racer

Gerrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a much better idea- keep Daijiro on the NSR, and kick out all the cheater four-strokes. The fact that they require double the engine size to be competitive only proves what a hopeless engine the four-stroke really is.
As for Rossi, it does not really matter what machinery he is on- he will win anyway. He would win on an NSR. Is it his fault that he is a much better rider than the others???????
Old 11 May 2002, 10:17 (Ref:282454)   #15
asha
Veteran

However much I might like the sound of your idea Gerrit, I think that by just giving Kato the same bike as Rossi would make me happy!
As far as all this talk, "next year is going to be SOOOO good" talk.. you can stick that!! THIS IS NEXT YEAR!!
Lets not defer enjoyment, for a possible future (sorry, thats my philosophy degree talking), I'm not happy just to give Rossi the title today....lets have a battle...
I WANT IT NOW! SO LETS HAVE IT!!!

Last edited by asha; 11 May 2002 at 10:19.
Old 11 May 2002, 18:42 (Ref:282787)   #16
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motogp's future is way better than Wsbk's. Ducati and kawa will join next year with full force, and yam, apilla and suzuki will certainly improve(hopefully). proton is not doing bad now also...
As for wsbk, i don't know, only time will tell. Good riders like Nicky and Gobert will jump to GP though as they get no ride there.
Old 11 May 2002, 18:48 (Ref:282792)   #17
Blue
Racer

And also it is transitional period, so we get to be bit more patient don't we?
Old 13 May 2002, 08:36 (Ref:284704)   #18
Gerrit
Racer

The question is, how long will those manufacturers be able to afford it all? The smaller ones won't be in for long. Ducati make a net profit of $10 million according to their own figures. But, again according to their own figures, they will be spending $30 million in initial development costs, plus another 10 million annually to keep it running. Aprilia are in a similar situation. And with the scooter market in Italy, Aprilia's main income source, belly-up, they won't able to afford it for very long. Nor will Ducati.
HRC, by contrast, are spending $150 million on the RC211V alone. The competition will have to spend similar amounts to stay competitive. And if they do become competitive HRc can easily tear up the RC211V design and make another. Only Honda can afford it. Not even Yamaha and Suzuki can afford similar sums.
Of all the manufacturers, Ducati is most dependent on race success to boost (or at least maintain) sales. Their success is solely a result of WSB success. But if they fail to make much imporession in GP, their sales will fall, and they will be forced out. Ditto Aprilia. What guarantee is there that the RS3 will be more successful than the RSW500? So far it is being clobbered by every bike, even by newcomers as John Hopkins on a YZR which hasn't seen any development since Rio 2001.
And with such vast quantities of cash required to match HRC, we will be seeing the others slowly falling by the wayside until only Honda are left.
So kicking out the cheater four-strokes and sticking to affordabe two-strokes is the only long-term option left to the sport.
But no matter which bikes are used, Rossi will dominate the sport for as long as he likes- he is simply in a class of his own. Only Katoh will be a consistent threat this year. And I for one hope he can clobber Rossi and make the valved horrors look even more foollish than they already do.
Old 13 May 2002, 08:48 (Ref:284717)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Unfortunately Gerrit, about this point:

Quote:
So kicking out the cheater four-strokes and sticking to affordabe two-strokes is the only long-term option left to the sport
the governing body doesn't agree. 500cc two-strokes are dinosaurs in todays market.

They see the 1000cc four-stroke prototypes as the things of the future, and expect companies to spend the money to be successful.
Old 13 May 2002, 10:24 (Ref:284811)   #20
asha
Veteran

Motogp is also getting more professional. They are trying as hard as possible to be F1. They never will be as big a F1, but even if they get to be 1/3 of the size they will be absolely massive and attract sooooooo much sponsorship money they the huge cost you mention wont be as big a deal.

I do argee with this part of your post thou;
"Only Katoh will be a consistent threat this
year. And I for one hope he can clobber Rossi"
Old 13 May 2002, 10:44 (Ref:284833)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
The F1 of motorcycling perhaps?

That's the way it seems to me. The best riders on the most advanced machinery with tonnes of money spent on it.

But MotoGP had better be careful not to make it too expensive.
Old 13 May 2002, 11:31 (Ref:284898)   #22
Gerrit
Racer

First of all, the rules were NOT initiated by the FIM. They were drawn up by Honda, who then talked the other manufacturers into supporting them before ramming them down the FIM's throat.
Second, if four-stroke racing is so important, why abandon WSB, as most manufacturers are now doing, or will do very soon?
Third, where is the money going to come from? As Kevin Cameron, Cycle World's technical editor once remarked, "If so much money was available for motorcycle GP racing, surely we would have seen it already?" The fact is, it simply isn't there. And why would sponsors suddenly be willing to cough up treble (or even more) the amount they are spending now? Will Repsol suddenly see their sales of motorcycle products treble because they are sponsoring a four-stroke team, which would justify such extra expenditure? UNLIKELY!!!!!!!!! The simple truth is that motorcycle GP racing is a minority sport and will never attract the money that even the smallest F1 teams are getting. So who will pay for all this madness? Ticket prices will rise, for one. And the manufacturers will pass on the costs to the public. Bike prices will rise, and the smaller factories will have to spread the cost over fewer sales and be forced to increase their prices more than the bigger factories.
Sorry, it simply does not add up. And why should four-strokes "deserve" double the displacement of two-strokes????? The brutal truth is that it is FOUR-stroke development which is stagnant, and not two-stroke development.
Old 13 May 2002, 11:33 (Ref:284902)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
All good points Gerrit but I don't see the manufacturers suddenly changing their minds and saying 'Oh dear, we've made a terrible mistake.'

They will probably only say that if or when they start losing millions.
Old 13 May 2002, 13:21 (Ref:285038)   #24
Gerrit
Racer

Your guess is as good as mine as to what will happen. However, I believe that in a few years, with more manufacturers pulling out, grids will be emptier with every passing year. The FIM will have to step in and, as they did at the end of the 1960s, introduce constructional limits to cut costs and make it possible for smaller factories to compete at reasonable cost- back to square one.
And if racing four-strokes wash so important, why did every manufacturer happily race two-strokes in 500 since MV pulled out in 1976? Only Honda tried with the Never Ready 500, and failed dismally. Yet the switch to four-stroke street bikes was already taking place then. Now, suddenly, it becomes important to race four-strokes. Why now, and not in 1976?
At the end of the day, it does not matter what machinery is used- Rossi is so good that he has no equal right now, with the possible exception of Katoh. Capirossi is not consistent, plus I do not want him to win the title after the disgraceful way in which he "won" his 250 title. The only reason I hope he does well is because he is on a two-stroke. Other than that I dislike him intensely.
Old 14 May 2002, 03:38 (Ref:285835)   #25
Blue
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerrit
Second, if four-stroke racing is so important, why abandon WSB, as most manufacturers are now doing, or will do very soon?
Why? Kawa and Suzuki are hardly shown on TV, always battling in the middle. They are completely ignored! okay
They should spend more money on wsbk, but I am afraid they are short of cash. they have no luxury of racing gp and wsbk at the same time. they are probably paranoid about 4 cannot match v-twin things. I don't blame them coz I am paranoid too.