View Poll Results: Ralf or Montoya?
Ralf 9 19.57%
Montoya 37 80.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Feb 2003, 23:03 (Ref:494285)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who will come out on top? Ralf or Montoya?

OK, we've had polls for BAR, Toyota and Sauber on which driver would come out on top, so why don't we do one for Williams? This is an overall poll BTW.

I would say Montoya.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 23:06 (Ref:494291)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No contest - Montoya. Ralf's had long enough and oppotunity enough to prove what he can do and so far thats not a lot.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 23:10 (Ref:494298)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I would say Montoya also, but I would'nt bet the house on it.

He should have been alot closer to Ralf in 2001 and the gap should have been more convincing last year. I mean, it came down to the last race (and could have gone the other way).

No doubt at all, Monty is the faster of the Williams duo. But unless he can start tuning his qualifying into race results, the younger Schumacher may tarnish his career further.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 23:25 (Ref:494329)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would go for Montoya - provided he's a little more consistent than in the past.

It would be nice to see a bit more fighting between him and Michael - even better if we got a spat between Ralf and Michael, but Juan's the best bet.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 23:27 (Ref:494334)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Ralf won't fight Michael, we've seen that many a time. Who voted Ralf then? C'mon own up.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 23:27 (Ref:494336)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Juan Pablo.....without a doubt.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 23:27 (Ref:494337)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 23:29 (Ref:494340)   #8
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i nearly voted for ralf........but ended up voting montoya - but would like to see ralf fulfil his potential which i still think he has and always has since his years at jordan
Old 3 Feb 2003, 00:31 (Ref:494416)   #9
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM easily
Old 3 Feb 2003, 02:52 (Ref:494497)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a tough one to me. RS is a fast driver. He may not challenge hard on the track but he can set really consistent fast times. If the Williams is clearly the second best on the grid then I think it can be close. However if its a fight with Mac or whoever then I expect JPM's racing ability to push him ahead.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 03:21 (Ref:494509)   #11
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf.

He's the man - and he wouldve finished on top last season too had Pablo not screwed up at Indy and BMW not let him down at Monza and Suzuka.

Last edited by Mania; 3 Feb 2003 at 03:25.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 03:36 (Ref:494512)   #12
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marc would do better than Ralf...

My bet is on Juan Pablo.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 06:37 (Ref:494553)   #13
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM may have a gap until Silverstone. After that, without the use of traction control to correct those handling errors, I suspect Ralf will peg back the lead and beat Pablo.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 07:17 (Ref:494563)   #14
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf will always defer to TGF in races and possibly because he almost always has one eye on what his brother is doing Ralf will not have the focus on HIS job in mind in the same way as JPM. Regardless of what is stated, if TGF does ever happen to be behind Ralf for a long period of time, you couldn't possibly imagine Ralf squeezing with the same ferocity, TGF for a corner or any subtle brake-testing pranks that a lot of them get up to when being highly pressured into a mistake from the driver behind. TGF has turned a page in history and to have his brother put him out of a race inadvertently would make Ralf as infamous after a split-second's action as TGF is famous for ten years in F1 and 5 WDCs. Could you imagine REALLY getting aggressive on a sibling/son/whatever relation- and by that I mean "You lift or you crash" (DC) aggressive as TGF is known to do on occasion with other drivers. It wouldn't happen and JPM doesn't have these considerations to think about when going for an overtake. Not saying he can be reckless, but he doesn't have to think "Hmm, note to self, if I get out of shape on this apex approach and spin him (my brother) in front of the whole field in turn 1 lap 1" I'm in for it ...".

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 3 Feb 2003, 07:27 (Ref:494567)   #15
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM. No doubt. No contest.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 08:08 (Ref:494588)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
JPM may have a gap until Silverstone. After that, without the use of traction control to correct those handling errors, I suspect Ralf will peg back the lead and beat Pablo.
JPM has far better car control than Ralf, the gap post silverstone will increase. Never see him controling 200mph power slides in Cart?

Mania, that is flamebait right?
Old 3 Feb 2003, 09:37 (Ref:494631)   #17
The_Z_Man
Racer

The_Z_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
JPM has far better car control than Ralf, the gap post silverstone will increase.
I'm really looking forward to this season.
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Never see him controling 200mph power slides in Cart?{...}
Sure, then again, a CART car doesn't have the exact same dynamics and slip angles than a F1 one. Read a CART car has less grip, but is more forgiving.

Too bad there isn't a "too close to call option". How many points could they be apart and still be considered having being more or less equal ? Less than 10 points ( a victory) ?

The_Z_Man
Old 3 Feb 2003, 10:00 (Ref:494637)   #18
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted JPM, but I'm another one who wishes there had been a 'too close to call' choice. I am not a big Ralf fan at all, but the guy is quick... and consistent... and smart. Not agressive, and everyone who says he won't take the battle to his brother is correct, I think, but he appears to take far too much criticism on 10/10 from the Montoya groupies... Montoya has never proven that he is a lot better than Ralf. Poles don't prove it, can't crown a WDC based on qualifying. Last year was a close points tally... But I voted JPM because he is a racer, he is exciting to watch, and I hope that this year he destroys Ralf and his boring, clinical driving...
Old 3 Feb 2003, 10:10 (Ref:494639)   #19
The_Z_Man
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
I voted JPM, but I'm another one who wishes there had been a 'too close to call' choice. I am not a big Ralf fan at all, but the guy is quick... and consistent... and smart.
I think exactly the same.

Quote:
Not agressive, and everyone who says he won't take the battle to his brother is correct, I think, but he appears to take far too much criticism on 10/10 from the Montoya groupies... Montoya has never proven that he is a lot better than Ralf. Poles don't prove it, can't crown a WDC based on qualifying.
And even then the qualifying went on 9-8 and Ralf was .048 faster in average. IOW a wash in qualifying from where I stand.
Quote:
Last year was a close points tally... But I voted JPM because he is a racer, he is exciting to watch, and I hope that this year he destroys Ralf and his boring, clinical driving...
Even though I prefer JPM, it doesn't blind me to the fact that RS is quite competent too and quite a match for him.

The_Z_Man
Old 3 Feb 2003, 11:11 (Ref:494685)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Ralf.

He's the man - and he wouldve finished on top last season too had Pablo not screwed up at Indy and BMW not let him down at Monza and Suzuka.
Surely it was Ralf who screwed up by spinning into Juan?
And again it was Ralf who screwed up at Monza by shortcutting the chicane to get ahead of Juan, going over those bumps and knackering his engine in the process?
Old 3 Feb 2003, 11:17 (Ref:494696)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montoya. He has learned so much over the last 2 years. I'm not sure he'll have a qualifying advantage under the new rules, but we will really see the difference if Williams are capable of taking the fight to Ferrari. Not only is Ralf scared to race Michael, but his overtaking and close-quarters racing in general leaves a lot ot be desired, as Australia and Indy suggest, not to mention numerous incidents in the past.

Ralf's chance of being on top would come down to Montoya getting irritated by a slow can, and overdriving. Brazil and Nurburgring can be seen as Montoya mistakes, but Ralf made a lot in his first 2 seasons. The qualifying battle betweent eh 2 will be especially interesting to watch - in the 10 races where Montoya missed pole, he missed the front row, and only beat Ralf twice more. Seems like, if the car isn't great, neither is Montoya.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 14:45 (Ref:494911)   #22
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Surely it was Ralf who screwed up by spinning into Juan?
And again it was Ralf who screwed up at Monza by shortcutting the chicane to get ahead of Juan, going over those bumps and knackering his engine in the process?
Please point out what miracle component led to him supposedly "knackering" the engine by shortcutting a chicane at Monza? The last time I checked engines are not made of foam so lets toss that theory aside cos its ridiculous. As for Indy, Pablo wrongly thought that Ralf would let him go by easily and he tried to squeeze him when he got to the corner and found Ralf alongside..Unfortunately Ralf tried to avoid an incident and took too much curb..he would have been better off holding his line and have Pablo turn in on him taking them BOTH out of the race.

Pablo was lucky to finish ahead of Ralf last season mainly due to Ralf's misfortune as pointed out by Patrick Head himself. This season though - Pablo will get his butt kicked in my opinion...and Im looking forward to it.

Old 3 Feb 2003, 14:54 (Ref:494925)   #23
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted JPM cos he risks more and is fearless but it was a close call - i almost voted Ralf.

I dont think JPM is much better than Ralf.

It depends on who the car suits more.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 15:31 (Ref:494964)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
As for Indy, Pablo wrongly thought that Ralf would let him go by easily and he tried to squeeze him when he got to the corner and found Ralf alongside
Don't think that Juan thinks that Rafe would ever concede "easily" to him, if anything, Rafe puts up more of a fight! If you watch them both coming off the final turn before the start/finish straight, Juan Pablo was miles faster than Rafe, what was he meant to do, just sit behind him? JPM pulled the same sort of move on Michael at the same spot one year before that, didn't see Michael spinning off the track in avoidance

Mania, check ya pm's btw.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 15:36 (Ref:494969)   #25
The_Z_Man
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
{...}JPM pulled the same sort of move on Michael at the same spot one year before that, didn't see Michael spinning off the track in avoidance
{..}
No, but I've seen MS understeer on JPM in Malaysia in 2002.

The_Z_Man

Last edited by The_Z_Man; 3 Feb 2003 at 15:41.

Tags
jpm