Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Feb 2003, 05:23 (Ref:492628)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Why not 18+ races?

I was just reading this story at grandprix.com about Bernie wanting Spa back on the calander. He mentions though with the new races in China and Bahrain he would have to convince the teams to accept an addition race, something in the past they have'nt been prepared to do.

Why not?

I know the initial response is money, but I fail to see the issue. I would expect the bulk of their budget taken up in R&D and other fixed costs, so any additional cost could offset by the additional television and sponsor revenue from extra coverage.

Is it a calander issue or a time contraint problem? Most other series do more than 17 events, why not F1?
Old 1 Feb 2003, 05:35 (Ref:492630)   #2
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny, this. I actually woke up the other morning, wondering why they shouldn't run 18 to get SPA back. 10 minutes later I logged in to see the news.

It just seems like more cloak and dagger on the part of BE...axe SPA and pick up China and India for tobacco money, then come back and offer SPA without the adds money from tobacco.

Beyond that, I do not know why any team wouldn't want to run 18.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 05:51 (Ref:492631)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, Bernie could always offer the added incentive of more cash if they competed in an extra race.

Valve

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 1 Feb 2003 at 05:53.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 07:25 (Ref:492652)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it would be quite possible for the F1 calender to host 20 races. But the teams will whinge constantly, as will the drivers etc, so it's a dead issue. They want 16.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 09:47 (Ref:492729)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
when i saw the 18+ title, i thought that WREX had finally gone mad and suggested "adult" races . It would be nice to see upwards of 20 races, but can't see it ever happening as Max and Bernie are intent on getting rid of as many European races as possible
Old 1 Feb 2003, 09:55 (Ref:492740)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I did mate, but the thread was pulled
Old 1 Feb 2003, 11:52 (Ref:492821)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It should be more than 18 races, really. You have NASCAR every darn week and F1 sometimes has a three-week space.

Bring on 22 races. Heck, the year is made of 52 weeks! Simply, no tests. (even though I can go watch them) Develop the car only on Fridays, test new things there.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 17:33 (Ref:493045)   #8
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
22 seems to be a good number to me, i could handle it, plus with the extra merchandise sold should help the teams & Drivers bank balance, plus a proper street race would be lovely
Old 1 Feb 2003, 18:06 (Ref:493057)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i do agree with whats been said in the past that too many races would devalue the championship a tad........but i think they could certainly make the amount of races more than they have now.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 18:08 (Ref:493058)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I think some foreward planning may eliminate any time concerns. Say you need 2 weeks to ensure transportation to 'away races', then back. So, why not run both North American round on consecutive weekends (or even 2 weeks apart) - it'll save on that respect [and even transport costs if we jump up to more than 10 teams again and 1 has to pay]. A bit of common sense on that front will easily create room for an extra race if that's an excuse!
Old 1 Feb 2003, 18:19 (Ref:493067)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's what they used to do, have the Canadian and Detroit races consecutively...
Old 1 Feb 2003, 20:45 (Ref:493198)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Seems crazy that the teams don't want an extra couple of races when they do thousands and thousands of miles of testing every winter, just cut the testing and have more races.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 23:29 (Ref:493314)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's precisely it, Monster, but teams don't want to lose their precious testing time.

It's a bloody joke. They could easily have races every fortnight, and in Europe a race every week, easily. Leave testing to the Friday and they'd be set.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:07 (Ref:493354)   #14
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
when i saw the 18+ title, i thought that WREX had finally gone mad and suggested "adult" races .

I am wondering how would such a race look like? Drivers in cars with ads such as "Playboy TV", "Durex" or something?
Old 2 Feb 2003, 00:12 (Ref:493355)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
So does anyone know why the teams are opposed to it?
Old 2 Feb 2003, 02:36 (Ref:493431)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
More racing, less testing. Plus team members wouldn't want to be away from their families ALL the time. Realistically, F1 could go from February to November but it would give drivers and team personnel less and less time with their families.

Plus, there is also the cost involved with flying all around the world. The added pressure of more events, stuff like that.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 02:58 (Ref:493444)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would more races devaluate the WDC? I can only see the oposite being true.

More races means more people attending, more **** sold, more TV & Ads, more exposure for sponsors, etc. I don't see why the 22 races wouldn't provide a perportional increase in revenue. If teams didn't use all the increased revenue for R&D they could make more money. (unlikely)

Last edited by R; 2 Feb 2003 at 08:57.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 04:26 (Ref:493489)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the drivers decided to become real drivers and have a go at some other races as well (eg...some Sportscar races as well during the year) then i'd say leave it at 16 or 17. If they want to concentrate on F1 solely, bring it up to say 20.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 04:34 (Ref:493495)   #19
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Why not?" is a good question. The teams williingly accepted Bahrain and China (2 fly away races btw) when there were already 17 races on the calender and there wasnt a whole lot of talk about getting rid of any. Now there are only 16 races (15 in 2004), why does taking back Spa, the 18th race, need such special consideration?
Old 2 Feb 2003, 04:44 (Ref:493499)   #20
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie picks up the gate and the food/beverages at Spa - his missus owns the company that runs that gig, so of course Bernie is trying to get it back - its a neat $20 million in his pocket each year
Old 2 Feb 2003, 10:38 (Ref:493659)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If they did have say 18 - 20 races each year, then id say there should be a mandentory 4 week break in the summer so peeps can see their families.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 13:54 (Ref:493779)   #22
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, they should make the opening seasons section 4 weeks on the trot. Australia, Malaysia, Brazil, Bahrain with a testing ban in place, then head back to europe for 2 weeks break, then some early european rounds, summer break with testing allowed over two weeks of the 4. Then you do the Europe section 2, small 2 week break, then onto Indy and Laguna Seca, Canada, China, Japan in 6 weeks. With a weeks testing ban in the middle.

9 overseas and 11 European. Should keep everyone happy.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 15:41 (Ref:493834)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Why Laguna Seca?

Sure its a nice track to look at and probably drive, but its as bad as Hungary for overtaking, its as dusty as Hungary as well.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 15:55 (Ref:493848)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Elkhart would be better for passing.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 16:17 (Ref:493865)   #25
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah. That's a cool track...now it's probably the coolest on Earth.