Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Aug 2017, 19:43 (Ref:3760802)   #2726
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
That's potentially a rather personal question Baub.
If our owrforeever has a wife who carries a grudge against houses, I think we ought to know about it, after all you never know where she might show up.

I am quite capable of driving into my own residence, and would prefer not to have strange women (and she sounds strange you must admit) careering down Letsby Avenue, in Glasgow where I live.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3760805)   #2727
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You lot appear to be gluttons for punishment, or easily amused - possibly both!

As you might gather, some of us were tearaways in our youth with unquenchable thirsts for speed. Motor racing sort of fulfilled that need for me, and my road driving over time became far more civilised.

However, before that happened, I was driving us up to Snetterton on the aforementioned road, late as usual and in a tearing hurry to sign on, etc. With my foot flat to the floor, I suddenly realised that the roundabout at the end of the road was approaching at a speed that was greater than the car and trailer's ability to slow down to safely negotiate the roundabout. So in desperation, I decided that it might be a better option to, literally, just go straight over the top of the roundabout and hope for the best. Luckily, most roundabouts then had very little, or no, street furniture, and we landed back on the A11 very little the worse for my indiscretion, although we may have had to change the front wheels.

And this reminds me of my very first race at Snetterton. In those days, practice and qualifying was in one 15 or so minute session, and after every lap I had to come back into the pits because the engine was misfiring on all four pots. We were running Champion sparking plugs, and the tips were burning out along the Norwich Straight, causing the huge misfire. Result, I qualified in last place.

Back in the paddock, Bert, of Boreham fame, who was in charge of Roger Taylor's Anglia, came over to offer assistance as he often did with other competitors. He told us that our problem was that we were using "tractor" plugs, and told us to hold on for a moment. He went back to his van, and came back with a few cartons of Autolite plugs that he had had made especially for Roger's car. What a difference they made, although we could never start the car from cold with them, so once warmed up with the Champions, we would swap over to the Autolites.

Anyway, at the drop of the flag, I went flying up the order, and along the Norwich Straight I suddenly found myself in the lead as we approached the hairpin with the mini grandstand on opposite the apex. The reason that I was in the lead was because I still had my foot firmly planted on the loud pedal, whilst everybody else, who all had brains and knew that at speed the Straight didn't take as long to travel down as it did when misfiring, were standing on their brakes.

To this day, I don't know how I survived that incident. Realising that I needed to stop before I ran out of road, I virtually stood on the brakes, pulled up the hand brake as hard as I could, and when I thought that it was a last resort, I chucked it into first and hoped for the best. Next thing I know, I was facing back up the Norwich Straight with the whole pack going left and right around me. And when the dust settled, not a scratch on the car.

It actually taught me a very valuable lesson. To always familiarise myself with every track, even if I had raced there the previous week. Just pootle around the track for a lap or two just to make sure that everything was just as it was before, and also to re-acquaint myself with my braking points and my racing lines.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3760817)   #2728
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The most recent episode my wife didn't really hit the house, she tried to pull it down!
In 2013 she purchased a brand new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (the four door). It was her new baby. Being so pleased, she drove it home from the dealer and backed it into our garage (bad idea). She showed it off, circling the car, pointing out all the things she liked about her new purchase. Unwittingly, when she closed the rear passenger door she wedged in the handle and rope of the emergency door opener release, inside the door. She suggested a quick spin around the neighborhood. We jumped into her new pride & joy, and within the first ten feet pulled down the garage door, the automatic door opener, rollers, tracks, and ancillary hardware! It all came crashing down on top her new baby! 15 miles new! The garage door folded up around the Jeep like a taco! After all the dust settled the Jeep incurred two tiny scratches in its top, that's it! Whew; she did it, again! Alas, everything got patched up, but, boy, did she scare the crap outta me! And people always ask me why I walk ten feet behind her!
I'm getting too old for this!
Old 22 Aug 2017, 06:16 (Ref:3760860)   #2729
Neil Duke
Racer

Neil Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another popular form of trailer was a caravan chassis,with scaffold boards as runners,never had brakes or mudguards.Lost the trailer a couple of times,due to a 50mm ball,& a 2" hitch.I did have a Thames Trader,with extended wheelbase for a while,which I sold to fund a set of used slicks.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 06:26 (Ref:3760863)   #2730
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah I'm glad someone else did the old 50mm/2" trick...my parents had their trailer overtake then one day, thankfully stopped by a lorry going the other way. It was empty and no damage done.

Wheels falling off trailers was a particular Family Midgetman failing. We had a number of shabby 4 wheelers that became 3 wheelers on a regular basis. On one memorable occasion one glanced off the side of a truck in the M4 and we thought it gone forever, but our mechanic spotted it on his next drive down there and it was reunited with its trailer for the cost of a few nuts. Happy days, but a worrying few seconds as we watched the wheel trundle across the motorway.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Aug 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3760866)   #2731
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Duke View Post
I did have a Thames Trader,with extended wheelbase for a while,which I sold to fund a set of used slicks.
Now that is proper old skool racing! Respect.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 07:11 (Ref:3760873)   #2732
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
At the end of the 70's my main competitor was Thierry Perrier who became an experienced Le Mans racer. He had a lot of good bits on his 911 -Kremer or Schrick parts - I couldn't afford. But his towing van was an asthmatic Sherpa diesel while I was using a Renault Estafette with a lot of good bits on it! Revenge on the way back Ã* la mode western.

owrforever, just out of my curiosity, are you still racing in the US? When on the field do you invite your wife to watch or participate or …
Old 22 Aug 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3760883)   #2733
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Ah I'm glad someone else did the old 50mm/2" trick...
I borrowed a trailer off of someone and only got about 200 yards up the road.
Good job it hadn't got a car on it and it only crashed into the hedge, although thinking about it if it had weight on the ball it might have stopped on
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Aug 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3760887)   #2734
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
At the end of the 70's my main competitor was Thierry Perrier who became an experienced Le Mans racer. He had a lot of good bits on his 911 -Kremer or Schrick parts - I couldn't afford. But his towing van was an asthmatic Sherpa diesel while I was using a Renault Estafette with a lot of good bits on it! Revenge on the way back Ã* la mode western.

owrforever, just out of my curiosity, are you still racing in the US? When on the field do you invite your wife to watch or participate or …

Gerard, I often wondered why it said "Motor Racing is dangerous" on the back of the ticket, I assumed it was from the racing cars but ...................
Old 22 Aug 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3760888)   #2735
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I have a Riley 1.5-owning friend who will appreciate that story!
John's Riley 1.5 owning friend here, I have two so don't go giving me ideas. Both of them are blue so do you reckon I'd get away with a plate from each on both cars e.g. 541 TYB (front) and JJH 376C (rear) - vice versa on the other car of course.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3760893)   #2736
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Why not try it?
Great little cars though.On the bigging of the snow storm,we had three and a half to four foot high drifts.As I knew where the road went after the drifts,I used to just drop a gear and blast through them.Well,the milk was low and we wrre nearly out of tea bags!
Old 22 Aug 2017, 09:24 (Ref:3760900)   #2737
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I borrowed a trailer off of someone and only got about 200 yards up the road.
Good job it hadn't got a car on it and it only crashed into the hedge, although thinking about it if it had weight on the ball it might have stopped on
Ha that brings back a memory. I rushed off dinner time with trailer hitched up to collect my race car. Drove through " Sonning " which was where I was based and also a retained fireman. Anyway round tight bend ,trailer came off through a wooden fence and into a very posh large garden. . Had a sheepish look to see if anyone was in. Hitched back up and continued.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 09:25 (Ref:3760901)   #2738
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Blue View Post
John's Riley 1.5 owning friend here, I have two so don't go giving me ideas. Both of them are blue so do you reckon I'd get away with a plate from each on both cars e.g. 541 TYB (front) and JJH 376C (rear) - vice versa on the other car of course.
No, that wouldn't work. As any respected Riley 1.5 (and Wolseley 1500) expert know, you obviously have a Series One and a Series Two example there. Obviously the older plate could work on the Series Two car, but a serious Riley 1.5 Policeman would soon notice that the series one car has so many subtle cosmetic changes (like external bonnet & boot hinges for example) that he would soon smell a rat...
Old 22 Aug 2017, 09:53 (Ref:3760911)   #2739
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Took my driving test in a BSM Riley 1.5 on my 17th birthday at Hendon, having never sat in one of them before. Met the driving instructor for the first time that day, and it turned out that he had never been in one before, either.

On the way to the test centre, he told me off for crossing my arms when turning around corners, telling me that that was a no-no. Made a complete b*llocks of reversing around a corner on the test, and knew that the examiner would fail me. Realising that I must have failed, I relaxed a bit so a few minutes later the examiner told me to reverse around a corner into an alley that was not much wider than the car.

When we got back to the test centre, he gave me a lecture about not passing red traffic lights - to this day I haven't a clue why; I don't think that I did it too many times on the test - and then told me that he was sorry to say that I had passed and gave me my pink slip.

Having completed the test, BSM's policy was that the instructor drove on the way back, and guess what, the instructor found it almost impossible to not cross your arms when turning; my memory of driving that car was that it was more like a truck or bus.

With apologies to Riley 1.5 owners and lovers.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3760932)   #2740
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Took my driving test in a BSM Riley 1.5 on my 17th birthday at Hendon, having never sat in one of them before.
Reckon I was 3 months past my 17th when took the test, in the local (lady) instructor's A40. Bit of a come down as I had been practicing in my Mother's Vitesse Convertible! Worst thing was the difference in brakes.... I used to have a lesson first thing Saturday mornings, and it would usually entail driving from where the instructor was based into Norwich so could use the same roads as the test centre. One morning it was well below freezing, and of course the roads weren't treated. I gingerly negotiated the ice without problem, but then a car in front pulled out to overtake another, and spun in front of me. I managed to avoid the chaos, and the only comment my instructress made (about the other driver), was 'Silly Arse'......

Also took my motorcycle test the same week, had the same examiner for both, and passed both! I don't envy youngsters learning to drive nowadays, and try not to get impatient if I'm following a particularly nervous learner.....
Old 22 Aug 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3760933)   #2741
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
No, that wouldn't work. As any respected Riley 1.5 (and Wolseley 1500) expert know, you obviously have a Series One and a Series Two example there. Obviously the older plate could work on the Series Two car, but a serious Riley 1.5 Policeman would soon notice that the series one car has so many subtle cosmetic changes (like external bonnet & boot hinges for example) that he would soon smell a rat...
Nope, they're both Mk 3s - a '63 (below) and a '65 (lots of pieces) so I think (hope) the rats are safe though perhaps I should have had them both painted the same tasteful colour...
Old 22 Aug 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3760935)   #2742
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Reckon I was 3 months past my 17th when took the test, in the local (lady) instructor's A40. Bit of a come down as I had been practicing in my Mother's Vitesse Convertible! Worst thing was the difference in brakes.... I used to have a lesson first thing Saturday mornings, and it would usually entail driving from where the instructor was based into Norwich so could use the same roads as the test centre. One morning it was well below freezing, and of course the roads weren't treated. I gingerly negotiated the ice without problem, but then a car in front pulled out to overtake another, and spun in front of me. I managed to avoid the chaos, and the only comment my instructress made (about the other driver), was 'Silly Arse'......

Also took my motorcycle test the same week, had the same examiner for both, and passed both! I don't envy youngsters learning to drive nowadays, and try not to get impatient if I'm following a particularly nervous learner.....
I had three driving tests but passed first time! Actually, the first two dates were cancelled due to wintry weather & I eventually got a date at about three days notice, but I'd had enough extra practice by then. It was a very cold March day in Norwich & the examiner kept getting his great-coat wrapped around the gear lever. Car was a local driving school Fiat 850 & my instructor later achieved fame with his band on Opportunity Knocks. I was told not so long ago that the band is still going!
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3760939)   #2743
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I suppose at least people nowadays have got half decent cars to learn in. There's even a Fiesta ST liveried up around here!

John, was it Norwich Mile Cross where you took your test? During my motorbike one I got lost driving round the nearby housing estates, so was a bit delayed returning to the spot where the examiner was standing, waiting for me do the emergency stop!
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:55 (Ref:3760941)   #2744
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I suppose at least people nowadays have got half decent cars to learn in. There's even a Fiesta ST liveried up around here!

John, was it Norwich Mile Cross where you took your test? During my motorbike one I got lost driving round the nearby housing estates, so was a bit delayed returning to the spot where the examiner was standing, waiting for me do the emergency stop!
Yes, it was Mile Cross. When I was at Lotus, Colin Chapman's one-time secretary failed about three times at Mile Cross & reckoned it was the examiner's fault, so for the next occasion she went to the centre near the Theatre Royal, only to get same examiner! He'd probably got transferred in the hope he'd never see her again, so he gave her pass.

A young lad who worked at the ironmonger's in Holt went up to take his 'bike test, but he got lost during the test so he went home. He wasn't the brightest.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3760944)   #2745
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Blue View Post
Nope, they're both Mk 3s - a '63 (below) and a '65 (lots of pieces) so I think (hope) the rats are safe though perhaps I should have had them both painted the same tasteful colour...
Nice colour. The reason for my knowledge about the 1.5 was as a youngster I helped a couple of local policemen who built a Wolseley 1500 into an autocross car. Due to their profession the car was painted a similar shade of pale blue with three white stripes across the car side to side. They called themselves the Panda Autocross Team!
Old 22 Aug 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3760958)   #2746
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Viva, funny you should mention police and a Riley1.5 in one sentence.

In the early to mid 60s, the North London Met. Police based in North Finchley (before they moved it next to the Police College at Hendon) had at least one Riley 1.5 amongst their Q cars.

This one, in particular, was usually manned by a pair of ex-horse officers, who actually continued to wear their horse riding clothes including their highly polished riding boots, with the ensemble completed with their old riding crops. They had a certain reputation in North London, and were universally disliked, and certainly by my mechanic and I.

They once reported me for 13 car and driving offences whilst the car was parked outside of the coffee house/bistro (The Witches Cauldron in Belsize Village) were I worked in the evenings. The magistrate, wise fellow that he was, threw out 12 of the charges, but expressed his regret that he had to find me guilty on one charge on a technicality. He banned me for 7 days on a certain date after making sure that I was going to be out of the country on holiday during the period. No fine or points on my licence.

Some time after, my mechanic who had also had his run ins with this pair, punted their car off the North Circular near Chingford when he was out driving a tipper lorry that had no registration plates on that he was road testing for a customer, writing their car off. Couldn't have happened to anyone nicer - not.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3760961)   #2747
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:

I once worked with a chap who when taking his motor bike test locked up when the examiner stepped out in front of him, and duly knocked the bloke over. The examiner was none too happy ... he failed my friend.

Having spent most of my youth cycling to work, race meetings, and other events a lot of it around North/South London, I am only now realising how lucky I was to have never met some of you lot on the road. If my Mum had know I would have been grounded for sure.
When I consider how many trailers passed me on the way to Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Crystal Palace, Snetterton, and Goodwood, it a wonder I survived.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3760963)   #2748
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mike, can you remember what bike you used for your licence test? Mine was a 350 Jawa… One of the best fun the chief instructor had with the newbies was to say: "OK, I can see you're a smart butt. Here is the key just turn the ignition and start the thing young man!" On this particular model, the key hole was almost impossible to locate, hidden on the headlamp beneath a chrome sliding plate… Then there had not a real kick starter, you had to push firmly on the shifter and turn it to use as a kick! So the first lesson was: if ya think ya no everything you're wrong, shut up and open your hears blue blood!!
Old 22 Aug 2017, 15:16 (Ref:3760965)   #2749
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

Talking of half decent school cars, there was a driving instructor who used to race a Mini & I think his tow car/driving school car was a Dolomite Sprint.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3760977)   #2750
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, can you remember what bike you used for your licence test? Mine was a 350 Jawa…
1967 Honda CB72! All my mates had British bikes at that time.... 250cc was biggest you could ride before passing the test. It was registered KVF 7E, and purchased from the Honda dealer in Norwich centre. They eventually closed down in this century, but before that I casually called in one day and had a chat about my previous purchase. The guy behind the (wooden) counter opened a cupboard and produced the hand written sales record book for 1967- and there it was..... Must have been at least 25 year earlier!
Attached Thumbnails
1968-honda-cb72-250cc-motorcycle.jpg