Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Feb 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1237852)   #1
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lost in Translation: Bob Wollek

If the mods could give me the benefit of the doubt over this slightly off topic thread....

Whilst at the Historic Motorsport Show this weekend, I picked up a copy of the 2001 Le Mans Yearbook, and there was a large tribute in it to Bob Wollek, detailing his history and achievements at Le Mans.

However, the opening line of the article has me stumped to its meaning. Obviously it is a direct translation from the original French to English:

Quote:
Having Abandoned the French Ski Team because the atmosphere was too Florentine for his liking.
Hopefully one of our French correspondents (or a more intellegent Englishman than myself) can explain what a 'Florentine Atmosphere' is, my dictionary only provides the obvious 'someone or something from Florence'.

Thanking You.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1238014)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Atmosphère Florentine = end of an era, at my knowing...
Old 28 Feb 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1238027)   #3
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Reminds me of the time when a French MEP invoked the proverbial intelligence of the people from the north of his country to solve a problem.

He said it needed "la sagesse des Normands."

The simul translation said "what we need to solve this problem is Norman Wisdom."
Old 28 Feb 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1238030)   #4
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sort of linked its the BBC Football commentator when doing an article on Raith Rovers (about 15 yrs ago).

The team was doing well and he said "they'll be dancing on the streets of Raith".

There is no such place

Do I get a prize?
Old 28 Feb 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1238179)   #5
full throttle
Racer

full throttle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would think it was a reference to the political atmosphere of the team, as Florence was a hotbed of intrigue and much backstabbing during its 'golden' age.
Old 28 Feb 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1238326)   #6
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
amazing how we learn so many things on this board ...
Old 1 Mar 2005, 05:13 (Ref:1238655)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by full throttle
I would think it was a reference to the political atmosphere of the team, as Florence was a hotbed of intrigue and much backstabbing during its 'golden' age.
Confirmed ; we still use to say "he's a Florentine" in France, to describe a man of intrigues, rumours, gossips and "political tricks"...
Old 1 Mar 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1238693)   #8
Laurent
Rookie

France
20 km away from Paris (France)
Laurent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fab, I didn't know about this expression !
Old 1 Mar 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1238714)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent
Fab, I didn't know about this expression !
Not very common, I have to admit, but still in use in a political way : "c'est un Florentin"...