Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3281425)   #1
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frijns to replace Hulkenberg?

...has been rumoured.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns25957.html

Don't see the logic in it myself, but it's interesting. If anything it looks like the new owners would be more keen to get a Russian in, thus pushing out Robin.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3281427)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Given that Frijns has had to pull out of GP2 because he's run out of money, I'm not us how or why he'd get into F1.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3281434)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i suppose the logic being that it's cheaper to run a driver who will do it for nothing as opposed to someone who will require paying for the privilege of driving a car that isn't as competitive as he expected it to be.

realistically there's not many people with cash to buy the seat worth taking the gamble on. so why not put your third driver in there? especially if he has a superb reputation and will get a lot of positive press regardless of how he performs in the car.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3281436)   #4
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's say it does happen - do Force India, say, swoop in for Nico this year? Or Lotus? Or maybe Ferrari? They'd have nothing to lose if they decide their second drivers aren't going to be in the team in 2014.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3281437)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think the suggestion was that hulkenberg would sit out the rest of the season and learn the ropes at ferrari. then again it could have been lotus and i got the wrong end of the rumour stick.

it seems odd, but i suppose it kind of makes sense. it's a bit of an odd situation in that hulkenberg is now effectively driving without a contract, and if he has an offer for next year he's better off spending the time learning the new team, getting into the process of developing the new car and developing the relevant personal relationships with people he'll be working with closely next year. his alternative is to hang around and race a car he's not having a great deal of success with and finds difficult to drive, and not be quite so prepared next season.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 02:47 (Ref:3281691)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think the suggestion was that hulkenberg would sit out the rest of the season and learn the ropes at ferrari.
Put him in Massa's seat now !
Old 27 Jul 2013, 09:02 (Ref:3282197)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Put him in Massa's seat now !
That's Mr Ricciardo's seat, for when Mr Raikkonen takes #2 at RBR...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jul 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3282213)   #8
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely Sauber should understand that Gutierrez has been a failure. Plus, Sirotkin isn't a dead cert. He'll be 18. That's too young.

Frijns and Hulkenberg would be an epic line-up, but I'm pretty sure the line-up will have 1 driver for skills and 1 for money, just like we had with Perez (money) and Kobayashi. It's just lucky that Perez was so rapid.

Frijns/Sirotkin
Frijns/Gutierrez
Hulkenberg/Sirotkin
Hulkenberg/Gutierrez

They're the 4 I can see happening.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3282527)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Plus, Sirotkin isn't a dead cert. He'll be 18. That's too young.
Whilst he is young, he has competed in more races than the likes of Raikkonen (I'm not saying that Sirotkin is the equal of Raikkonen, though). Therefore, if given enough track time, I see no reason why an eighteen year old could not theoretically do a half decent job in F1.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 21:45 (Ref:3282519)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
That's Mr Ricciardo's seat, for when Mr Raikkonen takes #2 at RBR...
Seriously doubt that somehow, Ricciardo will stay at STR.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3281853)   #11
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think the suggestion was that hulkenberg would sit out the rest of the season and learn the ropes at ferrari. then again it could have been lotus and i got the wrong end of the rumour stick.

it seems odd, but i suppose it kind of makes sense. it's a bit of an odd situation in that hulkenberg is now effectively driving without a contract, and if he has an offer for next year he's better off spending the time learning the new team, getting into the process of developing the new car and developing the relevant personal relationships with people he'll be working with closely next year. his alternative is to hang around and race a car he's not having a great deal of success with and finds difficult to drive, and not be quite so prepared next season.
You know what they sould do? Ask Caterham if they can have Giedo for the rest of the season. They would do well to get Heikki back in the car and make it better, Sauber could use the cash and Giedo would surely be quite happy to move.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3281438)   #12
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Could make sense. Hulkenburg has not been paid, and contract is terminted. Russian driver comes in, drives for free and at the same time helps politically with Sauber obtaining Russian money / takeover.
(This is all just off the top of my head, and I have probably misunderstood the whole thing wildly)
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3281440)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i don't know where people keep getting the russian takeover thing from. it isn't. it's a big ass sponsorship deal effectively. everything else stays the same.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:27 (Ref:3281444)   #14
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The takeover stories are out there - how credible they are is another story...
Old 25 Jul 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3281509)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'd say get Frijns in there, it can't do either team or driver any harm as they aren't expected to win and Robin will get valuable F1 seat time at a time when other than the young driver stuff, you cannot get into an F1 car properly!

Frijns would likely blow Gutierrez into the weed and put himself right on the map for a full seat next year. having said that he hasn't exactly blown Lancaster away in GP2... but then Jon is vastly underrated so no disgrace there in my opinion.

Hulkenberg wouldn't miss much because it's all new cars for next season.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3281514)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
it's very difficult to blow anybody into the weeds on a consistent basis in gp2 though, being fair to robin. that's one of the reasons nobody is running to throw their money at it. really it's just one big lottery.

sauber aren't exactly afraid to put young talent in their cars.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3281562)   #17
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another crash kid in F1? Oh boy.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3281595)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
he's not a crash kid... he just makes the occasional error of judgement
Old 25 Jul 2013, 20:45 (Ref:3281619)   #19
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look, he's certainly not the worst thing that could be coming to F1. But he has a history of throwing it up the inside and if the pressure to perform is high, there could be shattered carbon fiber. Not saying it will happen, but it surely could.

Not to mention it doesn't take a lot to be labelled a crasher in F1. Kobayashi had only 1-2 crashes a year in F1, and still some people considered him a crasher.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 23:58 (Ref:3281668)   #20
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Look, he's certainly not the worst thing that could be coming to F1. But he has a history of throwing it up the inside and if the pressure to perform is high, there could be shattered carbon fiber. Not saying it will happen, but it surely could.

Not to mention it doesn't take a lot to be labelled a crasher in F1. Kobayashi had only 1-2 crashes a year in F1, and still some people considered him a crasher.
What constitutes 'a history' in this case?
I know of his move (and I use the word 'move' very loosely) at the end of FR3.5 last year, but does that one stupid move really mean he has 'a history'?
I'm not familiar with his pre-3.5 days so for all I know he may have been horrendous before then, but he won whatever title preceded his 3.5 campaign so he can't have been that bad, right?
Old 26 Jul 2013, 07:53 (Ref:3281760)   #21
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
but he won whatever title preceded his 3.5 campaign so he can't have been that bad, right?
He won the Formula BMW Europe, 2.0 Eurocup and 3.5 titles in 3 years, not too shabby I'd say.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 08:40 (Ref:3281776)   #22
Beryl
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
What constitutes 'a history' in this case?
I know of his move (and I use the word 'move' very loosely) at the end of FR3.5 last year, but does that one stupid move really mean he has 'a history'?
I'm not familiar with his pre-3.5 days so for all I know he may have been horrendous before then, but he won whatever title preceded his 3.5 campaign so he can't have been that bad, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFjayMgWskk

He made another late dive that weekend on Nasr, but Nasr let him through generously. There's also his dive on Richelmi in Bahrain that caused damage. I also don't like the way he drove Calado off the track at Silverstone and he had a few unsavory incidents last year in FR3.5 as well. I'm hesitant to sweep it all under the rug, and maybe it's nothing to worry about and he'll be fine in F1, but I don't know.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 00:00 (Ref:3282045)   #23
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFjayMgWskk

He made another late dive that weekend on Nasr, but Nasr let him through generously. There's also his dive on Richelmi in Bahrain that caused damage. I also don't like the way he drove Calado off the track at Silverstone and he had a few unsavory incidents last year in FR3.5 as well. I'm hesitant to sweep it all under the rug, and maybe it's nothing to worry about and he'll be fine in F1, but I don't know.
Any series that starts reverse grid rubbish is inviting this type of driving!

Silly move granted, though in F1 he would probably have been considered alongside, where Bird would have been expected to go, I don't know!
Old 25 Jul 2013, 21:06 (Ref:3281624)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i wouldn't call him a bold move merchant, more of an overly defensive driver. that said i would share the same hesitations - if he didn't chill out a bit it could get a bit nasty in the press. particularly since he's fairly prickly about his own driving.

the question would be whether it would be a waste of his f1 debut and the chance to make a good impression, or whether it would be his *only* chance at making a f1 debut. i think the sauber is a good enough car to be worth the gamble on his part, and his teammate wouldn't wipe the floor with him so if it was a possibility then it's probably worth grabbing with both hands.

of course it's all totally academic unless hulkenberg sods off elsewhere.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 05:19 (Ref:3281721)   #25
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
There is only ONE REASON Nico should go. He's quite a good driver, probably underrated, and fast, too. Frijns is just too big of a risk: as was said before, he could become the next "crash kid"... an exact repeat of Gutierrez.

The reason he should go is this: he's too good to be marooned in a team like Sauber. He deserves a Ferrari seat. Esteban would be best to go back to GP2 or maybe do IndyCar or Formula E...