Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Dec 2011, 19:38 (Ref:3002864)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
HSCC 'Martini Trophy with Supersports'

Copy of a release from HSCC:-

Martini Trophy and Supersports Link-up for 2012

The Martini Trophy and the International Supersports Cup will join forces in
2012 to create an even stronger race series for 2-litre sports-racing cars
under the management of the Historic Sports Car Club.
Following a recent meeting in London between Silvio and Angela Kalb from
Supersports and Grahame White from the HSCC, an agreement was reached
to bring the two series together and offer a superb programme of racing for
next year.
The revised series, to be titled the Martini Trophy with Supersports, will enjoy
a five-event, 10-race schedule at high-profile historic race meetings. The
series will be managed by the HSCC from its office at Silverstone.
The cut-off date will remain as per the Martini regulations, for 2-litre sportsracing
cars produced prior to the end of 1978 and as previously announced,
some closed cockpit cars will be encouraged, notably Chevron B8s, B16s. For
the Hockenheim race only Can-Am and big-engined sports will be eligible to
race, but from then on it will be restricted to 2-litre cars only.
“This is best news for a long time for 2-litre sports car racing,” said Grahame
White. “We have been talking about working together for some time so I’m
delighted that agreement has been reached, the future looks really bright.”

The provisional calendar for the Martini Trophy with Supersports is:

Hockenheim Jim Clark Memorial (Germany) 14/15 April
Silverstone International Trophy 19/20 May
Brands Hatch Super Prix 30 June/1 July
Oulton Park Gold Cup 26/27 August
Dijon (France) 6/7 October
For more details about the HSCC, please visit www.hscc.org.uk
Old 21 Dec 2011, 20:20 (Ref:3002879)   #2
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dropped off some wishbones (from an obscure Eastern European car) for plating on Monday night...

That's a nice calendar.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 21:01 (Ref:3002904)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I dropped off some wishbones (from an obscure Eastern European car) for plating on Monday night...

That's a nice calendar.
Thanks for that Alan. Mmmmmm, shiny bits.........
Old 27 Dec 2011, 05:31 (Ref:3004429)   #4
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't really understand what this tie-up with Supersports means? Does it widen the eligibility dates?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 08:45 (Ref:3004451)   #5
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roger. The idea is to increase grid sizes and to try and attract more continental entries.Supersports was finished after Hockenheim(hence the big bangers for final time)NO change in regulations. Some cars will require "de hot rodding" I assume.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 10:23 (Ref:3004466)   #6
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Walker View Post
Roger. The idea is to increase grid sizes and to try and attract more continental entries.Supersports was finished after Hockenheim(hence the big bangers for final time)NO change in regulations. Some cars will require "de hot rodding" I assume.
Its a shame about the big bangers. I can hear the flapping of little grey wings as a few pigeons come home to roost. Early, ie pre-aero, and small-block iron engined (and I mean all-iron as in heads too) Can-Am cars sprinkled amongst the grid would surely add a little spice to proceedings. Unfortunately Can-Am owners cant help using all available current technology. I was at Mallory Park testing my 1967 Lola T160 last year and a prominent Preparer wandered over for a chat. When he saw my heads were iron he clearly thought I was deranged. As for using original dampers, well thats bordering on irresponsible!

I suppose the easy way round it is to just not invite them. I suppose if you limited them to pre 1970, and strict engine limits (ie 5 litre and all iron?) you would nt get enough entries to be worth it?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 13:58 (Ref:3004509)   #7
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
History repeats itself? shame it has happened so quickly for FIA 2litre 'style'cars.Numbers+ = grids = £/$/solvency for the orgnisers.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 15:40 (Ref:3004537)   #8
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But pukka Can-Am cars of the golden late 60s/early 70s pre-Porsche 917 certainly weren't 5 litre, and many were not all-iron.

The perennial problem rears its ugly little head yet again!
Old 27 Dec 2011, 16:36 (Ref:3004553)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Don't forget the CanAm cars are only invited to the Hockenheim race. Rest are 2 litre limit......
Old 28 Dec 2011, 08:43 (Ref:3004732)   #10
Ted Walker
Veteran

Its going to remain a 2 Litre championship. I dont understand p261BRMs comments ????????
Old 28 Dec 2011, 21:35 (Ref:3004933)   #11
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its going to remain a 2 Litre championship. I dont understand p261BRMs comments ????????
Try this Ted, No entries= no income= no race series, the very reason 2ltr sports racing went in period, different circumstances maybe, but the end result the same, I can remember in 1972, the lack of entries/spectator income being given as the excuse at one round of the FIA 2ltr in France, no start money would be paid, Mr Kreisky prevailed upon the mayor....with success. The BIG bangers will add more entries, so ensure the continuation of the Martini in whatever guise, and that can only be good for those who have spent a great deal of money/time in keeping these cars in safe and serviceble trim, they are not a cheap form of motorsport, even dear John Bridges admitted defeat in 73. and that was with the very generous levels of 'start money' paid as one poster once commented, have a different memory of that being the case.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 08:44 (Ref:3005069)   #12
Ted Walker
Veteran

The HSCC are trying to re create the 2 LITRE European Sports Car Series NOT REPEAT NOT SUPERSPORTS or CAN AM
Old 29 Dec 2011, 13:05 (Ref:3005136)   #13
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
The HSCC are trying to re create the 2 LITRE European Sports Car Series NOT REPEAT NOT SUPERSPORTS or CAN AM
Spot on, super, I for one want it to be a success, then why oh why are supersports in the race at Hockenheim? Other than to increase the entry.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 14:11 (Ref:3005155)   #14
Chris Sharples
Rookie

Chris Sharples should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Ted will tell you we (HSCC) were happy with our first year with the Martini Trophy. Grids were fine (for a first year) but of course we want to see them grow in 2012.

We know of a few more cars in preparation, plus with the agreement of the current drivers we have opened up the regulations to allow closed cars such as the Chevron B16, B8 and Lotus 47. (You could argue that we should have done this from the outset. John Turner certainly did!).

For a number of years Silvio Kalb has done a brilliant job running the Supersports Cup. This series allowed 2 litre, DFV cars and Can Am cars to run together. On the whole the 2 litre cars running with Silvio did not run with Martini and vice versa.

For 2012 Silvio has decided he will not be continuing to run Supersports. As you know our ambitions are all to do with the 2 litre cars. Having been good friends with Silvio for many years the HSCC has agreed that we will now work together to provide a quality 2 litre European championship. The provisional calendar is as in Mike's post above;

Hockenheim Jim Clark Memorial (Germany) 14/15 April
Silverstone International Trophy 19/20 May
Brands Hatch Super Prix 30 June/1 July
Oulton Park Gold Cup 26/27 August
Dijon (France) 6/7 October

In conversation with Silvio we decided that, as a tribute to the work he has put in through the years, at Hockenheim we will run a combined grid.
It is a once off and just a bit of a celebration. For us its not about boosting grids or being 'commercial'. It is a way of saying thank you to Silvio and we hope many of our members will turn out.

Chris Sharples
Old 30 Dec 2011, 12:32 (Ref:3005498)   #15
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Brilliant, thank you Mr.Sharples, and one hopes all cars entered comply with the period specified......
Old 8 Apr 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3230773)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I correct in thinking that Classic Clubmans cars (Mallocks and the like) are now eligible for the Martini Trophy, and raced at the HSCC Easter Thruxton meeting?

Must be one of the cheapest ways in to high(ish) profile hstoric events.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3231040)   #17
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Am I correct in thinking that Classic Clubmans cars (Mallocks and the like) are now eligible for the Martini Trophy, and raced at the HSCC Easter Thruxton meeting?
My understanding is that the Clubmans cars that raced at Thruxton (of which I think there were three) were entries for the Derek Bell Trophy races, which when canned were moved over to the Martini races.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3231075)   #18
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see, thanks. Not exactly Group 6 but nevertheless an interesting addition to grid; not out of place. And good performance too. I think Ray Mallock came 4th overall and Mark Charteris was running 3rd until he ran out of fuel.

Possibly more in keeping with the sports car racing than the Derek Bell Trophy?
Old 8 Apr 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3231175)   #19
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And good performance too. I think Ray Mallock came 4th overall and Mark Charteris was running 3rd until he ran out of fuel
The above are the results of Race 1; in the second encounter, Mallock was second, with Charteris completing the podium in third.

Quote:
Possibly more in keeping with the sports car racing than the Derek Bell Trophy?
I would agree, although Clubmans cars do have a history of competing in single seater races.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 22:06 (Ref:3231182)   #20
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I would agree, although Clubmans cars do have a history of competing in single seater races.
They used to take the mudguards off and run as Formula 3s. I think also as Formula Fords but not 100% sure of the latter.
Old 9 Apr 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3231338)   #21
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Mallocks do have history in single seaters, inc F Junior and F Ford, but I think these were also sans rear wheel enclosing bodywork as well.

The ones that now enter Derek Bell are interesting as they are the A Class Classic Clubmans cars with, as you say, just the front wheel "mud guards" removed but with the rear bodywork I think. They put the "mud guards" back on for Clubmans racing.

When I investigated whether I could do something similar with F Ford engined car (Classic Clubmans Class B) and Monoposto 1600 (or indeed with a Vauxhall engined car for Clubmans Proto and Monoposto 2000) I was told by Monoposto that this contravened the blue book for single seaters as the car wasn't symmetrical. Shame.

Sorry for being O/T. Great cars - quick (as shown by their performance in the Martini - thanks for the extra result info BTW) and great value for money. I hope that they get the chance to do more races with the Martini crowd - any chance?
Old 9 Apr 2013, 17:38 (Ref:3231609)   #22
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
Clubmans cars have been eligible for more recent single seater races - thinking back a few years, I'm sure that they were eligible for BARC (SE) Single Seater races and CTCRC Open Single Seaters (when they ran a number of meetings on the Stowe circuit in 2007). I can't remember if anyone actually ever raced such a car.

Quote:
The ones that now enter Derek Bell are interesting as they are the A Class Classic Clubmans cars with, as you say, just the front wheel "mud guards" removed but with the rear bodywork I think. They put the "mud guards" back on for Clubmans racing.
The DBT cars do compete with their rear wings in place; but have to remove any detachable mud guards. As the bulk of the cars that compete have bodywork surrounding their rear wheels, this ruling generally only applies to the front wheels.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 05:34 (Ref:3231827)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Clubmans cars have been eligible for more recent single seater races - thinking back a few years, I'm sure that they were eligible for BARC (SE) Single Seater races and CTCRC Open Single Seaters (when they ran a number of meetings on the Stowe circuit in 2007). I can't remember if anyone actually ever raced such a car.
Yes, I remember that as I raced in a few of those when I had a F Vauxhall. I remember racing against 3 of them - Marcus Bicknell was one, Mike Hickman(?) another maybe and can't remember the third one.