Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 1 Jul 2006, 01:33 (Ref:1645428)   #1
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oil cooler placement

There is a diagram somewhere that tells you the optimal placement of an oil cooler in relation to the water radiator.

Anybody got it?

I'd appreciate the "in front of" distances and their relative efficiencies.

Thanks.
Old 1 Jul 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1645600)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it doesn't answer your question, but wherever possible i try my hardest to make sure its to one side rather than infront of the rad, therfore maximising cooling potiential of both

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 1 Jul 2006, 23:54 (Ref:1645932)   #3
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto, no answers, but an air flow separator makes a huge difference to the performance, as does "boxing" the sides in
Old 2 Jul 2006, 09:27 (Ref:1646076)   #4
GordonG
Racer

GordonG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you *must* locate the oil cooler in front of/behind the water rad, I believe it needs to be as close as possible (1mm or so) - any air gap between the 2 will cause the air to stagnate and dtop the flow through both.

Then you need to look at ducting air in and just as importantly but rarely seen) ducting it out - ensuring that the exit of the coolers sees a low pressure area.

G
Old 3 Jul 2006, 08:26 (Ref:1647088)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
mine overlaps the water rad very slightly, but is very close to it also in the front/rear plane, seems to be ok though

I had an interesting conversation with an Ex Vuauxhall test engineer recently who worked with Bill Blydenstein in the 70's and they said with the race Chove-its they did wind tunnel testing to sort cooling problems and ensuring a good flow through the engine bay and under the car made a huge difference

lifting the bonnet invariably causes underbonnet swirl, and makes matters worse. just another thing to consider. . . akong with directional ducting up front
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1647535)   #6
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got off my butt and phoned Mocal. They confirmed that the oil cooler should be against, but not behind, the radiator. Or better still nowhere near it.

Could explain my oil cooling problems over the last 6 years!

Still I now have an oil cooler the size of most cars radiators so don't expect any more problems.

And it looks like my current overheating and power loss problems may have been due to -

- Me playing with the fuel regulator and/or my pump being on it's way out.
- Either my current data logged speeds or my previous data logged speeds being complete cobblers.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1647899)   #7
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
carsreunited should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine actually sits on the inner wing and doesn't have the air duct you see in the picture anymore. So far, I've yet to see the oil temp go over 95 degrees in 14 laps. Mines only a 13 row cooler and i have a 19 row coller ready to go in if it needs it.

The inner wing has 5 or so inch diameter holes cut into it directly below the cooler so it may get some air passing up and through. It does the job so I'm not overly fussed.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...0AaNWbZs5ZsWLA

Scott
Dolomite Sprint #86, 2006 CTCRC Post Historic CHAMPIONSHIP
Old 4 Jul 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1647938)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um,

Has that been passed by scrutineering? IIRC you cannot cut the bodywork to provide additional cooling. But the regs may have changed.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1647950)   #9
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
Sillhoette I believe Peter so outer bodywork.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1647960)   #10
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
Although it does say that all internal panels and sub assemblies must remain as originally manufactured, so I'm probably in breach of the regs again. I'll tape over the holes just in case as I don't think it makes any difference.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1647962)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um,

I think you got my drift.