Old 7 Feb 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2123644)   #1
Allan Craighead
Rookie

Canada
Cambridge, Canada
Allan Craighead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Merger Imminent?

Hey gang,

Just a heads up, but multiple discussion boards, as well as sources within the industry are stating the split is finally over, with merger announcement expected very very shortly. While we have heard this before, sounds pretty good this time. We'll wait and see.

Cheers,

Al.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 23:33 (Ref:2123679)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There have been a few rumours floating about, Conquest and Walker to Indycar for one, on the other hand there is talk of a major announcement upcoming.

It isn't really much to go on (zero sources!) and I won't get my hopes up, but let's see anyways...
Old 8 Feb 2008, 00:11 (Ref:2123695)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
There have been a few rumours floating about, Conquest and Walker to Indycar for one, on the other hand there is talk of a major announcement upcoming.

It isn't really much to go on (zero sources!) and I won't get my hopes up, but let's see anyways...
Walker and Conquest aren't going anywhere.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 00:18 (Ref:2123702)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well no, I wouldn't ideally think so.

But with the situation at present, I'd rule nothing out.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 03:44 (Ref:2123792)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Believe it when i see it. Like to see it, only believe it when I see it though.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 Feb 2008, 05:36 (Ref:2123809)   #6
jonesi
Rookie

jonesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out Miller's new column at Speed, only been up for about an hour.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...peace-at-hand/
Old 8 Feb 2008, 09:00 (Ref:2123884)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Walker and Conquest aren't going anywhere.
Well it would be a shame if all the others move out and they don't
Old 8 Feb 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2123901)   #8
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesi
Check out Miller's new column at Speed, only been up for about an hour.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...peace-at-hand/
It would be great, if CC and IRL will unite... only thing I can express sorrow for is the supposed use of IRL Dallaras instead of CC Panozes... I can't understand, what is the point of using old and soon-to-be-replaced IRL chassis (recent Indystar article said, the change will be in 2010) instead of new Panoz.

Overall, it must be huge logistical and organizational effort... kinda like cancellation of 2008 Dakar rally only a few hours before it went underway. Hopefully, all the parties from IRL and ChampCar can survive such transition (I would not hold my breath though, especially regarding small teams like Conquest or Dale Coyne)
Old 8 Feb 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2123972)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Toropov
It would be great, if CC and IRL will unite... only thing I can express sorrow for is the supposed use of IRL Dallaras instead of CC Panozes... I can't understand, what is the point of using old and soon-to-be-replaced IRL chassis (recent Indystar article said, the change will be in 2010) instead of new Panoz.

Provided panoz is no more brand-new, the reason is simple:
IRL can provide every CC team with Dallara chassis within a few weeks, after all it's about finding 14 chassis (the used cars market is very large, given the model age)

On the other side, can CC find 70 panoz cars within Indy500? Obviously not

More over, I have to guess that if the series merge this year, the new chassis release will be anticipated to 2009

Last edited by climb; 8 Feb 2008 at 11:16.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2123980)   #10
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fingers crossed people, fingers crossed. I too will believe when i see it but atleast things sound positive.

I would prefer the use of Panoz just because i believe the Panoz is a better looking car (i'm swayed pretty easy).

Would you really need 70 cars when half of the nobodies that fill the final 6 rows won't be required???? It may sound harsh but the grid depth in the 500 has been ordinary for the past 5 years atleast IMO
Old 8 Feb 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2124005)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

We need a car that can run on ovals. The Panoz isn't ideal for that.

I quite like the look of the Indycar's BTW. They aren't classically good looking, but they have a touch of the old school about them.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2124007)   #12
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20027.html

More reports. Hallelujah...the end is in sight.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2124009)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks like this is it! Not holding my breath of course, but if it's going it happen it's now or never.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2124010)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I am stoked, this looks like it really could be the end if they can just sort the dates out.

Finally it seems both sides are accepting failure to get on the road to success.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2124032)   #15
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A couple of more articles on this:

http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...bXKHapBKVY_nnw
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html...rder=0&thold=0

It would appear that the Long Beach/Motegi clash is the only sticking point. TG is flying to Japan on Monday to try and convince them to move the race to later in the season. I'm sure the folks at Honda (who own the track) will see just how big this is and make a deal. What do they want? About 20 cars this April or maybe 35+ later in the year?

Another point - I'm sure Honda will have lost some revenue since they lost a permanent F1 race at Suzuka. A merged US Open Wheel series could easily be just as big in motorsport mad Japan as F1. C'mon Honda, you know it makes sense!
Old 8 Feb 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2124034)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow! There have been rumours, but didn't think it was this close to happening.

Despite all that has been said, I hope they finally see sense and do it. The war needs to end.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2124038)   #17
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
With the money they make with engines, they should easily find an arrangement; after all it's not about dropping the race, but just displacing it!

I expect an announcement to be made by today (in the USA timezone of course)

Ehy Mods!

Prepare and be ready to merge the CC and IRL fora!

Last edited by climb; 8 Feb 2008 at 12:34.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2124064)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Honda want this merger as much as anybody, they will find a way to move that Motegi date. It will be tricky, but this will not block anything in the end I'm sure.

I'm pumped over this, surely we won't be left disappointed?
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2124068)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Well it would be a shame if all the others move out and they don't
I'm sorry but I just have to laugh!
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2124072)   #20
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope they don't cock it up this time.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65044
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2124075)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Even if in the unlikley event of Honda not willing to play ball on this one (and why wouldn't they?!) It won't be the end of the world. If they CC teams already have thier Panoz cars, maybe they can run an exhibition race at Long Beach as a farewell before a proper merge with the IRL in time for what will be one of the best - and most important - Indy 500s in years.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2124077)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there's a merger it will be the best days of our lives! Just think, if all the CC teams come over along with the IRL teams, that's easierly over 30 cars. Just like the old days before the split or early split for both IRL and CART. I also think a merged series will show a lot of people to make new teams and join 'the Indy Car World Series' as its a hell of a lot more easier to run in a unified series then two split ones were no new names join.

Just think, the Indy 500 would have a very strong grid, the bumping! Stories and articles such as this bring strong reassurance. I mean if Robert Clarke from Honda is going to fly to Motegi to try get the date switched it shows how serious they are. It just has to happen. If it don't stuff 'em!

As for it may not be 100% 50/50, at the end of the day I'm not bothered we all just want a merged series.

Last edited by luke; 8 Feb 2008 at 13:12.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:21 (Ref:2124087)   #23
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
we all just want a merged series.
Yeah, it'll unify the boards here too Luke. Hallelujah.

C'mon guys, don't nobody screw this up.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2124091)   #24
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds like the details are done with the exception of Long Beach/Motegi. There'll be some way they'll figure that one out, IMO. One series again....I hope.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2124096)   #25
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My only beef with this is it sounds like it would be Long Beach + IRL schedule. If thats the case I'll stop following if we don't see classic CART tracks like Laguna, RA, Cleveland and Toronto