Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jun 2012, 23:42 (Ref:3095697)   #1
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian Owned Teams, WHERE ARE YOU?

Where are the Australian owned teams?

TeamVodafone driver Jamie Whincup currently leads, Will Davison (Ford Performance Racing) is second, Mark Winterbottom (FPR) third and Team Vodafone’s Craig Lowndes fourth, and both are British owned.

Looking further, the next three cars are from Stone Brothers Racing, with Shane van Gisbergen fifth, Lee Holdsworth sixth and Tim Slade seventh, and for that matter the Stone Brothers are Kiwi’s.

Eighth in the championship is Garth Tander in the Holden Racing Team Commodore, and that is owned by the Walkinshaw Group, which of course is British.

To find the first real Australian owned team, you must go all the way down to the ninth placed Fabian Coulthard in the Lockwood Racing Holden, as part of the Albury based Brad Jones Racing team, and you could not get much more Aussie than that.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 00:05 (Ref:3095703)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Isnt the slade car an australian owned team that is being run by SBR
Old 21 Jun 2012, 03:45 (Ref:3095738)   #3
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roland Dane was born in Australia I believe. He doesn't like him or his team being referred to as a non-Australian team.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 04:41 (Ref:3095741)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
While originally affiliated with champion British Touring Car Championship race team Triple 8 Race Engineering, the Roland Dane run team is now fully independent of its British ancestry
from wikipedia, place your own value on it
Old 21 Jun 2012, 05:49 (Ref:3095751)   #5
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksie View Post
Roland Dane was born in Australia I believe. He doesn't like him or his team being referred to as a non-Australian team.
I thought he was from Ireland (Nth maybe?)

in any case they are fully fledged company that doesn't answer to 888 in the Mother Country
Old 21 Jun 2012, 05:58 (Ref:3095753)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
he is definately not australian born, But likes to consider himself an Aussie
Old 21 Jun 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3095877)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are a load of Australians in the V8Supercar industry, in V8SA, in the teams, in the driving pool... Not sure what difference where a REC holder was born...

As an aside... does it change the way your fingers touch the keyboard to know that this site is owned & operated out of Ireland, running off servers located somewhere in continental Europe? Here's hoping not...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 Jun 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3095909)   #8
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There are a load of Australians in the V8Supercar industry, in V8SA, in the teams, in the driving pool... Not sure what difference where a REC holder was born...

As an aside... does it change the way your fingers touch the keyboard to know that this site is owned & operated out of Ireland, running off servers located somewhere in continental Europe? Here's hoping not...
Agree with this. Does it really matter? If you think it does, then I believe that's a real shame...
Old 21 Jun 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3096161)   #9
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Danoz just has the feeling that Aussie owend race teams have lost their way for want of a better expresion. During the International Group A Era, Gricey and HDT went to Europe and were very competative, DJR built the fastest Sierras in the world, and Gibson's built the faststest GTR's in the world. But in the current 'Aussie' category, the series has been dominated by Overseas owed/run teams for over a decade !!!. I think the feeling is that no one seems to be able to put a car together with 'a bit of Aussie know how' even though most of the employees are Aussies reporting ??? to a European parent company.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3096172)   #10
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems a natural development of capitalism/globalisation.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3096177)   #11
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit hard on SBR. The Stone Brothers have been around Oz motorsport for a long time.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 00:24 (Ref:3096184)   #12
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Trev, exactly, even though I did mess up with 888. At my age I am allowed to make mistakes.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 00:50 (Ref:3096185)   #13
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would see a point IF the teams were fully staffed by overseas operations. The fact that you have a Team like Prodrive or Triple 8 or Walkinshaw being an overseas entity means nothing IMHO. Majority of their staff are Aussies, working in the Australian (for now) Championship. If anything it's an advantage as some of the Aussie guys can make contacts overseas if they wish to venture out of our small pond into the bigger ocean of motorsport.