Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Jan 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1512248)   #1
awegrzyn
Racer

awegrzyn has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
LPM1 car owned by the fans.

What would happen if we fans would create an ALMS team?
All we have to do is to create a fund. Chip in. Ask sponsors to add few bucks.
Buy a car. Give the car to a given team. The team would run and maintain the car.
We would vote on the particular drivers we want to race and there it is.

We could easily establish a front running LMP team.

Andrzej
Old 30 Jan 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1512301)   #2
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds so easy, doesn't it?

However, once you've found the money to buy the car, you then have to find the equivalent again to run it for the season. And then a bit more for your engine rebuilds and leases. And a bit more just in case of a shunt (Budget in for at least one complete write off, just to be sure for the season).

Then a bit more for tyres, fuel, entry fees...

You'd need an awful lot of fans with very deep pockets.
The theory is great, the practicalities, unfortunately, are not.
Old 30 Jan 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1512316)   #3
wishIcouldRace
Rookie

wishIcouldRace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And all work on the car could be accomplished in virtual reality by entering words into a web forum . The car set-ups could be had by posting technical questions on to a network of web forums in a quest for the political correct action. Members could even post intensely important clarification issues concerning the accepted procedures for use of tools and have fun critisizing eachouther for speelling and punctuation . There would be a vote to resolve all issues and then create fifteen page forum debates to determine who is flaming who. If by chance something could be actually be put together, the members would end up being committed to a rehab program due to withdrawal conditions attributed actually having to work instead of playing on the internet on your employers nickel, dime, quarter, dollar, or whatever

Play Station starts looking pretty good, right?
Old 30 Jan 2006, 23:42 (Ref:1512345)   #4
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You never know it could work if you got enough fans you might be able to raise enough money.it kind a rteminds me a bit of Jan Lammers at Lemans in 2001.
If this is an ALMS car a group like this should team up with Panoz and maybe use the elan V8.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 03:18 (Ref:1512430)   #5
awegrzyn
Racer

I have done this once with a construction project, where we were able to build a pool and have a swimming team. This is on a bigger scale, but I see it possible. If 1000 fans gets together it seems very realistic as a matter of fact. I don't think the money would be the problem at that point, but the management of the project.

Maybe ALMS should propose this in order to build up grids. They sponsored Porsche in order to create buzz around ALMS. Think how much interest would be generated if ALMS proposed to run 2 cars if the fans buy them.

I don't think I'm dreaming here. A lot of projects runs this way.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 04:48 (Ref:1512447)   #6
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awegrzyn
. If 1000 fans gets together it seems very realistic as a matter of fact. ...

I don't think I'm dreaming here. A lot of projects runs this way.
1000 Fans to spend 1000$ each?
This would be the sum we are talking about - if we nail down an LMP1-team.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 05:44 (Ref:1512456)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Eins
1000 Fans to spend 1000$ each?
This would be the sum we are talking about - if we nail down an LMP1-team.

That would get you a chassis, but not much more.

Double that on the cheap, if you had to buy a new chassis. More, much more if you wanted to be competitive.

So awegrzyn, what type of chassis do you propose...and given this is your grand plan, how are you going about to get this started?
Old 31 Jan 2006, 06:06 (Ref:1512462)   #8
awegrzyn
Racer

As far as management the key here would be to partner with ALMS. They want to boost the series. We want a team. They are desperate now, so we're helping them. Look at the confirmed entries for Sebring. We do not manage anything. We fund it.

As far as chassis goes this is my idea: ALMS would build a brand new car (maybe a new Panoz). We would agree to buy the first two cars. They could even build more if there are buyers. Multimatic or someone would run the cars under the "Fans" name. Very common these days in motorsports.

BTW Panoz has done this with Multimatic before, where cars were "given" to a team in exchange for joining the series and development of the cars.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1512509)   #9
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Chassis would be easy: Riley closed LMP1 with Cosworth V8 turbo Finding the budget is impossible.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1512542)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Its a wonderful dream, but to make it work you would realistically need about $1.5million per year so to keep the individual contributions to a realistic $500 USD per year you would need 3000 people to commit that much per year. Unfortunately its unlikely that you would find that many.

However if you do, put me down - But only if you bring it to europe!!
Old 31 Jan 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1512547)   #11
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Involve the ACO, get them to add £1 ( $1.5 Dollars ) to each ticket for the Le Mans 24 hours and straight away you have £100,000 ( $150,000 ) towards your budget. Pipedream maybe, but crazier ideas have come to fruition if seen through with enough passion and enthusiasm. ( eg The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. This was built with ordinary peoples money, because the authorities didn't believe it was possible ).
Old 31 Jan 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1512556)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It might be possible IMO if it were planned properly and legally, of course. If this idea was to ever get off the ground I could probably find £1,500 or so. First off what we would need is a high interest savings account and start a fund and build on it whilst the planning was continued. The idea could happen if it was thought through properly IMO and had some sort of "commitee" - at the very least it could perhaps be looked into.

That said the idea is unlikely ever to get off the ground unfortunatly and this idea will probably fizzle out. A shame, because if done properly Im sure it could be done somehow. Perhaps not a LMP 1 effort, but what about a GT2 car? Would be lots cheaper than a LMP 1 effort and would be something to build on and of course eligable for the big 3 series, LMS/FIA GT/ALMS.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1512711)   #13
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Perhaps not a LMP 1 effort, but what about a GT2 car? Would be lots cheaper than a LMP 1 effort and would be something to build on and of course eligable for the big 3 series, LMS/FIA GT/ALMS.
So, if LMP1 was a little too costly and we've now dropped down three classes to GT2 due to budgetry constraints, there's a nice little runner for sale here.........
Old 31 Jan 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1512750)   #14
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Morgan! Experienced machine but we will need to classify it (do more laps than they did in 2004 in LM)
Old 31 Jan 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1512837)   #15
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If LMP1 is out of the question, what about LMP2...?

Something to take up larger chunks of the funding would be to find a few sponsors - perhaps one or two of the companies the fans work for may be interested in the project...?
Old 31 Jan 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1512859)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
If LMP1 is out of the question, what about LMP2...?

Something to take up larger chunks of the funding would be to find a few sponsors - perhaps one or two of the companies the fans work for may be interested in the project...?
Probably and off the shelf Radical would be the most cost effective, and you may even talk the factory into running it.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1512872)   #17
awegrzyn
Racer

Add $5 to each ALMS ticket and build a Fanoz. People would pay to see more than 2 cars in LMP1.
Old 31 Jan 2006, 19:19 (Ref:1512959)   #18
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ya...companies we work for. So does the school I go to count?

I can see it now...The St Thomas University sponsored Radical.
I hope everyone like Green and Gold as the colors?
Old 31 Jan 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1512962)   #19
Aerodynamic
Rookie

Aerodynamic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fanoz - I like it!

Not sure about the R&S though - one of the MOST expensive cars out there, especially considering you would need to pay for tooling etc + unproven reliability.

How about a Zytek 04s (similar to Jota) - bullet proof engine, fairly cheap to run, not too costy to buy and is sh*t quick (in the right hands)........could run in conjunction with Nova Engineering...........

But the drivers.................................someone with some entertainment factor...........who would be free.................Herbert (quick and reliable)............Shimoda (seems ridiculously fast on any track!).............McNish(no need for comment ).........Salo(a comeback for the fans?).........ah the list goes on.

IM IN.........
Old 31 Jan 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1512964)   #20
wishIcouldRace
Rookie

wishIcouldRace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stand by my first reply.

But if you want the best effect for your investment do this.

Take up your collection.
create an award like "Webfans Favorite Team of the Year" and give it to them at at the end of the year based on proxy vote, (one-vote per $ invested) but only by those investing.

This would satisfy the webfans because teams would be kissing webhead butt on all these forums in hopes of winning the popularity contest. It might even ad to the incentive of the prize fund (putrid small current) and actually encourage more teame to enter. So instead of one new team you might actually entice three to enter competition.

Let your imaginations run wild from here.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 00:18 (Ref:1513141)   #21
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster
Ya...companies we work for. So does the school I go to count?

I can see it now...The St Thomas University sponsored Radical.
I hope everyone like Green and Gold as the colors?
If you read again I wrote one or two companies - I didn't mean it to apply to everyone...
Old 1 Feb 2006, 02:40 (Ref:1513186)   #22
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodynamic
Not sure about the R&S though - one of the MOST expensive cars out there, especially considering you would need to pay for tooling etc + unproven reliability.

How about a Zytek 04s (similar to Jota) - bullet proof engine, fairly cheap to run, not too costy to buy and is sh*t quick (in the right hands)........could run in conjunction with Nova Engineering...........
Just a few questions. I am curious as to what the cost of a Riley LMP1 is. What would it cost to run two for a year?

Now, this Zytek 04S business again. How exactly is one to be run in conjunction with Nova Engineering? Two of the JLMS races are direct conflicts, the other is close enough to make it difficult to get the car from Japan to Monterey in time to be done.

You could certainly do 5 races anyway, but not the full schedule.

Another point is that at least the Zytek is built, where as I don't think there are any Riley's in existance.

As far as reliability, Neither the Riley LMP1, Zytek Hybrid or Zytek LMP1 have any record to even start to think about. Of course, the Riley could run with a Zytek engine, which would make them about even in that department.

Given Riley's recent Daytona victory, it would seem they know how to put together cars, and make them reliable. Obviously Riley has a more proven track record over many years.

In all honesty, if I were personally trying to put together a program, with limited financial resources, I would either be looking at one of the more reasonable new chassis, or forging a partnership. Surely there is a manufacturer or two out there, looking to run their cars, who would foot part of the bill. I'd bet that a person who could fund less than $1 mil, could easily find themselves on the grid, with a car designed by capable and experienced people. The other place I'd be looking at would be the new Radical chassis, which will be very reasonable. That would be a look/wait/see how it goes out of the box, but Peter Ellerey is fairly experienced and capable.

Suffice to say, on a budget, I'd be suprised if you could hire a Salo, Shimoda, Herbert..... It certainly is an interesting idea to fund a team in this manner.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 04:25 (Ref:1513226)   #23
awegrzyn
Racer

I have a feeling some people don't see the deal here. This whole idea is nothing more than an ALMS team backuped by sponsors and by the fans. The budget would not be an issue here. This team would have more money than a regular ALMS team.

Just think about it like this. Fans chip in and give money to Intersport for example. For the exchange Intersport fills a second LMP1 car where the fans decide who the drivers are, what the color theme for the car is and etc. We get the publicity and things related.

A lot of teams want to fill a second entry along with the first car. It’s much cheaper to add a car to already existing racing program. Budget is not an issue here, just run the numbers.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 04:50 (Ref:1513232)   #24
Naruto
Racer

United States
Philadelphia, PA
Naruto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im For It I Got 1,000 To Spend
Old 1 Feb 2006, 05:04 (Ref:1513237)   #25
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fair enough. How much $ do you need from fans to put this together then?