Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Apr 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1890277)   #1
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Aguri - We can win in 2008

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58023

I love this team and its ambition! But an ambition to win in 2008 is, erm, incredible!

Just one flaw. If they are using the 06 Honda in 07, they will presumably have the 07 Honda in 08......................................... Damn!
Old 13 Apr 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1890302)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It´s easier to win when you can´t be bothered and/or can´t go to the expense to design your own car.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 10:47 (Ref:1890310)   #3
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theyre only using the RA106 this year from fear a rebranded RA107 would be too far.

They say that with the lower costs, their smaller workforce should be able to win, but ive always thought that in the case of RBR/STR and Honda/Super Aguri, it'll be the lead teams presumably better strategists, engineers, mechanics etc that'll extract more from an equal package. Super Aguri may well be able to have the pace to win (provided Honda do...) but theres a difference between that and actually winning
Old 13 Apr 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1890322)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regarding what I said, I´d say that I prefer Super Aguri to Toro Rosso because Toro Rosso is primarily a test team. Its existence as part of Red Bull is to help Red Bull in such things as extra votes in team meetings.

That´s not to say the people who work there, such as the mechanics, aren´t a dedicated bunch of racers. It´s such a shame though that one of the 12 team places is taken up by a team who don´t operate independently and just compete for themselves.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 11:11 (Ref:1890326)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27

Just one flaw. If they are using the 06 Honda in 07, they will presumably have the 07 Honda in 08......................................... Damn!
Maybe they'll get it when it's finally coming good.

And maybe Spyker will buy this years Ferrari chassis!
Old 13 Apr 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1890410)   #6
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Regarding what I said, I´d say that I prefer Super Aguri to Toro Rosso because Toro Rosso is primarily a test team. Its existence as part of Red Bull is to help Red Bull in such things as extra votes in team meetings.

That´s not to say the people who work there, such as the mechanics, aren´t a dedicated bunch of racers. It´s such a shame though that one of the 12 team places is taken up by a team who don´t operate independently and just compete for themselves.
If im not mistaken, the votes are now limited to a team from each country, and Toro Rosso thus lost their vote to Ferrari.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1890423)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If it means more competitive cars on the grid, I don't mind teams buying the cars of other teams. Historically there was no issue with it.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1890446)   #8
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Ryan_Briscoe1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
super aguri win in 2008? this guy is off his head. I cant stand super aguri, remember their driver who almost killed other drivers with his crazy driving, what was his name again? (not sato, tho probably fits the description aswell).I completely against super aguri and tossa rossa, unfair on teams like williams and spyker.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1890455)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Imagine a situation like when Panis won at Monaco. It's possible that SA could win. I'm not sure why they think heck will freeze in 2008, but clearly they have some of the second best minds working on it.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1890480)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
If it means more competitive cars on the grid, I don't mind teams buying the cars of other teams.
I´d also like to see more competitive cars, but only if they´ve achieved that state through the means of building their own cars. There´s enough lack of variation in the cars as it is without more than one team using the same car.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1890497)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Briscoe1
super aguri win in 2008? this guy is off his head. I cant stand super aguri, remember their driver who almost killed other drivers with his crazy driving, what was his name again? (not sato, tho probably fits the description aswell).I completely against super aguri and tossa rossa, unfair on teams like williams and spyker.
Yuji Ide was a danger and was swiftly removed.

To paint Sato in the same way is immensely insulting to Taku, I feel.

Nice reasons to hate a team though.

I'd be surprised if Aguri win in 2008. No, I'd be amazed actually. But who can fault ambition? It is nice toi have it around and hopefully this plucky team can pull off the impossible!
Old 13 Apr 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1890508)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
If it means more competitive cars on the grid, I don't mind teams buying the cars of other teams. Historically there was no issue with it.
Sounds entirely sane to me.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1890510)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
I´d also like to see more competitive cars, but only if they´ve achieved that state through the means of building their own cars. There´s enough lack of variation in the cars as it is without more than one team using the same car.
But why is building your own car so essential? To ensure the supposed exclusivity of F1?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1890515)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Look at their progression in 1 years compared to sister team BAR/Honda over 7 years which has slumped since 2004 (barring the fortuitous win in Hungary last year), then they have reason to be very optimistic.

A tight, well run organisation with people chomping at the bit for success stands a better chance than a overly funded over staffed firm with poor direction and people seemingly in a daze over how to pull themselves out of it.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1890524)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The corner shop mentality...
Old 13 Apr 2007, 16:25 (Ref:1890554)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think customer cars are a good idea, but the whole issue has been handled poorly. Bernie/FIA needed to have some kind of authority over when it happened so as to be fair to all of the teams.

Now that engines are less of a factor that's one major factor neutralized. I think it would make sense for lesser teams to work together in developing their cars. The manufacturers aren't going to go for that, but imagine something like a Williams/Red Bull alliance. With their combined resources and talent they could design a very good car and then field them seperately. I'm not sure if such a thing would ever occur with SA because they receive money from Honda.

I suspect that Toyota/Renault/Honda are going to be looking very closely at their customer engine situation for next year. They are all competing with their customers for points, and Toyota is in the embarasing situation of having a customer with a faster car. I suspect that in 2008 the customer engines from those teams will have a greater difference from the primary team engines. The Japanese manufacturers seem to have a lot of pride and I imagine that Honda in particular finds SA's strength embarassing.

Someone mentioned rumours of Cosworth returning to F1. If the customer engine situation changes I think it would make sense for the non-manufacturer teams to go to Cosworth. If you had Williams, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Spyker all paying Cosworth for engines, Cosworth would have a significant amount of R&D money to play with. I think a very strong engine could be built.

As it stands Williams is looking terrific this season. As possibly the #4 team, one can only imagine what they would do with an extra $100M at their disposal.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1890591)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
But why is building your own car so essential? To ensure the supposed exclusivity of F1?
Here´s one thread with some of my views on the matter:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=customer+cars

Nothing to do with exclusivity.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 17:21 (Ref:1890593)   #18
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

I don't just hate them for their drivers, but also the fact that they don't make their own cars and then beat other independant teams who build their own cars.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 17:35 (Ref:1890604)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
As it stands Williams is looking terrific this season.
I feel they may slip back a bit as the season goes on due to resources. It certainly happened last year. But they couldn´t really have had a much better start to the year, could they?
Old 13 Apr 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1890631)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Briscoe1
I don't just hate them for their drivers, but also the fact that they don't make their own cars and then beat other independant teams who build their own cars.
But in reality what real difference does running another chassis offer??

A team still has to fund it, sign 2 decent drivers, engineers and test and all that. It goes back to my earlier point about too many cooks and all that...

If a small team puts together a decent package with a little bit of 'off the shelf thinking', then that's clever in its own right.

Far cleverer in fact than spending loads of dough on designing a fancy car from sratch that doesn't work properly and demoralises everyone in the squad?

There's also a decent argument to suggest Honda will be enjoying watching how this Brackley v SAR battle unfolds over the year!! It may well shape what they dedide on doing in future and who with....
Old 13 Apr 2007, 20:07 (Ref:1890684)   #21
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

I'd be surprised if Aguri win in 2008. No, I'd be amazed actually. But who can fault ambition? It is nice toi have it around and hopefully this plucky team can pull off the impossible!
Totally agree. Sato has had some 'aggressiveness issues' and some 'errors in judgement' but is usually competent, fairly fast and often fun to watch.

Ide was a different story. He was truly awfull and quite dangerous. To himself, other drivers, pit crews, track workers, fans, anyone that didn't have a concrete wall between themselves and his car.

I think it would be a minor miracle for SA to win but it is CONCEIVABLE that they could finish ahead of Honda's factory team in the points! Now that would be funny!
Old 14 Apr 2007, 03:02 (Ref:1890820)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
My opinion of Sato has drastically improved at SA. You can't find a more motivated driver on the grid. He fights tooth and nail for every inch of road. Some of the drivers in the slow big teams seem to be disillusioned and don't try with everything they've got. When teams are in contention they don't want their drivers doing anything to risk points. F1 would be a lot more interesting with a field full of Satos.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 05:26 (Ref:1890846)   #23
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
But in reality what real difference does running another chassis offer??

A team still has to fund it, sign 2 decent drivers, engineers and test and all that. It goes back to my earlier point about too many cooks and all that...

If a small team puts together a decent package with a little bit of 'off the shelf thinking', then that's clever in its own right.

Far cleverer in fact than spending loads of dough on designing a fancy car from sratch that doesn't work properly and demoralises everyone in the squad?

There's also a decent argument to suggest Honda will be enjoying watching how this Brackley v SAR battle unfolds over the year!! It may well shape what they dedide on doing in future and who with....

I think you'll find the design of the chassis is a huge factor in the future performance of the car. Its a question of fairness for me. Williams and Spyker do the right thing and build their own car, as opposed super arguri and tossa rossa who buy their chassis from other teams. Its simly not fair for the other teams.
If a team wants to enter f1 then it should enter f1 with its OWN car. Its unfair on williams and syker who do the right thing and build their own car. How can customer car teams expect to receive constructor points when they didn't actually construct the cars themselves, they brought it from another team.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 06:52 (Ref:1890851)   #24
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to say - I agree with Ryan.

Constructors points should go to 'constructors'.

Perhaps we should introduce 'spongers' points for those who want to buy, not design their way.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 07:13 (Ref:1890855)   #25
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Spyker and Williams wont give a damn though when its their turn to interpret the rules for their benefit