Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 May 2007, 16:30 (Ref:1905109)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
reverse parking sensors...

ok, bit of a long shot here, but when an rac man was trying to break into my car for me he managed to trip out the rear parking sensors when he triggered the ignition. obviously i only discovered this a couple of days after when i nearly backed into someone in a car park...

is this likely to be related to the fuses, ie is it something i can sort out myself? or should i just get a spanner to have an engineering stare at it for a few hours? the car is a bmw 3 series 2002 model.
Old 2 May 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1905188)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fuses are the first thing to check, because it might be them and it is simple to check. Find the manual which tells you which fuse does what. Has anything else gone? Often more than one thing is on one fuse.

Alternatively learn to park.
Old 2 May 2007, 20:22 (Ref:1905322)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's just the sensors. which is extremely irritating. to kickstart the ignition, he had to use the reverse light wiring...

i can park. its the cars that can't in the car park and don't park within the lines i'm worried about

i just have to learn not to lock the keys in the car first...
Old 2 May 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1905366)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I fit a few of these parking sensors to customers cars, and it sounds like a feed wire off the unit. It picks up the feed from the reverse lamps. If the reverse lamps work look for a wire off or an inline fuse if its an aftermarket set.
Old 3 May 2007, 16:07 (Ref:1905889)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All my cars have reverse parking sensors- one on each front door and one in the top centre of the windscreen

Actually, I wish sometomes that we parking radar on the Previa simly because if there's a child or short person walking behind the car they can't be seen in the mirror, the blind spot there is huge, think I might fit a reversing beeper! (Although visibility is better than most vans I've driven!)
Old 3 May 2007, 16:34 (Ref:1905906)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yeah, that's one of the plus points in having sensors on mine - it's one of the daft hatchback ones, so like on your previa (but not to such a big extent) you can't see to trolley height, or bollard height, or yes, child height... the downside is that you get incredibly lazy - i just never bothered looking behind because anything imminent made the car go nuts.

which is why i'm eager to get it sorted, but would rather not lose the car for a day while they stand around and ponder. i'll have a look at the fuse box, which is conveniently in the glove box...
Old 3 May 2007, 18:54 (Ref:1906000)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Caution - lame American question:

Is this a Euro thing? I can't say that I've heard of anyone on this side of the pond talk about parking sensors. Maybe in the sense that they are included in some of the luxuary models. But not as an aftermarket add-on part.

Old 3 May 2007, 19:46 (Ref:1906040)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
nope, here they're included if not as standard then an option on pretty much most cars. we have much smaller car parks, and a far smaller country, even if we dont have cars the size of an oil tanker to reverse into the space

it's not the fuse. using the handy guide (and the tweezers included in their own special compartment...!) i extracted the fuse for the rear parking "aid" (oi), and it's intact. oh goodie.
Old 4 May 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1906856)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
This is clearly a serious problem. I think you should call out the RAC. Again.
Old 5 May 2007, 02:38 (Ref:1906907)   #10
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you follow the wires with a multimeter and see where voltage is getting to?