Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Sep 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3300956)   #1
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karting - Battenberg Flag

Had a great day at Kimbolton yesterday, 9 practices & 39 races all run between 10am & 6pm!
The Battenberg flag was used a couple of times and worked perfectly.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3301011)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remind me of that one? its not 'your hungry, pit for cake' is it?

Someone was waving a yellow and red striped one at Clay yesterday, christ knows what it meant but I crashed into someone whilst trying to recall what it was for...
Old 9 Sep 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3301015)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yellow & Black quartered!
Old 9 Sep 2013, 15:50 (Ref:3301041)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Like the undead, this zombie won't lie down.

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 9 Sep 2013 at 15:57.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3301087)   #5
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure the battenburg works fine at most circuits when the entire circuit can be seen from just about everywhere. Not many car circuits like that...though I guess Mallory is quite close .

Steve
Old 10 Sep 2013, 10:42 (Ref:3301414)   #6
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstick View Post
I'm sure the battenburg works fine at most circuits when the entire circuit can be seen from just about everywhere. Not many car circuits like that...though I guess Mallory is quite close .

Steve
but there are almost no circuits where a message can not be sent to all sectors/posts at the same time to issue the flag - then it becomes the post chief/observer/IO/team member to observe any infringements and report them.

ultimately, the time to cross the line will indicate excessive speed or advantage gained. After all, what would be the point of accelerating past or close up to the back of someone, and then returning to the status quo to cross a timing beam.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3301452)   #7
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
but there are almost no circuits where a message can not be sent to all sectors/posts at the same time to issue the flag - then it becomes the post chief/observer/IO/team member to observe any infringements and report them.

ultimately, the time to cross the line will indicate excessive speed or advantage gained. After all, what would be the point of accelerating past or close up to the back of someone, and then returning to the status quo to cross a timing beam.
Unless the rules for its use in karting are very different to when it was used for cars there is no status quo. You are specifically allowed to close up to the leader or pack. The trick is persuading the leader to go at a sensible speed (if he can work out that he is the leader) and then getting the rest to work out who to close up to.

Still we went through all this at some length in the recent discussion about the MSA proposed flagging changes so I'll give it up now.

Steve
Old 10 Sep 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3301467)   #8
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah yes, you are right, I was getting confused with the Code60 flag that came into the discussion. I'll go back to me horlicks...
Old 10 Sep 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3301489)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed it is the failure of drivers to close up the whole train (together with drivers being released from the pits and speeding round to catch the back of the train) which makes the battenberg potentially as little use as a poorly managed/implemented safety car. (But at least with a safety car the driver has the possibility of enforcing a catch up by slowing right down.)

But (as I may have mentioned before ) neither is needed if drivers would just obey the yellow flag. Simples!

Regards

Jim
Old 10 Sep 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3301519)   #10
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
But (as I may have mentioned before ) neither is needed if drivers would just obey the yellow flag. Simples!
And if they had reliable cars and would just stay on the track instead of attacking the scenery life would be even simples-er .

But I'm not holding my breath .

Steve
Old 11 Sep 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3302297)   #11
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
You'd think that with the Olympics and Chris Froome and Prince George that the name would be patriotically changed to the Mountbatten Flag.