Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 30 Jan 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2116972)   #101
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Very good choice, I'd say. The reason for the delay in the decision is that it's reached by a poll of the fans after the race, which is bound to take longer than someone making a decision on the day. I rather like the idea.
OK I'll bite, where do we put forward our picks
Old 30 Jan 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2117374)   #102
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
OK I'll bite, where do we put forward our picks
The clue is in that story to which you provided a link:

"With such a close spread of voting, it was predictable that there would be widespread and disparate opinion on A1GP.com’s Fan Zone."

I guess we go the Fan Zone straight after the race.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2117625)   #103
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Strider, found it finally.

Shelagh, still waiting on your down under report. Did ya have some fun? Where were you hiding? Highs, lows
Old 1 Feb 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2118162)   #104
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Shelagh, still waiting on your down under report. Did ya have some fun? Where were you hiding? Highs, lows
We only got back to UK yesterday and didn't really have chance to go onto Tenths while out there, so this is hot off the press.

Whole trip was fantastic and simply not long enough - we only really managed the centre/east of the North Island but still managed to cover about 1500km in the hire car (mostly up and down and twisty bits). The scenery was spectacular everywhere and what can I say about the weather! 31C on the Friday of the race meeting! Could have done without the wind and dust on the Saturday - my face felt like it had been scoured!

We spent the event working at Point 3 with Steve Collier, Charles Lloyd (both expats) and Matthew and had a wonderful time. Although we were looking after Turn 4, we had the braking zone into the new final corner just behind us - awesome stuff, especially the last NZ V8 race. Can't remember the last time I saw such carnage! We didn't do much for Team GB's performance, though! Have managed to watch the sprint race but sleep caught up so still got the main race to view.

Big thanks to Cathy for getting the passes to our Motel so they were there when we checked in and to both her and Rob for looking after us. It was great to meet everyone and we were made to feel very welcome - even if you all thought we were insane (and it really was meant as a joke that we don't do the Brands Hatch round because it is too far). Apologies for not catching many names etc - but there were quite a lot of marshals!

Ended up sitting next to 4 Portugese lads in a restaurant on Friday night, including Joao Urbano. Very impressed when we bumped into him on Sunday night and HE said hello to US and started a conversation. With manners like that the lad should go far!

We had such a good time at Taupo that Steve and Charles persuaded us to do the following Sunday at Pukekohe - we flagged at the hairpin. Historic meeting with F5000 and FJunior amongst others. Great racing, great cars and another great day. Again, we were impressed by how friendly and interested everyone was - even if they, too, thought we were mad!

Must also say thank you to Steve and Charles for looking after us so well. Charles gave us a bed on the Sunday after Pukekohe, took us sightseeing on Monday and gave us a lift to return the hire car - thus reducing the stress levels to zero. And, to top up a great Monday, we had a lovely barbecue at Steve's house and met his family.

Now coming back down to earth with a large "bump". Will start saving up so we can come back - as we didn't win a fortune on the Lotto!
Old 1 Feb 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2118560)   #105
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Very good and interesting report, Shelagh, thank you. I've always thought that if ever I were to take the major step of emigrating from this country, New Zealand would be the place to go (if they'd have me ), and what you say only reinforces that view.

Getting back to Eastern Creek, the rookie session times are here. The first half was wet, so the times you see were set in the second half. Good efforts by John Martin, although it is his home circuit, and Chris Alajajian.

The times from the first full session are here. More or less what you would expect, although Switzerland and Germany must be scratching their heads and Ireland even more so. Apparently they found a crack in the tub of their car after the session, so if they can get that sorted they should be back up there for qualifying. I wonder if the organisers will let them use the spare car? There's no way Adam Carroll is 3 seconds off the pace. I think I've decided to support him for the rest of the season.

Live timing should be here for anyone interested. I've worked out I can just about catch the last practice session before heading for bed.

I don't know about other people, but although the official website is actually very informative and tells you all you need to know, I find it quite difficult to navigate around. Not as logically laid out as some.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 00:57 (Ref:2118785)   #106
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Awesome report Shelagh. Glad you had such a good time, and the bonus of the Historics. I was bummed I had prior things planned with the family other wise I would have gone.

See you next year???

Strider I think you will get more people looking at your post on the Eastern Creak thread. Ditto on the A1 site being difficult

Last edited by NAC; 2 Feb 2008 at 01:01.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 01:24 (Ref:2118804)   #107
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Strider I think you will get more people looking at your post on the Eastern Creak thread. Ditto on the A1 site being difficult
Yes, too right NAC. I think I had brain fade there! I've just tried to rescue the situation, but it's all a bit out of date now.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 07:10 (Ref:2118873)   #108
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
See you next year???
Alas, only if we win the lottery or some other windfall comes our way! Now we've travelled business class we have been spoilt and I am refusing to travel economy ever again - which means I'll be very limited in where I can afford to go
Old 6 Feb 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2122733)   #109
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Shelagh. So pleased you managed to get to Pukekohe for the Classic meeting. Charles Lloyd is a lovely guy with a great knowledge of racing over the years in the UK and NZ.

I'm an ex-pat too, and far prefer the scene in NZ to the UK, as it is so much more friendly at all levels. You will no doubt have noticed that at Pukekohe, the two day programme covered and completed 39 races, with an entry of I think, just over 340 cars. The only UK meetings that really compare are probably Goodwood - when it is fine.

Pretty good turnout for such a tiny country and at Pukekohe, they had to open up an extra paddock for public car parking. That doesn't happen often even at the local so called tier one and two meetings.

NZ in Jan/February or the UK? Easy choice... Lots of racing too, in both North and South islands, through to end March.

Hope you can save up and return someday - and bring your friends!

PS: Agree about flying business class though....
Old 7 Feb 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2123480)   #110
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
If we'd arrived home to a lottery or premium bond win, we'd have been on the next plane back!

Unfortunately, reality checked in!

I've just completed my first week back at work (I do my hours over 4 days to get a 3 day weekend) and the depression levels are quite high (or should that be low?).

Don't you hate it when the real world interrupts?