Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 9 Feb 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1518906)   #51
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looks like Pakistan won't be there this weekend. Seems Adam Khan is still "injured",
Old 9 Feb 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1518907)   #52
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
How sad. One of the main points of A1 is to develop the sport in such countries as India where there is not much history - but that takes time.
Quite frankly I have been very surprised as to why oh why Team India would race a 16 year old who clearly is "massively" off the pace each weekend - He can't even bother to get his helmet painted - they should have run Karun Chandock who at least has got some proper single seater experience and not the son of the team principal/franchise holder
Old 9 Feb 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1519012)   #53
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every team has to disassemble one of their cars. The tub must be sent back to the HQ of A1GP. They can keep te rest of the car as "spare-parts". Looks like a strange rule to me
Old 9 Feb 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1519127)   #54
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my university projects is on "Budget Vs Performance" and so I have decided to focus on the A1 GP series. I am finding it difficult at the moment to get even the roughest estimate on cost because everything seems so up in the air. Not even Arden Motorsport who run the GB team have answered my emails. At least Brian Sims is coming to the uni so i can hopefully get him to field some of my queries
Old 9 Feb 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1519222)   #55
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandbak
Every team has to disassemble one of their cars. The tub must be sent back to the HQ of A1GP. They can keep te rest of the car as "spare-parts". Looks like a strange rule to me
Why is it?
Old 9 Feb 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1519224)   #56
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.U.Motorsport
One of my university projects is on "Budget Vs Performance" and so I have decided to focus on the A1 GP series. I am finding it difficult at the moment to get even the roughest estimate on cost because everything seems so up in the air. Not even Arden Motorsport who run the GB team have answered my emails. At least Brian Sims is coming to the uni so i can hopefully get him to field some of my queries
Have you thought about writing to John Surtees who owns the franchise for Team GB?
Old 9 Feb 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1519233)   #57
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Have you thought about writing to John Surtees who owns the franchise for Team GB?
He is the front man. But he doesn't own the franchise.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 00:09 (Ref:1519302)   #58
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Probably not best to focus on a brand new series for such a project, since it will take a few years for budgets/benefits of sponsorship to settle down.
However, I think you'll be looking at around $8m per season for A1GP.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 02:42 (Ref:1519355)   #59
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quite frankly I have been very surprised as to why oh why Team India would race a 16 year old who clearly is "massively" off the pace each weekend - He can't even bother to get his helmet painted - they should have run Karun Chandock who at least has got some proper single seater experience and not the son of the team principal/franchise holder
Good point. Only three drivers that I know of have come out of India onto the international scene and are still active:

Narain Karthikeyan - concentrating on F1 so unavailable.
Karun Chandhok - started the season but I am told there were issues with attitude and relationships with the team. Heard this on the gossip grapevine so don't know any more than that and don't want to criticise without the facts.
That leaves Armaan Ebrahim. Very inexperienced but I think has potential for the future (at least to Adam Khan kind of level), but needs time to get there.

Another thought is that if Karthikeyan's F1 career stalls then he may have to head to A1 as per Firman/Verstappen, in which case Indian sponsors should follow. Another possibility that suggests that the current issue with this franchise holder is short sighted.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1519425)   #60
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Good point. Only three drivers that I know of have come out of India onto the international scene and are still active:

Narain Karthikeyan
I agree. I just don't see why Karthikeyan is so fussed up about being a 4th test driver with Williams. He doesn't really stand a chance of landing an F1 seat given that there is only one rent a driver team left in F1. Also his abilities are lacking to get a proper F1 drive. Having said that he should have gone to A1GP where given the opposition he would have had a chance to shine and put India on the Motorsport Map in a big way. I am sure TATA his sponsors would probably have gotten more mileage that way than having a driver trundling away at Valencia away from the media spotlight.

I suppose the lure of F1 is so great that common sense never prevails!
Old 10 Feb 2006, 08:31 (Ref:1519432)   #61
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The TV audience in F1 is far greater than that of A1GP which I suspect is why he is there and not in A1GP.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1519533)   #62
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A1 Grand Prix organisers have moved to solve the shortage of spare car parts by restricting all teams to only one chassis, eliminating the second spare car each team was entitled to.

www.autosport.com
Old 10 Feb 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1519692)   #63
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The TV audience in F1 is far greater than that of A1GP which I suspect is why he is there and not in A1GP.
But surely the chance of a 4th driver being seen on TV is small to non-existent, unless TATA have secured some space on the car of course.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1519695)   #64
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I think TATA have a small advert on the car
Old 10 Feb 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1519696)   #65
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah but nobody sees the 3rd or 4th drivers, and the average fan probably doesent even know who they are. Being in A1 GP would gain a driver much more exposure to the public eye than being a Friday F1 test driver ever could. IMO.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 15:12 (Ref:1519701)   #66
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
But as I have said above, if his sponsor is on the F1 car then it makes more sense for him to be there than in A1GP.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1519729)   #67
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont see why it makes more sense to be honest, for his sponsor it makes more sense perhaps, but for himself? Sponsorship is still pretty big in A1 GP and there are a lot of recogniseable brands, not least say Sky Sports and Fosters for example. F1 of course gets more exposure, and if the sponsor stood to get major sponsorship from the F1 team then fair enough, if however it is just a small logo would it not perhaps be better to be a major sponsor in A1 in the same way as Fosters and Sky Sports are?
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1519736)   #68
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
As his sponsor is the one paying for his drive at Williams I would suggest they are the ones that choose where he drives? F1 still has a much larger audience that A1GP...
Old 10 Feb 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1519758)   #69
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Good Luck!!!

I tried to do my dissertation for my degree on F1 budgeting, i never even got a reply from any team, let alone a letter to say "sorry but we can't give that kind of information out". Budgets are too commercially sensitive to give out, certainly in F1 and probably A1GP too. The best you'd get it their published accounts...
Old 10 Feb 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1519832)   #70
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Yeah but nobody sees the 3rd or 4th drivers, and the average fan probably doesent even know who they are.
But I bet he turns up as a guest commentator on Indian TV...
Old 11 Feb 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1520289)   #71
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Just a hint, but study currency restrictions for the various nations involved, and how much money is allowed to leave those countries and under what circumstances.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1520340)   #72
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandbak
A1 Grand Prix organisers have moved to solve the shortage of spare car parts by restricting all teams to only one chassis, eliminating the second spare car each team was entitled to.

Why not make some more?
Old 11 Feb 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1520343)   #73
bigchad
Rookie

Australia
Footscray
bigchad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Probably not best to focus on a brand new series for such a project, since it will take a few years for budgets/benefits of sponsorship to settle down.
However, I think you'll be looking at around $8m per season for A1GP.
The figure I've been given from Team Australia is $6m US. They're in serious strife too and the Eastern Creek race for 06 has not been signed yet. Several backers want Jones out.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 14:16 (Ref:1520349)   #74
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Why not make some more?
Because they would have to be paid for? And the transportation costs must also be high.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 20:16 (Ref:1520496)   #75
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has "Autosport" fallen out with A1GP........ no A1GP preveiw this week and no TV listings on the "on track, on screen" feature (page 24 and strangley in my mag page 26 as well) the only acticle is the letter of the week. with all the rumours about non-payment to suppliers, could it be that "Autosport" have not been paid for all the advertising it carried before the opening round at brands hatch and decided to snub the series till payment is recieved.