Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 25 Nov 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1774883)   #51
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I was just going to say I may be able to help you falcy with the problem as I had some weird dizzy and ignition and wiring problems with the last pig I had, would start one day not the next then would'nt start when hot then not when cold then I see the TDi bit so sorry can't help! May still be the battery you know, a diesel needs one heck of a kick to turn over as they run at about 21 to 1 compression and one dead cell which can happen overnight will be enough to cause a failure.

Gordon before you by anything check the manufacturers stated towing limits, as I recollect when i was looking for a suitable vehicle the Vito for example is not that high. The imformation should be readily available and may save you headaches later on or worse getting nicked!
Old 25 Nov 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1774914)   #52
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If You Dont Have To Use Your Tow Vehichle For Anything Else, A Big Van With A Big Diesel Engine Is Best In The End. You Can Leave
Everthing In It All The Time, Also I Have Deen Done By The Traffic
Cops For Overweight By Less Than Half A Hundredweight In My Old
Swb Transit In Cumbria Coming Back From Knockhill. I Am Sure A Few
Racers Break The Law All The Time And Dont Even Think About It.
I Know Its Another Vehichle To Tax Insure Etc But After Trying Most Towing Barges Since 1968, Personally I Find It Best.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1774915)   #53
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the offer, or not Al but I think I am half way there now. It cut out when I turned the headlights on. I sprayed the fuse block with contact spray and wiggled all the fuses and the fuse block and got a connection, this got better and then it started only to stop when the headlights were put on. After delving around under the dash and pulling wires about it is now OK with the headlights on. So it is either a dry connection or a wire has chaffed on the back of the dash and is shorting. I can't see much as it is dark so will investigate more tomorrow.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1774925)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
My problem was a small wiring loom between the dizzy and the coil of all things, replaced that and it was OK then the electronic dizzy expired, I hate em.
Old 3 Dec 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1780993)   #55
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tow with Toyota HJ-60. Back seat removed serves as a one person suite (hotel belarus among friends). A bit extreme one might say but I´ll manage just fine. Carries enough tools etc and pulls my trailer + car (= about 1600kg) rather well. Thirsty it might be - around 12-13L/100km but that much it drinks anway without any load!
Old 3 Dec 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1781013)   #56
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During the summer I bought an old Evo 2 to do a few track days, I looked at many alternatives to use as a tow vehicle and eventually bought a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 turbo diesel SWB. My only criticism is it is a bit thirsty on fuel but it has turned out to be a reliable, comfortable and capable of pulling a house down! I paid £2,200 for it off Ebay, it is a M reg. done 85K but has only been over in the UK for two years.
Old 3 Dec 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1781091)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um,

Aren't track days supposed to give you the chance to drive your "road car" on the track? If so why the feck do you need a trailer?
Old 3 Dec 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1781131)   #58
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
In case it breaks going round, very sensible IMHO.
Old 3 Dec 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1781146)   #59
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Pete most of the track day merchants buy another car with no mot or tax
or an old racer off somebody thats ****ed off with the hike in entries!
Old 5 Dec 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1782522)   #60
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
May be a lot for sale next year then Gordon if we are to believe the rumours going around.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1782614)   #61
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Update on my electrical probs. It was a fused link in one of the main looms, once it was found it took a few minutes to repair, thanks go to Phillip Palmer.
Now I have to put a new floor in the boot as there is only the carpet supporting the seats and cargo area.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1782658)   #62
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thats what I found with mine, looked great on the mainly ali body and the chassis was good, just the steel bits in between, rotten as a ruddy pear.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1782748)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This link was posted elsewhere. Take a look.

http://www.workplacelaw.net/display....7981&a_id=1317
Old 5 Dec 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1782794)   #64
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all your help and comments, I have just found a good 2001 Audi Allroad Tdi 2001 average miles, for 8,200 quid.. I collect it on Thursday.

I will be buying a trailer from these people, http://www.woodfordtrailers.com/

They will make me one to carry 1.5 tonnes with the wheels beneath the deck so it will easily fit in my garage with the Brasier on top for 1,550 quid plus VAT.

Steve McQueen.
Old 6 Dec 2006, 01:20 (Ref:1782948)   #65
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All road will be right with it's full air suspension. I presume it is the 2.5 TDi, if so nice motor, overall good choice for a duel purpose vehicle
Old 6 Dec 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1783257)   #66
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a Iveco Turbo Daily up for grabs.... Tons of room for spares, six seats (including driver).

I might consider leaving the "private plate" on it if the price is right.

Rob.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1784344)   #67
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
In case it breaks going round, very sensible IMHO.
to that one I bought a 1988 Mustang 5.0 gt manual to go drifting on Zandvoort (a car somewhat in your league , v8ts rules, I thought. I have a lot of fun between (). But my volvo xc70 with my 440kgs trailers has a big, to big job with that piece of heavy american metal. The Volvo pulls like hell but you feel the weight!!!!
Old 7 Dec 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1784385)   #68
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thats why I like the Blazer as it feels very stable with the weight.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1784435)   #69
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 'rules' for towing over here are that the mass being towed is no greater than 85% of that of the towing vehicle.

There is also the maximum design towing weight - thanks to CE marking.

And that CE marking is why you may not tow with a Ford Ka - and there are plenty of dipsticks who would try to fit a towbar to such a little box.

That's why a nice 4m wheelbase Iveco 35-10 Turbo Daily makes such a great tow wagon!

Rob.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1784439)   #70
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
The 'rules' for towing over here are that the mass being towed is no greater than 85% of that of the towing vehicle.

And that CE marking is why you may not tow with a Ford Ka - and there are plenty of dipsticks who would try to fit a towbar to such a little box.

That's why a nice 4m wheelbase Iveco 35-10 Turbo Daily makes such a great tow wagon!

Rob.
You are right (on -C-E-) , but your Iveco and my defender 90 td5 climbing the slopes up to lets say Spa Francrochamps beginning with the first big one at Liege / Blegny (when we always scream " blackney" ) is a creaping 2nd gear ............................The bl. Volvo (Ford) -runs- that hill!!!!!!!! with a trailer and a British Sportscar upon.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1784447)   #71
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59

Rob.
There is no 85% rule Rob, it goes on GTW and axle weight. How old is your Iveco? There are new regs coming in for within the M25 that will practicaly outlaw anything pre 2001.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1784909)   #72
trikesrule
Racer

trikesrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in the land down under the towing distances are long and speeds towing tend to be around 100kmh. Our three car team uses late model (under 6 years old) six cylinder long wheel base sedans. Ford or Holden. Real cumfy and pretty good fuel economy. Who ever draws the short straw gets the Holden............trikes
Old 8 Dec 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1784928)   #73
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
There are new regs coming in for within the M25 that will practicaly outlaw anything pre 2001.
What are they Tim?
Old 8 Dec 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1784934)   #74
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypipe
What are they Tim?
It is for trucks and buses. Here is a link and we had a consultation document (read-it will happen) by post a few weeks ago.
It basically has two dates of 2008 and 2010 (I think, but they could be 2010 and 2012) and diesel engined truck or buses must meet Euro 3 and then Euro 4 emission regs by these dates.
Apparently anything manufactured after 2001 had to meet Euro 3 so that will probably outlaw anything that is older than that.
I may have my Euros and dates wrong but that is the general idea of it.
If they don't meet the regs then there will be a £200 per day charge to enter the zone, which is anywhere withing the M25.
Old 8 Dec 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1784961)   #75
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
It is for trucks and buses. Here is a link and we had a consultation document (read-it will happen) by post a few weeks ago.
It basically has two dates of 2008 and 2010 (I think, but they could be 2010 and 2012) and diesel engined truck or buses must meet Euro 3 and then Euro 4 emission regs by these dates.
Apparently anything manufactured after 2001 had to meet Euro 3 so that will probably outlaw anything that is older than that.
I may have my Euros and dates wrong but that is the general idea of it.
If they don't meet the regs then there will be a £200 per day charge to enter the zone, which is anywhere withing the M25.
So it wont affect my LDV 400 LWB HT 2.5l TD then?