Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 May 2001, 04:37 (Ref:94206)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
$5 million to answer this question

OK, for $5m (fantasy $ I'm afraid) who can answer this question?

Who was the driver that allowed Fangio to win his 4th title letting him drive his car ?

1. Farina
2. Collins
3. Ascari
4. Moss
5. Heathtrow

I'm only guessing, but I think it was Collins, does anyone know for sure?
Old 19 May 2001, 06:25 (Ref:94211)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm pretty sure it was Collins.
Old 19 May 2001, 11:13 (Ref:94252)   #3
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Collins. I read about this only yesterday actually, but I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else. I'll get back with the link if I can remember where I read it!
Old 19 May 2001, 11:24 (Ref:94253)   #4
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: $5 million to answer this question

The archive is really confusing, but what seems to have happened at the last race which was the Italian is:

(1) Fangio drove both Ferrari #26 with Collins which was awarded 2nd place. Collins got 3 points finishing with 25, and Fangio got -3 points finishing with 30, and,

(2) Fangio also drove Ferrari #22 with Castelloti which finished 8th. No points, and,

(3) Moss drove - all by himself - Ferrari #36. He won and got nine points finishing with 27.

Fangio therefore won the championship with 30 points.

The funny thing is that it looks as if Fangio had sat out the race or not finished he would have wound up with 33 points.

Whatever happened, he drove the last 15 laps in Collins' car and won the championship.
Old 19 May 2001, 12:05 (Ref:94256)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That can't be right, he can't have been given -3 points for finishing in Collins' car! I definitely remember reading that Collins would have won the title, but then he offered his car to Fangio so that Fangio could win his 4th instead! So Fangio needed to drive Collins' car for those last laps in order to clinch the WDC. (Btw I think I read about this yesterday on a thread concerning TGF and Rubens, and this comparison with Collins and Fangio was being made to illustrate how the role of "team-mate" may have changed in perception over the years, the point being that Collins voluntarily handed over his car to Fangio, and at the same time in reality handed over the championship.)

Really, this belongs in the Historic Forum.
Old 20 May 2001, 21:40 (Ref:94602)   #6
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Peter Collins.

Standings before the Italian GP of 1956:
1. Fangio 27
2. Collins 22
3. Behra 22
4. Moss 18

The start of the race was highlighted by team mates Musso and Castellotti duelling for the lead as, despite pit signals, both were driving as in opposing teams. For 4 laps this continued but then at the half-lap on lap 5, they both dived into the pits with their tyres in shreds. Throughout this opening flurry Fangio, Moss, Collins and Schell were just behind constantly changing positions. This was now the battle for the lead which, in the main, developed into a straight fight between Moss and Schell, Fangio and Collins sitting it out behind. After 11 laps, though, Collins had to drop out for a new tyre leaving the other three to carry on with Schell, more often than not, in the lead. The three leaders continued to stay as close as ever with Behra, now having moved up to 4th place, some way behind but ahead of Musso, Maglioli, Collins, Flockhart and Godia. Suddenly on lap 19 Fangio drew into the pits with a broken steering arm. After a lengthy stop Castellotti took over the car with Fangio's Championship hopes beginning to fade. At about this time a shower made the circuit wet and Moss began pulling away from Schell. By half-distance the lead had increased to 13 seconds with Musso now in third place following Behra's retirement on lap 23. On lap 28 Schell stopped to refuel which let Musso into second place but on lap 30 the Italian stopped for a tyre check. Everyone expected Fangio to take over but Musso insisted on continuing. Now Collins passed Schell and then on lap 32 the Vanwall came to a halt with transmission trouble, the driver soaked in oil. This left Moss way out in front ahead of Musso, Collins, Flockhart, behra, now driving Maglioli's car, and Godia. Three laps later Collins came in for a tyre check and was now in with a real chance of taking the Championship. Bot no!--instead he produced one of the finest acts of sportsmanship ever seen in motor racing--he handed his car over to Fangio. With the leading positions so well spaced out it looked as if the race would now run to its conclusion without further incident but on lap 42 Behra, after passing Flockhart, retired a second time, on this occasion with a broken steering box. Then on lap 45 Moss ran out of fuel but as he was coasting to a halt Piotti, in seventh place, tucked in behind his team-leader and pushed him back to the pits to refuel. Moss was away again in a flash but Musso had gone by and Fangio was getting closer. Musso's lead lasted little more than a lap, however, as on lap 47 his steering arm broke just as he was leaving the banking and he came to a halt in front of the pits. Moss, meanwhile, was setting fastest lap in his effort to keep Fangio at bay and despite having to ease off on the final lap with an almost bald tyre he went on to win by 5.7 seconds. Fangio, though, was the World Champion.

1. Stirling Moss - (9 points, includes point for fastest lap)
2. Peter Collins/J.M.Fangio - (both drivers 3 points for shared drive)
3. Ron Flockhart - (4 points)
4. Francesco Godia - (3 points)
5. Jack Fairman - (2 points)
6. Luigi Piotti
7. Emmanuel de Graffenried
8. J.M.Fangio/E.Castellotti
9. Andre Simon
10.Gerino Gerini
11.Roy Salvadori
Old 21 May 2001, 11:28 (Ref:94748)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Thanks for that Gerard. Although I only needed the answer for a Fantasy Racing game, I was amazed when I read your post. That was fantastic, I wish I had a tape of it.

How is it such a gesture in F1 history is not talked about more? Unfortunatley today, with F1 being a business as well as a sport, we will never see the likes of this again.
Old 21 May 2001, 11:32 (Ref:94749)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blatant Advertisement

Why not drop into the historic racing forum. There's loads of us in there in comfy leather armchairs swilling Craig's excellent Hine and discussing the good (or sometimes not so) old days.