Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Oct 2007, 08:20 (Ref:2042428)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Best Historic Car Meetings

I note that the number of posts on Spa is about 900 against 260 for Goodwood.So based on the amount of interested generated and as its the end of the season what are the top six meetings that should be entered /visited next year?
My ideas are Spa 6 hrs,Monaco,Le Mans Classic,Silverstone Festival,Oldtimer GP and Goodwood..We will be at Four all being well but you will note I am trying to be open minded with the others,dont want to be accused of whinging
Over to you Moscow,we need another long thread
Old 17 Oct 2007, 08:33 (Ref:2042440)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
as with the eligibility thread, its all dependant on what kind of car and period your interested in

for me its Goodwood revival, Spa 6 hour, Dijon GP DeL'Age D'or

Chimay is/was good

monaco and LeMans classic seem great but not relevant to me
Old 17 Oct 2007, 08:51 (Ref:2042449)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What would/is the best balance as I find meetings that include Type C cars or the newer F1 races become unbalanced with a few people taking up half the paddock.Of the meeting I would think that Goodwood,Monaco and Oldtimers have largest crowds but will the people continue to show up with the same cars and star(?) drivers turning up year in and year out.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 09:08 (Ref:2042457)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I,m affraid my tastes have been with the European events for years now,Goodwood seem,s to have too much "Downtime"for me,Silverstone Classic gets the Thumbs Up.Spa,Nordschliffe,Dijon,Chimay etc hold more of an attraction though.Donington,Brands GP,Oulton are possibly my favorite UK venues though.
Le Mans?,now you,r talking!!
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:08 (Ref:2042498)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Group C is impressive in its own right but I think it spoils pre66 race meetings, I think for general pre66 anything later than early mid 70's is a bit out of place, I'd much rather see 50's and pre war
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:10 (Ref:2042499)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
how about a 6 hour pre 1970 saloon car race at Le Mans
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:35 (Ref:2042519)   #7
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodwood Revival tops the list for me; re John Ruston's comment about crowds returning, Lord March is still packing them in ten years on so must be doing something right. I just hope the sideshows don't swamp the racing although I think the event has to be viewed in a slightly different context to others.

Spa Six Hours just seems to get better & better & for atmosphere is hard to beat. Of course we can't always guarantee this years' weather in the Ardennes!

Only done Le Mans Classic once & still can't make up my mind whether I enjoyed it; seemed very chaotic & disorganised. Chimay by contrast is just brilliant. If, as seems possible, LM & Chimay are the same weekend next year I know where I'll be.

Never done Monaco, so can't comment on that. Silverstone is slowly heading back to its glory days, which is good news. HSCC meetings in general always seem to be very pleasant affairs. Particularly enjoyed their visit to Croix, on my back doorstep, last year.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 16:08 (Ref:2042795)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
I note that the number of posts on Spa is about 900 against 260 for Goodwood.
John, you make me chuckle! The Spa thread started about 4 months before the Goodwood one; it also has had a lot more input from the drivers actually involved in it, some of it general chit chat, and little directly to do with the Spa event itself. It is actually a quite different type of thread; Spa being more of a driver thread; Goodwood a spectator one. A better comparison for all round interest would be the view count which shows that. despite a much later start, Goodwood is only about 1000 views down on a high view count for both threads!

For what its worth, Goodwood was spoilt a bit for me this year, with the number of red flags particularly in the main events, the TT and St Mary's, which shortened the races, and also the controversy over some of the cars. I think the Silverstone Classic edged it, although I still think that too much was crammed into the Saturday. I can't comment on the others; I really need to get abroad more! However, for me some of the smaller events organised by HSCC, AMOC, MGCC & VSCC give me as much pleasure.

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Oct 2007 at 09:09.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 16:25 (Ref:2042805)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I can't comment on the others; I really need to get abroad more! However, for me some of the smaller events organised by HSCC, AMOC, MGCC & VSCC give me as much pleasure.
I think you have a good point here. We drivers seem to be getting so far up our own backsides that we are guilty of forgetting what else is out there.

We are to an extent spoiled for choice. Some only want to enter the big events yet the CTCRC (f'rinstance) offers tremendous opportunities for historic (APP K) saloons. If you can afford to do three international (festival style) events you might find it better to do a season of CTCRC. More bang for the buck as it were.

Then of course because we have all these places to go we gripe if the regs aren't upheld. Well go figure.

In my case I do the Masters races because it suits my situation. So as far as events are concerned the response from me is limited.

Racing opportunities on the other hand are plentiful and we need to get away from the "festivals" and back to the clubs.

However the festivals should be what the name describes. A jewel in the season's tiara.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 17:40 (Ref:2042879)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
speak for yourself Peter, I think thats nonsense; when was the last time you raced with the CTCRC? their best series is arguably for 70's saloons.

firstly you suggest a car (mine) prepared for period correct International spec racing is good for club sprints, no disrespect to the CTCRC, their regs are the closest to App K in club racing, but its not what I set out to do. asides which on my budget, with a family in tow I want more race/weekend and less travel

secondly your in the MAsters camp, because of your situation, which is money time related, (more/less) which is one of the reasons that has caused the current lack of respect and authority for truly historic racing, invitation series, the corporate factor if you like and the fill the grid anything goes scenario.

3rd point I agree in part, the clubs should organise the festivals . . .like the HSCC and SIlverstone classic for example ! I think they're learning/have learnt from the invitation series appeal and will adapt, likewise Masters are trying the 'club' style on an International level . . . . . .

I'll leave the tiaras to you Peter, I'll only risk a few frayed ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I think you have a good point here. We drivers seem to be getting so far up our own backsides that we are guilty of forgetting what else is out there.

We are to an extent spoiled for choice. Some only want to enter the big events yet the CTCRC (f'rinstance) offers tremendous opportunities for historic (APP K) saloons. If you can afford to do three international (festival style) events you might find it better to do a season of CTCRC. More bang for the buck as it were.

Then of course because we have all these places to go we gripe if the regs aren't upheld. Well go figure.

In my case I do the Masters races because it suits my situation. So as far as events are concerned the response from me is limited.

Racing opportunities on the other hand are plentiful and we need to get away from the "festivals" and back to the clubs.

However the festivals should be what the name describes. A jewel in the season's tiara.

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Oct 2007 at 09:05. Reason: Zef, I've PM'd you!
Old 17 Oct 2007, 17:47 (Ref:2042885)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for that. But I really think you missed my point.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 18:13 (Ref:2042922)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
well from a spectators point of View John is spot on, but they get little consideration from most of us. no disrespect to spectators but racers/financers have dominated these conversations.

other than that I fail to see how I missed
Old 17 Oct 2007, 19:30 (Ref:2042985)   #13
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a speckled potato I really enjoy Spa (6 hr), for the ability to wander freely around and in garages, and for the viewing points around the track, can't be beaten! (As well as the regular neck oiling points ). I really do also enjoy Goodwood, its an amazing feat of organisation, just a shame its becoming harder to find a good vantage point to view racing due to the crowds ..but if you go with the view that its an overall event, not just a motorsport meeting, then you'll have a wow, so I'll keep going wether we're racing or not. Shame some of the posher cars are closed to the general viewing public though...

I thouroughly enjoy Chimay, fantastic pit lane for viewing from, especially when my other half comes around the last corner backwards when I was 6 months pregnant, nearly inducing our son early!

Le Mans makes my skin tingle and I'd love to see the classic, from what I hear its great for both spectators and drivers/teams....

Bathurst historic would also be included, but obviously thats my home country and a far schlepp for all of us across the world...

Would like to see more "festivals" at our local tracks, but to be honest the enjoyment of the European tracks is also because its a holiday in a different country and the mentality in that regard is always different!
Old 17 Oct 2007, 20:20 (Ref:2043031)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saddly most of the domestic events lack in attmosphere,you could never atchieve the feel of Spa at Silverstone/Goodwood etc.Yes,I,m able to speak as an [unwilling] spectator as well,I suppose I could be a little bias towards Spa but the circuit aside,it has this party feel about it because everyone likes being there.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 20:20 (Ref:2043032)   #15
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The not to be missed historic meetings for me are the Classic and the Gold Cup.

While the Gold Cup is as much for the social side as the racing, and an annual chance to meet up with friends from up north, the Classic meeting offers great racing, lovely cars and access to wander the garages and paddocks and be made to feel welcome while doing so.

I agree with John about the enjoyment from smaller events run by the likes of the HSCC, VSCC, Top Hat/Masters etc especially when combined with spectator friendly circuits
Old 18 Oct 2007, 07:37 (Ref:2043302)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
As our situation has changed in as much as taking Arthur racing with us and camping, as opposed to hotels and lording it up as Dinkies, the location and atmosphere is as important to us. I'd quite happily trck to Oulton or Cadwell for a long weekend if there was some decent races to do, but its really not worth the hassle for 15 minutes. whereas Silverstone, Snetterton etc are pretty bland locations.

Therein also lays the difference between Club racing and Int racing, asides the regs, spend the weekend on the motorway or on the track ?
Old 18 Oct 2007, 08:09 (Ref:2043326)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Agree on that Zef,personally I dont feel the need for sprint races nowadays,I know there are lot,s of people out there who will disagree on that,just personal prefference,s.I cannot understand a good friend of mine,he will quite happily drive from Cambridge to Anglesea for a 15 minuit blast!.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 08:25 (Ref:2043338)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Agree on that Zef,personally I dont feel the need for sprint races nowadays,I know there are lot,s of people out there who will disagree on that,just personal prefference,s.I cannot understand a good friend of mine,he will quite happily drive from Cambridge to Anglesea for a 15 minuit blast!.
I think the championships thing works if you have the time, and therefore makes a "Festival" more appealing (my point re jewels).

Yes if you have limited time then a series of longer distance events makes sense, simply because you can't concentrate on a championship, but these events are still club events.

Back on topic.

Spa is great for its atmosphere but attracts very few spectators so it really is a driver's event. The Silverstone Classic is a major spectator event and therefore fits the "Festival" tag.

Having no experience of the Gold Cup I won't comment but Goodwood is another "Festival" event.

However going back to my original thoughts, there are types of festival. Pre 66 = Goodwood. Sports Prototype/GT/Group 2 TC = Le Mans, Historic F1 Monaco. There's three majors all with separate appeal.

Then perhaps Silverstone, brings all categories together, so you have four. Spa, which really should attract more spectators, makes five with a major international event as its headline.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 08:26 (Ref:2043339)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I guess we're all biased to the way we started out as well, nearly all the meets I've been involved in have been longer races so its what I'm used to, my car was always better suited to longer races as well.

Likewise some people only know the HAre option and moan at the thought of breaking into a sweat after ten minutes.

or in Als case having to spend a weeks wages filling the tanks up !!!
Old 18 Oct 2007, 08:42 (Ref:2043350)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Spa is great for its atmosphere but attracts very few spectators so it really is a driver's event. .
this always amazes me, I have a group of freinds who berated me for not organising their weekend to LeMans, I suggested they come with us to Spa, its cheaper, and better in every respect . . .none of them have yet been . . .a few made the effort to drive 25 miles to Goodwood and whilst they enjoyed it immensley they just don't have sufficient octane between the ears to appreciate what those of us in the know have been trying to get through to them !

in a similar vaine they won't go to the local pub and watch Miller Anderson play guitar for free (ex T-Rex/Deep Purple/Keef Hartley/Spencer Davis) but they will pay £80+ to watch Clapton from 1 mile away on a rugby pitch !!!
Old 18 Oct 2007, 13:29 (Ref:2043583)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

John-At least I included Goodwood in original list!
Old 18 Oct 2007, 14:29 (Ref:2043636)   #22
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughly enjoyed Le Mans Classic last year. I've been put off going to the 24H because of all the yobs and nonsense that goes on. The classic had lots and lots of racing, great variety of cars, you can wander in and out of the paddock at will, and to be honest I kind of enjoyed the chaotic nature. Also, the roads, towns and villages around the circuit are absolutely packed with classic cars that have travelled from all over Europe to get there. It's a real enthusiasts meeting from a spectator point of view. Anyone who makes such a big journey to go and watch is clearly a proper fan.

I also enjoy some of the smaller meetings. Bentley Drivers Club at Silverstone is a good one in my humble opinion. Proper dirty old club meeting. On the way there/back you'll see a big old open top tourer with half the family packed into it and race numbers on the side doing 80 mph down the M1. No nonsense in the paddock and plenty of old, loud and messy stuff along with some 50's, 60',s and 70's stuff as well.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 18:24 (Ref:2043856)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
BDC is a favourite for me too.
Old 18 Oct 2007, 19:19 (Ref:2043896)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes,would agree ,for a pure clubbie it,s the most laid-back event I know of,a few years ago a friend was entered in one race,he discovered that the race he was supposed to be in was running while he was eating his lunch,he went up to Race Control and explained,the reply was."It,s OK,you can go out in the next one,so go and get ready."!.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 09:45 (Ref:2044372)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
John-At least I included Goodwood in original list!
Yes, I'll give you that, but it would be difficult to exclude from an all round point of view. I was just trying to put some perspective to your 'statistical' comment!

Judging by RR's and Peter's comments, it looks like I should take in a BDC meeting next year. Haven't been to one in several years!

Incidentally, I hope that anyone with time on their hands tomorrow, makes the effort to get to Silverstone for the HSCC finals. It should be well worth it and I'm about to start a thread on it.