Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 May 2003, 23:05 (Ref:606389)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Parc Ferme rules for V8 Supercar?

Should the shootout for grid positions be run on the fuel level the race will be started at?

If this is to occur, should the whole field be required to run-off over a single lap or just the top 10/15 qualifiers?

This would probably intoduce more meaning into the pitstops and removing the fuel stop window would require teams to pit stategically because they really have to, not just because the window opens on lap 3 and everyone comes in.

Running heavy in the run-off may not disadvantage you because waiting for a SC can pay off, then there's the weather condidtions to be considered.

If 300k races are the format, the unpredictability of the starting weight "handicap" could be worthwhile.

Pie-in-the-sky?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 22 May 2003, 02:21 (Ref:606459)   #2
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No
Old 22 May 2003, 04:33 (Ref:606481)   #3
Trevor P
Racer

Trevor P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think yes.
I believe that the car that sits on the grid before a race starts should be as close as possible to the car that qualified on that position.
Qualifying to me is something you do to position yourself to win the race. It is not a completely separate competition. Things like changing engines, significantly different fuel loads, changed gear ratios, even different tyres, between qualifying and racing, with the effect of significantly altering a car's behaviour and characteristics, is not in the spirit of what I think most racing is about.
Old 22 May 2003, 04:55 (Ref:606484)   #4
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the rule is something that the V8's need.

The fuel load doesn't hurt the lap times nearly as much as an F1 car, the tyres, gear ratio's, engine compression/rpm limit etc are all controlled so basically there is no such thing as qualifying tyres or engines, and quite often the teams will still be doing adjustments to the cars setup's after qualifying to try to make them a better race car, which I think is a good thing.

By using the F1 rules, if you don't get the car soorted before you qualify, then you are stuck with a dog for the race. This would only help the better teams to gain an advantage becasue their cars are usually closer to being right straight out of the truck.

I'm all for going the other way and making tyre and fuel stops non mandatory, so you stop if you need to. I know the pit stops can add some spice, but it is all too artificial the way it is now.
Old 22 May 2003, 07:16 (Ref:606517)   #5
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NAAR,

Kick that idea into touch. Like Daz said, your only going to help the teams who can afford to put brand new gear in every time the car goes out for qualifying.

Ask Webber if he wished the mules could have spent a little time checking out the rear suspension in Melbourne between qual and the race?

Good to see you are putting a suggestion forward.

Smaller wings I say, Im sure Larko would agree, OR NOT
Old 22 May 2003, 07:56 (Ref:606533)   #6
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, if it can help F1, it should be able to help the current boring V8's.
Old 22 May 2003, 08:00 (Ref:606536)   #7
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think i've said this before but i think it's the best idea i've heard in a long time.
Old 22 May 2003, 08:13 (Ref:606546)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
35 cars meaning 35 hot laps around somewhere like PI or EC will take an hour and a half, maybe more if there is some more safety margin built in!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 May 2003, 08:53 (Ref:606580)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm against the idea but if they did introduce the rule it would have to mean that all the cars would have to qualify in the one lap dash not just the top 10 or 15.
Old 22 May 2003, 09:47 (Ref:606621)   #10
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, maybe not, if only say 15 cars did the fuel qualifying process, then the people starting further down the field would have an advantage.

That sounds even better now....thanks Jetsetter
Old 22 May 2003, 09:47 (Ref:606622)   #11
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
every car is conducting a one lap dash at the final round at eastern creek.
Old 23 May 2003, 21:08 (Ref:608297)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People have complained in recent years about the lack of V8 Supercar "track time" for their entry dllars, so having each car run-off over one lap would be preferable for their sponsors who would have a captive audience viewing their sponsors' logos, regardless of TV considerations.

Secondly, mid-field and back-marker teams could go for the glory albeit unrealistically in therun-off and get the car at the front and give the top teams something to pass early in the going, andgive the non hard core fans no reason to complain about no passing or a "boring procession."

The two biggest complaints seem to be no passing and predictable out comes. Increasing the race diostance alone is fine but it would be enhanced in wheel and fuel stops occurred because there was a mechanical and engineering reason rather than a trend of pit when the leader does because the window opens.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport