Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 9 Jun 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2223995)   #76
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all, I'd like to say that I didn't intend to annoy you with my rather opinionated comment. In retrospect, the development of this thread clearly shows that I hadn't understood the concept of the track in question at all.
I completely agree with bio that this track offers a lot for spectators, with lots of overtaking opportunities at the hairpins and with a good view of the pitlane. I have experienced it myself, too, that tracks don't go down too well with the other people on the board, especially those that are a bit wild in some aspects. You've got every right to still like your design, just like I still like my "Cape Verdishe".

SBF, you have solved the runoff problem of the bridge. But may I suggest an underpass instead, to regain visibility of the braking zone in Turn 1 for spectators?

Alwaysfirst: Your edit turns the original sketch into a fine track for touring cars and smaller formulae. Thanks for posting!
Old 10 Jun 2008, 04:15 (Ref:2224369)   #77
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yannick, I would like to see your "Cape Verdishe". Post it here if you want or if it's already on the forum somewhere, plz tell me where.

SBF, thx for the edit, I really should've thought of tightening the corners before and after the bridge, but it's an older track and I wouldn't have known to do that when I designed it. It was a looong time ago, for me that is.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 05:54 (Ref:2224393)   #78
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I have changed the 1st sector for the Launceston track. Sorry it's a bit messy but it was done during class on Paint. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
attachment.jpeg  
Old 10 Jun 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2224732)   #79
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was a definite improvement of a track that was quite good anyways. You changed two of the spots I would have.

bio
Old 11 Jun 2008, 05:52 (Ref:2225409)   #80
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
How great minds think alike!!!
Old 11 Jun 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2225990)   #81
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that is much better! You've indeed fixed the three troublesome spots.

As for "Cape Verdishe", look for it in the "Opening My Archive" thread. It must be around Track #11 or #12 in there.
Old 12 Jun 2008, 03:20 (Ref:2226594)   #82
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Thx much. On my way!
Old 12 Jun 2008, 04:02 (Ref:2226600)   #83
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I found it! I had to use a proxy site (basically a site that unblocks bad sites) to get into it because that particular thread is banned at my school, dunno why? Anyway, I read a comment that SBF had put in it and it said that he "didn't like racing around piers and walls".

The track....well it didn't look that bad but there was a bit that looked like a mushroom at the bottom left of the track with 2 really tight hairpins at the bottom of each side. It was odd at first, but I wouldn't have 2 hairpins there. If it was based around real piers I'd understand why you did what you did, but yeah, I don't like the idea of 2 hairpins there. That's all I'd change.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2228249)   #84
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Now for my ENGINE-BREAKER!! GRRRRRRRRR! Oh, enjoy

This is another one of my absolute favoruite tracks. It would go anywhere in Italy, for Ferrari to use of course! Very fast, 5 long straights for slipstreaming, and the odd slow corner to slow the cars down. The pitlane is outrageously long but I can change that if you guys don't do so. With all the fast straights and especially the longish left-hander at the top, IMO, I'd say that is one hell of an engine-breaker!

I leave it up to YOU to say whether it's good or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Scuderia Ferrari Italiano  Circuit.jpg  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 14 Jun 2008 at 07:58.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2228309)   #85
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say that it would be very fast, certainly, but fast isn't always good for spectators. Maybe shortening a couple of the straights would increase the flow of the circuit.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2228408)   #86
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Good point, but not every car that could potentially race on the track goes as fast as an F1 car, do they. Shortening the circuits is also a good point mentioned in your post, which could be arranged, if I remembered!
Old 14 Jun 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2228915)   #87
bio
Veteran

Hungary
There is a big problem with tracks with many straights (and, i guess, that's why you don't have too many of them in real life): you'll either end up with a very long track or short straights. Both have their evident drawbacks.

Plus: the exit of the bottom, tilted-but-near-horizontal shorter straight seems way too close to the penultimate hairpin.

I know it would kill the original idea, but I'd leave the "L" (or hockey-stick) shaped section out altogether.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2229081)   #88
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
What's wrong with long circuits?

BTW, I've been listening to Le Mans all day.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 04:11 (Ref:2229115)   #89
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
THE AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX IS HERE TO STAY!!!!!! YIPPEE!!!!!!

Bio

Would you really take out the "Hockey Stick" part? That would completely ruin the shape of the track.

The tilted-but-near-horizontal shorter straight looks quite close and that can be changed.

BTW, Purist has a point with long circuits. They're not all bad. But the long Le Mans circuit only gets used once a year, so it's not a permanent long circuit like mine could be.

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 15 Jun 2008 at 04:20.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2229227)   #90
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Before I forget

Bio, are you going to contribute any more new designs on "Bio's Tracks" because it's been a long time in 10 10ths time since you last posted on it. If your life is busy at this current time, I understand. I can wait!

BTW, I feel quite simple in the head for not knowing before; I NOW know what a "dreaded" Double Post is!
Old 15 Jun 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2229233)   #91
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Here it goes with a double post....... An alternative for Brno. I admit it's a bit different compared to the other tracks I've posted, and it's been posted the wrong way up. I'm expecting criticism on this one as always.
Attached Thumbnails
Prague.jpg  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 15 Jun 2008 at 09:31.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2229266)   #92
bio
Veteran

Hungary
TW,

that "long track" thing is all my fault - I was thinking of your track as a GP venue and thought it might be too long for that. But you never mentioned this would be a F' track, did you?

As for my own thread: I've decided to give Sketchup another shot and I've been working on that. It's near completition. Once I'm, done with that I'll get back to my good old mapmaking software though
Old 16 Jun 2008, 01:28 (Ref:2229789)   #93
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Don't mention it, man! Good news with your thread by the way, but you didn't say what you thought about "Prague".
Old 16 Jun 2008, 07:15 (Ref:2229869)   #94
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, I like the flow and that it has more than one true overtaking points. Would be good to know the track and straight lengths.

Which is the "main" pitlane? The bottom might be better on the other side - that way the vehicles wouldn't come out to the racing line. But, unfortuantely, the other side would not provide enough room for a paddock area. Maybe reversing the race direction and putting the pitlane on the other straight, just above the one it's on now would solve this minor problem.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2229996)   #95
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be honest, the two long hairpin sections do nothing for this track. The section on the right has the makings of a good circuit.

Perhaps even just scaled up a bit to be a proper circuit in it's own right with the pilane exit before T1. And if you wanted some extra length on the circuit, then a hairpin section something like this might be more flowing.
Attached Thumbnails
Prague copy.jpg  
Old 17 Jun 2008, 04:10 (Ref:2230547)   #96
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Bio, The pitlane in the bottom left is the main straight and the shorter straight with pitlane is the S/F straight for the short circuit.

SBF, Thx for the edit. The straight you extended was a good idea. The 2 hairpins at the bottom wasn't one of my best ideas. The short straight was probably a tad short to begin with. Could you plz elaborate a bit on this "scaling up a bit" thing you mention sometimes. Also, it's good to know that at least SOME of my track has potential. Thx again.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2230613)   #97
bio
Veteran

Hungary
y all of your tracks have potential.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2230614)   #98
bio
Veteran

Hungary
How did that happen??? That's not what i typed in... I said "I think all of your tracks..."
Old 17 Jun 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2230762)   #99
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Scaling up a bit....

Simply as in the above circuit, the part that I've choosen to edit and create a new circuit could be a little on the short side (before I added the hairpin loop), and also the space where you have marked the pitlane might be a little narrow for a paddock and access etc.

So in this one, scaling up would simply mean rather than the whole of the original circuit being of GP length, suggesting that the "new" circuit have the S/F of around 800m+ and the rest of the circuit would then be scaled off that, giving an overall length in the F1/GP range.

On that scale the distance between the S/F and the short parallel straight would be around 250-300m which is more than plenty for run-off where needed, footings for a bridge or tunnel base as well as the pitlane (now with entry and exit both on the straight), garages and other buildings plus of course space for the support series as well.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 17 Jun 2008 at 12:22.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 01:28 (Ref:2231567)   #100
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Ohhhhh, I see. Thx SBF.