Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 24 Mar 2016, 18:15 (Ref:3626837)   #3126
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I imagine the hotel will have parking access either underground at Enercare Centre or over at Ontario Place for the weekend. Probably will mostly get booked up by Indycar people anyhow
Old 24 Mar 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3626922)   #3127
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
It's basically what I was attempting to describe back in post 3034.
My apologies - so you did. Bravo! Very prescient.

I've always assumed the hotel would be used for team and other event personnel accommodation, but I have no evidence to back up this idea. Parking under the Enercare Centre (DEC) is at a premium during race weekend anyway (basically only teams and event staff; very few others get under there, even people you might think would).
Old 25 Mar 2016, 13:36 (Ref:3627090)   #3128
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roger Penske is not interested in IndyCar adding races outside of North America. http://www.autosport.com/news/report...r-to-go-global
Old 25 Mar 2016, 15:52 (Ref:3627143)   #3129
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I understand that he doesn't want to go to Asia or Europe. It's not worth the effort.

But Brazil would be a great addition - or Punta del Este!
Old 25 Mar 2016, 16:18 (Ref:3627158)   #3130
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
Roger Penske is not interested in IndyCar adding races outside of North America. http://www.autosport.com/news/report...r-to-go-global
An interesting article. I think given the current state of IndyCar that makes sense. If there's any expansion then limit it to Canada and Mexico. Interesting that he wants to open up the North West. Back in the CART era both Portland and Vancouver were perennials on the season calendar.
Old 25 Mar 2016, 18:39 (Ref:3627223)   #3131
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Honda would like to see a third manufacturer.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...r-manufacturer
Old 25 Mar 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3627243)   #3132
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
An interesting article. I think given the current state of IndyCar that makes sense. If there's any expansion then limit it to Canada and Mexico.
I think so too. The price tag for European or Asian rounds is high with so little benefits. It'd be unnecessary to go overseas just because they have to.
Old 25 Mar 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3627255)   #3133
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IndyCar to Eurospeedway ? http://de.motorsport.com/indycar/new...sieren-681799/

Last edited by kurski; 25 Mar 2016 at 19:50.
Old 25 Mar 2016, 20:42 (Ref:3627284)   #3134
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
I think so too. The price tag for European or Asian rounds is high with so little benefits. It'd be unnecessary to go overseas just because they have to.
The best thing for IndyCar at the moment is to consolidate the series with a regular calendar and continue to build on the TV audience and crowd attendance, much like CART did in late 80s and early 90s. Once they did that CART was ready to expand first to Australia, etc., etc.,
Old 25 Mar 2016, 20:46 (Ref:3627286)   #3135
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
I couldn't find an English translation but I got the gist of it, however I couldn't find a corresponding article on either IndyCar's or Autosport's websites.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3627471)   #3136
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it's sensible to limit their market, but I do miss the Surfer's Paradise race. And it would be good if we had a race in Brazil again
Old 26 Mar 2016, 18:08 (Ref:3627585)   #3137
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Then I wish Indycar would stop trying to be anything more than a regional race series. Take the 500 out of it and that's exactly what it is.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3627613)   #3138
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Then I wish Indycar would stop trying to be anything more than a regional race series. Take the 500 out of it and that's exactly what it is.
It's a regional series in that it takes place in North America but the 500 always attracted international drivers from the outset, long before an American, open wheel, single seater series was devised. However, once such a series was in place that changed with CART in the late '80s and '90s, when foreign drivers and ex F1 drivers, who couldn't get seats in F1, came over to race in CART as a viable alternative to F1. CART itself threatened to become a viable alternative to F1. Many would argue, including my self, that CART reached it's zenith round about '99/2000 when the 500 had been off the CART calendar for a few years.

Despite Tony George's attempts to turn IndyCar into a home grown series, with American drivers racing only on ovals, he failed and what we have now is pretty much a return to what was happening in CART, during the '80s and '90s; foreign drivers looking to race in a series that's a viable alternative to F1. With all the nonsense, that's going on in F1 at the moment, like the Qualifying format and Red Bull threatening to quit F1, open wheel single seater racing needs a viable alternative.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 27 Mar 2016 at 02:53.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 07:00 (Ref:3627734)   #3139
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
On this basis F1 is just an overblown club event!

Last edited by wnut; 27 Mar 2016 at 07:13.
Old 27 Mar 2016, 07:12 (Ref:3627736)   #3140
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
However, once such a series was in place that changed with CART in the late '80s and '90s, when foreign drivers and ex F1 drivers, who couldn't get seats in F1, came over to race in CART as a viable alternative to F1.
Oh I know my history. The years with Blundell, Brack and of course Mansell were great great days. Back then we had a weekly Saturday lunchtime show, focusing on Mansell admittedly, but CART was getting some awareness from a mainstream audience in the UK.

Quote:
...and what we have now is pretty much a return to what was happening in CART, during the '80s and '90s; foreign drivers looking to race in a series that's a viable alternative to F1.
...which one of its three most significant team owners / promoters doesn't want, and a series where the majority of coverage now available roots so strongly for US drivers much of it is unreadable. Oh how I laughed when Hildebrand but Indy turn 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
On this basis all of F1 is just an overblown club event!
On the basis of what sorry? International public awareness? Actual sponsor dollars (although F1 does have its own ride buyers)? Global audiences? I think the only category F1 is behind on is "number of overrated drivers related to famous fathers"
Old 27 Mar 2016, 10:44 (Ref:3627761)   #3141
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
...which one of its three most significant team owners / promoters doesn't want, and a series where the majority of coverage now available roots so strongly for US drivers much of it is unreadable. Oh how I laughed when Hildebrand but Indy turn 4...
I'm not too sure what your point is.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3628704)   #3142
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, and Wheldon ran about one season of Formula Ford before jumping ship to the US junior formula scene...way to defeat your point.

I think he's mistaking a few comments by Robin Miller for the rest of NBCSN. Most of that was when Newgarden won at Barber last year, incidentally he also lead the most laps in 2015.

Indy Lights is one of the few feeder series that increased its numbers in 2016, with the likes of Dean Stoneman and Felix Rosenqvist joining its grid. Looking at the international nature of the Mazda Road to Indy, with 18 countries represented, there's clearly a draw from the scholarship system and more level playing field (no billionaires buying the junior teams here).

According to the F1 driver salaries I saw last year, only 6 drivers made more than anyone on the Indycar grid and several (eg anyone at Red Bull) make much less than their equivalents. Despite winning 3 races in 2014, Ricciardo was on about $1.5m. Including prize money, his rough counterpart Ryan Hunter-Reay made in excess of $3 million for similar performance - 3 race wins. Then you have the cases that bring sponsors with them (Hulkenberg with DEKRA, for example) to supplement what the team pays them, if they're not outright pay drivers.

Manufacturer teams are banned in Indycar, so there is obviously still a discrepancy between what Merc pay and Team Penske pays (though it was enough to lure Montoya back from Nascar). Comparing the privateers is quite favourable as I've already discussed, given the relative team budgets in either championship.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 16:53 (Ref:3628763)   #3143
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Bourdais' transporter is damaged by fire on the way to Phoenix.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/12...amaged-in-fire
Old 30 Mar 2016, 18:18 (Ref:3628796)   #3144
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since I can't edit my earlier post, I'll link my sources here:

Hunter-Reay earnings estimate from USA Today - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nner/10104579/

F1 driver salaries - http://www.crash.net/f1/news/221215/...arns-most.html
Old 30 Mar 2016, 23:37 (Ref:3628895)   #3145
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
It looks like Bourdais' car escaped fire damage.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/12...amaged-by-fire
Old 11 Apr 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3631882)   #3146
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Graham's livery for Long Beach.

I like it a lot.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 15:52 (Ref:3631890)   #3147
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Interesting to Theodore Racing's logo on the car's floor end plate, or what ever they call that bit.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 15:03 (Ref:3632115)   #3148
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Looks cool. Much better than the red and white Steak and Shake livery.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3632126)   #3149
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting to Theodore Racing's logo on the car's floor end plate, or what ever they call that bit.
I recently read an article that Teddy Yip's son is expanding the Theodore Racing brand. Great to see it at Long Beach, it was on a lot of Dan Gurney's Eagles back in the day.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 17:02 (Ref:3632139)   #3150
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
MillerCoors sign a multi year deal with IndyCar.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/04/...s-announcement