Old 27 Jul 2014, 21:47 (Ref:3439153)   #1
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The official statement is here
Old 27 Jul 2014, 21:52 (Ref:3439154)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
The official statement is here
Terrible news, my thoughts to his friends and family. Historic motorsport has lost a very valuable guy :-(
Old 28 Jul 2014, 06:21 (Ref:3439156)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've watched Denis race, Austin Healeys in particular, with a lot of success for many years but only met him for the first time this year. My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

RIP, Denis
Old 28 Jul 2014, 06:34 (Ref:3439163)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Colourful cars, colourful trucks, colourful family. RIP Denis, my condolences to all family and friends.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 06:38 (Ref:3439165)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Always loved watching Denis race his healey when I was a kid, brilliant fun watching him slide it around, condolences to his family, friends and collegues at welch motorsport, he will be sorely missed. RIP
Old 28 Jul 2014, 07:06 (Ref:3439172)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've watched him and shared a track with him, even purchased some of his products. Very sad to read this news. RIP Denis and my sincere condolences to all of his family and friends.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 07:35 (Ref:3439176)   #7
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this terrible time. Thoughts also go out to the marshals, medics and officials involved.
RIP
Dave
Old 28 Jul 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3439191)   #8
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Denis We had some great races together

Benn Simms
Old 28 Jul 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3439194)   #9
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only knew Denis from a distance but he seemd always to have a smile and a nod for folk. A great loss to his family and our motorsport.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3439196)   #10
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last Wednesday night on the way down to Silverstone on the M1, Denis and I raced each other in our respective motorhomes... he won as normal.
Reaching Silverstone he realised that I was going to have to get in that massive motorhome queue, so Denis being Denis told the guy on the gate I was with him and I too jumped the line and headed off to the BRDC camper park.
We were only joking about it Sunday morning...

One of the first guys I ever met in historic racing and at the age of 15 when you saw him hold a Healey sideways down the main straight at Donington, well you don't forget that.

Just a good bloke.

Andy.

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Jul 2014 at 09:53. Reason: Amendment at poster's request
Old 28 Jul 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3439198)   #11
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never raced against Denis, but was often in the same race if you know what I mean. It doesn't lessen the tragedy, but I'll bet he was having fun. My sincerest condolences to the family, and also the staff at his company.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3439224)   #12
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good bye Old Friend.

I have just learned of this tragic event. I am in shock. Terrible terrible news.
Gerry Taylor.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3439240)   #13
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember a HSCC Oulton Park Gold cup meet when I was a young kid of around 14 I'd guess, I was out riding my bike somewhere near the woods and heard the distinctive rumble of 3 litres I peddled off to deers leap to watch as the mighty Healey arrived majestically broadside under total control of Denis. A True master of the broadside. I remember rushing back to tell dad all about it.
About three years back I raced him at the classic in the FJ race we had such an almighty race it was all I could do in final laps to hang on to him in his Lotus and by luck I just piped him to the line we were inches apart on the last few laps often sliding in unison with not so much as a touch we had total confidence in each other. He was not amused to be beaten by a Drum braked car and this was before the new track limit rule, I was a little wide to say the least over the line on the final lap. He was rather unhappy that the result stood but after a few minutes soon calmed down and we had a chat about the race.

Benn
Old 28 Jul 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3439245)   #14
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news.

My thoughts with his Family.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3439257)   #15
nigel grant
Rookie

nigel grant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DENIS WELCH

We in the Grant family are devasted with this terrible news. I first met Denis in the early 80.s when I was a 21 year old racing my big Healey. The sight and sound of Denis drifting his big Healey(Bulldog) round the circuits of Britain was stunning it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.
He and Tina always found time for my dad who now in his 80's would call round at the motorhome for a chat probaly at the most inconveinent time but Denis stopped what he was doing and gave him some of his time anyway.When my son Callum started racing Denis always gave him encouragement and found time to watch the occasional race, Callum enjoyed chatting to him and I always felt Denis enjoyed it too.
Denis Welch has always been a part of the historic Motorsport world for as long as I can remember and I can't imagine racing without him or probaly don't want too.
Our hearts go out to Tina, Jeremy and Tim and the rest of the Welch family, we will miss him.
I have always considered Denis to be a "Legend Of Historic racng" and I will remember him as just that.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3439313)   #16
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My condolences to his family and friends. Sad, sad news. RIP.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 15:32 (Ref:3439345)   #17
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We've known Denis since the Healey days. He always had time to stop and chat and we would always make a point of finding him in the paddock. A top bloke and historic racing has got very much poorer with this sad news.

RIP Denis and all our best wishes to his family and very many friends.

Mind you, that race track in the sky won't know what's hit it!
Old 29 Jul 2014, 08:13 (Ref:3439581)   #18
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just coming to terms with the dreadful news on Sunday. My team and I at Copse were having a great day watching some epic races until events unfolded.
My thoughts are with the family and my marshal colleagues who attended the accident.
Rest in peace Denis, we are going to miss you and Bulldog.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3439613)   #19
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Such a lovely man, such a wonderful driver – it was a privilege to share a track with him (even though I only ever saw the back of his car from a distance...).

Condolences to Tina and the family.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3439702)   #20
Sue Spence
Rookie

Sue Spence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew and I are so sad to hear this tragic news. We have very many fond memories. We were both lucky enough to share a race track with Denis in FJ, he was always willing to give me advice to help my race craft. I remember the day he melted my shoes in the Bulldog and we had so many chats over a glass or two with him and Tina. After Andrew's accident in 2005 Denis and Tina gave us constant, much needed support.
It seems hard to accept we will never see that happy, smiling face again. Tina and the family are very much in our thoughts at this very difficult time.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3440207)   #21
paddock.one
Racer

England
Cumbria
paddock.one should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great loss to British and International historic racing.
First met Denis over twenty years ago when I started marshaling at Brands, and he would always stop for a chat - as interested in what I'd been doing as I was keen to hear about his latest outings.
Well remember the Bulldog and other cars he enjoyed competing with, alongside the engineering expertise he obviously passed on to Jeremy and others...
I was at the Classic (paddock marshal) with my son, and enjoyed - as always - a chat with Denis only about ten minutes before the start of Race 2.
Condolences to Tina, Jeremy and Tim - I know all the marshals will join the whole historic racing community in saluting a great guy and a great racer... MB.