Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jul 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2922737)   #51
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ferrari is the new McLaren.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2922739)   #52
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Wouldn't it have been easier to just put everything on a disc?
Old 6 Jul 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2922742)   #53
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 29 Dec 2011, 20:45 (Ref:3005298)   #54
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marcin Bukowski is another technical reinforcement at Scuderia Ferrari?. He works on CFD simulations and was previously employed by Mclaren.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Ferrari is the new McLaren.
Yes.
Old 21 May 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3408789)   #55
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso says that there have been no changes at Ferrari since Mattaiacci's arrival as team principal.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114045

I would suspect he is trying to find out who does what still as he learns about his new job.
Old 21 May 2014, 20:05 (Ref:3408792)   #56
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At a guess, the same quality as before, just a different muppet delivering it....
Old 21 May 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3408827)   #57
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Alonso says that there have been no changes at Ferrari since Mattaiacci's arrival as team principal.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114045

I would suspect he is trying to find out who does what still as he learns about his new job.
I understood that Mattiacci is a manager / salesman, so his impact on the car should be, let us say absolutely minimal.
Old 22 May 2014, 08:33 (Ref:3408908)   #58
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I understood that Mattiacci is a manager / salesman, so his impact on the car should be, let us say absolutely minimal.
I would think that somebody coming in from a non racing background would take time to figure everything out.
The only other comparable situation I can think of in F1 was when Briatore joined Beneton. However he had Pat Symonds as an engineering manager who seemed to look after a lot of the technical stuff. Is there anybody like that at Ferrari?
Old 22 May 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3409013)   #59
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari have Pat Fry and James Allison. I would assume that Mattiacci would let them take the lead on the engineering side
Old 22 May 2014, 15:27 (Ref:3409023)   #60
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
It looks like de Montezemolo wants to keep his star driver as he has been heaping praise on him and says that changes at Ferrari are being made.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28088.html
Old 22 May 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3409125)   #61
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Ferrari have Pat Fry and James Allison. I would assume that Mattiacci would let them take the lead on the engineering side
Er, one of them, yes, not both!
Old 22 May 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3409145)   #62
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
It's harsh, but Ferrari the greatest name in F1 is lost in space, this latest addition does not know his arse from his elbow ..
Old 22 May 2014, 23:30 (Ref:3409178)   #63
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Ha, you're right! Well Pat Fry is le grand fromage of engineering for Ferrari so probably him. One of the only times I can safely say a dictatorship is better than democracy!
Old 22 May 2014, 23:30 (Ref:3409179)   #64
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
It looks like de Montezemolo wants to keep his star driver as he has been heaping praise on him and says that changes at Ferrari are being made.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28088.html
I think that Monty's star driver should concentrate on improving the team he has got, and refrain from making destructive remarks.

I don't believe that McLaren will have him; Ron; and I don't think that RBR or Mercedes even vaguely need him.
The other teams just keep blowing smoke up his skirt about how good they think he is, and stand back and watch him attack Ferrari, running around and kicking all the furniture over, and the muppets at Ferrari respond to Alonso's pressure by making stupid and damaging decisions.
Old 23 May 2014, 03:41 (Ref:3409221)   #65
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think that Monty's star driver should concentrate on improving the team he has got, and refrain from making destructive remarks.

I don't believe that McLaren will have him; Ron; and I don't think that RBR or Mercedes even vaguely need him.
The other teams just keep blowing smoke up his skirt about how good they think he is, and stand back and watch him attack Ferrari, running around and kicking all the furniture over, and the muppets at Ferrari respond to Alonso's pressure by making stupid and damaging decisions.
This post and Jeremy's comment in post #62 are two of the most perceptive and accurate analytical comments on the current state of Ferrari that I have observed since the beginning of the season.

beer:
Old 23 May 2014, 03:42 (Ref:3409222)   #66
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:

This post and Jeremy's comment in post #62 are two of the most perceptive and accurate analytical comments on the current state of Ferrari that I have observed since the beginning of the season.

Old 23 May 2014, 06:16 (Ref:3409245)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
If they've brought Allison in to work for Fry it won't work. Allison must have been given his own brief for next year's car.
So far I can't see anything hugely impressive that Fry has achieved and if anything he is being moved sideways not upwards...
Old 23 May 2014, 07:16 (Ref:3409266)   #68
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the muppets at Ferrari respond to Alonso's pressure by making stupid and damaging decisions.
Such as...
Old 23 May 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3409279)   #69
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Such as...
Substituting Mattiacci for Domenicali for a start.
Old 23 May 2014, 09:11 (Ref:3409297)   #70
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Substituting Mattiacci for Domenicali for a start.

I'm sorry, couldn't help myself.

Can you please explain further on how Alonso was responsible for Domenicali's decision to quit? And if you could please provide any evidence of this being fact, as you seem so sure it being the case - it would be a greatly appreciated.

Oh, and please feel free to expand further on all the other "stupid and damaging decisions" Ferrari have made that were all influenced by Alonso.
Old 23 May 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3409318)   #71
wnut
Veteran

http://www.pitpass.com/51624/Alonso-...stration-grows

Dominecali's decision to quit - sure!?

"As Fernando Alonso admits that nothing has really changed at Ferrari since the sacking of Stefano Domenicali, the frustration is evident."

Plus

"Having admitted that when first offered the job he thought it was an April fool joke, all eyes are on Mattiacci, who, in the opinion of many, has inherited one of the worst jobs in Formula One"
Old 23 May 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3409337)   #72
321Go
Veteran

That's it!? That's your concrete evidence that Alonso was responsible for Domenicali's decision to quit??

Thanks for providing the 'evidence'. But it does not prove a thing, and I'll stick with what Alonso himself said about Domenicali's decision than the crap you've come up with.

Alonso was the second person Stefano called after he made the decision to quit. First call was to Montezemolo. Alonso had great respect for Stefano, and vise versa. They were very close. Had the same ambitions for the team. And at times, they both tried too hard or over stepped the mark. And when they did, the other was always the first to offer his opinion, suggestions or a talking to if needed. It was a respectful - professional relationship, and a close friendship.

I have no evidence that Alonso wasn't - or even was the reason Domenicali quit. But from hearing Alonso speak post Domenicali's sudden decision, and reading some of Alonso's comments in the media, I have no doubt Alonso was just as surprised to hear about Stefano quitting as was the rest of the SF team, and the F1 world. Alonso, like many others believed Stefano was a scapegoat to the real issues at Ferrari. His comment pre China GP ("In this race, we will not improve by one second, because Stefano wasn't doing the front wing or the rear wing...) was cheeky, but says a lot about what he believes the issues are. But something had to give, and Stefano was it.

BTW, what has come to light recently is that this was to be Domenicali's last year in F1 anyway. Domenicali has revealed to a Italian journalist that no matter how Ferrari faired this season, even if they were to win a championship, it was to be his last year in F1.

Some of Alonso's comments post Domenicali's decision, and pre China GP are below. Taken from Sky Sports F1 and James Allen on F1.

"Stefano is a great man, first of all, and I am a close friend of his - that is no secret. We still have a close relationship, we have been talking throughout the week, and that will continue because we have known each other for many years.

"As a Team Principal he made good choices and did good things. We had missed opportunities in 2012 and 2010, and they missed an opportunity with Felipe in 2008. If not, he would have three championships in the pocket.

“I think he brought in Pat Fry, he brought James Allison, Raikkonen, so I think all the things that people ask from him he was giving to them. The results in sport are important and the pressure at Ferrari is also quite big, so he made his decision and we will try to move forward in different directions but try to move forward.”

"We need to accept what Stefano decided. He wasn't in the mood to continue with the feeling of having everything on his shoulders. We need to respect his decision."

And post Chinese GP, after finishing on the podium - Alonso said:

"Obviously this podium is dedicated to him in a way because probably all the parts from now until July or August are coming from the team working under Stefano, so hopefully we can give some great Sundays at home in front of the TV to Stefano."

Reading those comments, it sure doesn't sound to me that Alonso wanted Domenicali out of the team. In fact, I think it was the last thing Alonso needed.
Old 24 May 2014, 00:46 (Ref:3409616)   #73
wnut
Veteran

321Go, how much pressure and strain do you think Alonso constantly whining to the Italian press and criticizing Ferrari place on Domenicali from the Ferrari board, he was after all the team principal and responsible for all the areas that Alonso constantly whines about.

You are completely right, Domenicali being pushed out of Ferrari; he was; is going to wreck Alonso's life, his pressure resulted in dumb decisions being made! Now Alonso has someone with no racing experience running the team, good luck with that!

Alonso needs to take a few tips out of the Schumacher, Vettel, Rosberg, Button handbook of team building and consolidation! When did you ever see whining in the press about what a lousy car they have got?

If you cannot see the problems that Alonso brings with him and the damage he does, I can't help you. He is just plain not a team player imo.
Old 24 May 2014, 02:47 (Ref:3409636)   #74
321Go
Veteran

Sorry wnut.. nothing you say that will convince me that Alonso had pressured Domenicali to quit. Nothing. You are just assuming.

Yes, Domenicali was under massive pressure. Pressure from the drivers is normal. But that is pressure that any Team Principle of an under performing team would be under. The pressure of being the Team Principle of the 'iconic' F1 team and under performing is ten fold greater. But when one of your hands is forcefully tied behind your back, it's hard to come out fighting for the win. Domenicali did not have the back up of his President. The relationship between them has been rocky since Domenicali employed Alonso, going against the previous Team Principles decision to never to employ Alonso at Ferrari. But with Alonso, Domenicali had the back up to take on the fight - even with one hand tied behind his back. So he knew he made the right decision in employing Fernando.

Fernando is not the issues Ferrari is facing, and has been facing for some years now. Fernando's outbursts are something any driver who feels the way he does will do from time to time. To be F1's number one driver, driving for the 'number one' team, and not win one championship since joining five seasons ago would be frustrating to any driver who feels he should be achieving more.

Fact is Domenicali faced most pressure from higher up the food chain at Ferrari. Take Aldo Costa for example, the person responsible for the Mercedes 2014 car. Domenicali sacked Costa in July 2011, who had been at Ferrari since 1996, and played an integral part in Ferrari's dominant years. Was Alonso involved in that decision? Not really. Alonso wanted Costa to stay. Montezemolo wanted Costa gone. Domenicali responded to the Presidents pressure and request. Costa was another scapegoat. You can add Chris Dyer, to that list as well.

BTW, Ferrari wind tunnel issues ring a bell? Aldo Costa suspected issues with the tunnel back in 2008, and wanted it looked at. Nope said the President. Then after Costa was sacked, the tunnel was shut down for a 'major upgrade'. But to this day, the Ferrari engineers are still finding correlation issues between the data coming from the tunnel and that gathered on the track. So what next then Luca says.. I know. Let's sack Domenicali and employ the best aerodynamicist. Maybe he can fix it. What's Adrian Newey doing next year?
Old 24 May 2014, 03:04 (Ref:3409637)   #75
wnut
Veteran

321Go, I was not saying that Alonso pressurized Domenicali directly to resign, I am saying that as a result of the adverse publicity that Alonso generated the board of Ferrari had to find a scape goat to save face in the Italian press and got rid of Domenicali.
This I believe is a stupid decision, and agree that it will not benefit Alonso at all.
The decision is however, I believe caused by Alonso's actions.

I thought Monty should have gone.

As for Adrian I am sure that he has no plans to join in Ferrari's politics in 2015 or any other time, I believe he thinks that Ferrari would be unpleasant to work for, and he does not need their rubbish in his life.
Look at how the RBR guys interact, it is a very collegiate environment. Not Ferrari at all!